• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Train wreck hand

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-November-09, 06:41

Here is a board from a local heat of the County mixed pairs, where partner and I played very well and ended up with a poor score (much lower than I expected given our play). Here is a hand where we got it badly wrong:

I was North. It didn't occur to me that partner was gambling 3NT based on a long minor and a heart stop, so I went for a penalty. WRONG, 4 made +1 after I led the 3 and never got in again to make my A.

The best we can do is pass 3 out which gives us a slightly above average score. No-one else bid 4, so once they found it we are getting a near bottom. Others are in 3, 4-2, 4-2 and 5X-3. I'm not sure the South hand is quite up to a gambling 3NT opposite a silent partner, what do you think?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-09, 08:57

View PostAL78, on 2019-November-09, 06:41, said:

The best we can do is pass 3 out which gives us a slightly above average score. No-one else bid 4, so once they found it we are getting a near bottom. Others are in 3, 4-2, 4-2 and 5X-3. I'm not sure the South hand is quite up to a gambling 3NT opposite a silent partner, what do you think?

I would probably risk it, and as it turns out it's going to be just 1 down on hearts lead.
I can't see what you were doubling on, even if it made little difference in your field.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-09, 09:18

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-09, 08:57, said:

I would probably risk it, and as it turns out it's going to be just 1 down on hearts lead.
I can't see what you were doubling on, even if it made little difference in your field.

He was doubling because he was expecting a lot more for S's bid. I wouldn't bid 3N, my diamond suit has too many holes and if partner has one or two small ones this can go very wrong.

Also it's -2, are you really going to want to explain to partner why you went off when the W hand had Kx and the QJ high heart suit ? Rather than the club honours

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-09, 10:06

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-09, 08:57, said:

East doesn't think 4 is making, as they didn't bid it immediately, so why shouldn't I believe him?

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-November-09, 22:23

3NT by South is fanciful. Given West's pre-empt, South is entitled to place his partner with about 8 HCPs. Except if the opponents block their suits, or West finds the wrong lead, it's going to be hard to find 9 tricks without North having 2 aces and the suit running. I would pass as South. Given the vulnerability I would trust the opponents to pre-empt sensibly.

Admittedly it is an unlucky hand, but gambling here (with a gambling 3NT sort of hand) just doesn't feel right.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-10, 04:11

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-November-09, 22:23, said:

Admittedly it is an unlucky hand, but gambling here (with a gambling 3NT sort of hand) just doesn't feel right.

With what sort of hand do you gamble if not with a gambling sort of hand? ;)

I agree it's borderline, but about half the points in the pack are missing in this auction and if you trust partner then East's pass may well be wrong.

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-10, 06:12

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-10, 04:11, said:

With what sort of hand do you gamble if not with a gambling sort of hand? ;)

I agree it's borderline, but about half the points in the pack are missing in this auction and if you trust partner then East's pass may well be wrong.

If it were me, and trying not to result, I would want another diamond to bid 3NT on the South hand. The pre-empt increases the likelihood of bad breaks so gambling on a six card suit running opposite a small doubleton feels dubious to me. I have some sympathy with partner's bid, the lack of action by East suggests I don't hold a bust, so there is room for me to hold a couple of useful cards to generate a couple of tricks, if the diamond suit runs.

I am not sure if my initial pass was optimal, but I didn't feel I had enough strength to voluntarily bid at the three level. I thought if partner had a hand where game was on opposite my 7 count, she would find another bid. I kind of had the worst hand for a pre-empt in front of me, a spade suit but not strong enough to bid it, so good chance of losing a 5-3 fit.

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-10, 17:27

What was your opening 1N range?

If 1N would have been 12-14, then North should be trying very hard to bid over 3 with a hand that might have game opposite 15 balanced. Two aces almost always qualifies. So, in that case, South's 3N bid is rather rash, because North's pass has already denied that hand.

If 1N would have been 15-17, then North could very well pass with many 8-10 hcp hands where game is on. I have more sympathy for South's 3N bid in that case, though I still don't like it.

#9 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-11, 02:57

View Postakwoo, on 2019-November-10, 17:27, said:

What was your opening 1N range?

If 1N would have been 12-14, then North should be trying very hard to bid over 3 with a hand that might have game opposite 15 balanced. Two aces almost always qualifies. So, in that case, South's 3N bid is rather rash, because North's pass has already denied that hand.

If 1N would have been 15-17, then North could very well pass with many 8-10 hcp hands where game is on. I have more sympathy for South's 3N bid in that case, though I still don't like it.

12-14. Yes I would normally strain to bid in this situation but felt to do so would be pushing it too far.

#10 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-11, 22:54

Can I shoot both of you.

That is very much what the 1M - balance with 3N should be...but that hand is at least a trick short, maybe more. A 7th diamond or a black A/K at the very least, maybe, if not both.

X of 4 is gonzoland though.

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-12, 11:10

You should discuss your signals. Not getting your spade trick here is inexcusable.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-12, 13:17

View Postcherdano, on 2019-November-12, 11:10, said:

You should discuss your signals. Not getting your spade trick here is inexcusable.

I lead low diamond, partner wins.
Partner plays a second diamond, ruffed by declarer.
Declarer plays a heart, won by partner.
Partner plays a club, end of defence.

How is it possible for me to signal for a spade?

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-12, 13:30

Your second diamond must be suit preference.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users