BBO Discussion Forums: Pro-Am Swiss - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pro-Am Swiss No Agreement

Poll: Pro-Am Swiss (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Adjust to:

1. No adjustment (5 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. 3D making 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Spades, down 1 or 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-27, 15:36

Pros sit North and East. The East Pro did not check their convention card, which is marked "Intermediate", and thought his bid was weak. An Alert is required, but was not given. South looked at the card, and it came to the attention of the table that the "agreement" was Intermediate. South then passed, but later stated that he would have bid 3 diamonds if the 2 heart bid had been weak. The table result was making 2 Spades. NS appeal.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-27, 15:51

LH2650, on 2019-October-27, 15:36, said:

Pros sit North and East. The East Pro did not check their convention card, which is marked "Intermediate", and thought his bid was weak. An Alert is required, but was not given. South looked at the card, and it came to the attention of the table that the "agreement" was Intermediate. South then passed, but later stated that he would have bid 3 diamonds if the 2 heart bid had been weak. The table result was making 2 Spades. NS appeal.

At first sight I would reject this. South was misinformed about the strength implied by East's bid, but I see no reason why that should prevent him from bidding 3 (or 3) on the basis of partner's opening bid and his own hand. He was also aware of the infraction before his call but did not see the need to involve TD until the table result matured.

East cannot check his own convention card, but I would warn him about not remembering an unusual agreement, especially if he is a pro and presumably the author of the card.

#3 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-27, 16:21

Did you consider whether 2 spades was forcing?

#4 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2019-October-27, 16:40

Is the alert only given if the jump overcall is weak - or is the strength of the overcall have to be given irresepctive?

To my mind this comes out as no rectification since South got the correct description of the partnership agreement so there is no MI but no doubt someone will say 'South should have been advised "We have no agreement, but amongst the options are a weak jump overcall and an intermediate jump overcall."'

The next question arises from my first. If only weak jump overcalls have to be alerted then East has UI - from the failure of West to alert. This IMHO demonstrably suggests passing as East has a much weaker hand than he expects West to think he has. It does look, however, that a heart contract may make as many or more tricks than a spade contract to NS have't been damaged by the UI either. Obvious polling would be needed to see how the final contract ends up - it could be 4H -1, 3H, 3S for instance if pass is not allowed and something such as 3H was decided to be the LA.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#5 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-27, 17:00

An Alert is required if the jump overcall is intermediate.

To clarify, a Pro is a Life Master, and an Amateur is not.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-October-27, 17:38

The amateur might not have learned how to bid, but they certainly have learned how to work the appeals system...
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-27, 19:15

pescetom, on 2019-October-27, 15:51, said:

At first sight I would reject this. South was misinformed about the strength implied by East's bid, but I see no reason why that should prevent him from bidding 3 (or 3) on the basis of partner's opening bid and his own hand. He was also aware of the infraction before his call but did not see the need to involve TD until the table result matured.

East cannot check his own convention card, but I would warn him about not remembering an unusual agreement, especially if he is a pro and presumably the author of the card.

It seems normal that the am would give a preferred card to the pro, and this is supported in this case by the fact that the pro didn’t know what it said.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2019-October-27, 20:40

What, exactly, did NS appeal?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-28, 02:33

blackshoe, on 2019-October-27, 20:40, said:

I fully agree with you. We should at least know how NS claim to be damaged and also what the EW defense is.
Joost

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-28, 03:50

weejonnie, on 2019-October-27, 16:40, said:

Is the alert only given if the jump overcall is weak - or is the strength of the overcall have to be given irresepctive?

The alert rules certainly should be clarified. It seems unlikely to me that an "intermediate" jump overcall does not require alert or announcement. If anything a weak jump overcall might not do so. But more likely both require some kind of alert or announcement.

... South got the correct description of the partnership agreement so there is no MI but no doubt someone will say 'South should have been advised "We have no agreement, but amongst the options are a weak jump overcall and an intermediate jump overcall."'

I think it may be an overbid that the description on the card ("intermediate") was the correct description in this case. East didn't seem to know about it, and West didn't alert it if he should (as I would imagine). The OP says: "An Alert is required, but was not given. South looked at the card, and it came to the attention of the table that the "agreement" was Intermediate.". So it also looks as if South only got the description of "intermediate" by actually reading the card when it was already clear to the table that EW had no real agreement.

#11 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-28, 05:34

Did East speak up before the opening lead was faced to advise the opponents that at the time the 2H call was made, there was no agreement on its meaning? If he knowingly failed to correct the misinformation, that could merit a PP.
It would also have enabled the director to give South an opportunity to change his final pass to 3D.

#12 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-28, 05:38

Who called the TD, when, and what ruling was made at the table that NS are appealing?

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-28, 07:10

Vampyr, on 2019-October-27, 19:15, said:

It seems normal that the am would give a preferred card to the pro

I'll take your word on that, although I imagined the contrary.

Vampyr, on 2019-October-27, 19:15, said:

and this is supported in this case by the fact that the pro didn’t know what it said.

That could be because it was the am's card and he had not really read it, or it could be because it was a card he wrote for ams and he forgot what it said. Either way not very ... professional, but I don't see any reason to propend for one explanation rather than the other.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2019-October-28, 07:52

What’s the jurisdiction?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-October-28, 08:36

pescetom, on 2019-October-28, 07:10, said:

I'll take your word on that, although I imagined the contrary.

Have you played in many pro-ams? In all the pro-ams I've played in, the expectation is that the pro is willing to play whatever the am is familiar with -- forcing unfamiliar conventions on the less experienced player will just confuse them. Sometimes the am wants to play something really eggregious and I'll reject it, or I'll try to teach the am a particular treatment to help them improve their game (most commonly that jump raises and jump shifts are weak in competition, when cue bids are available to show good hands).

Also, many pro-ams allow the players to refer to their convention cards. This is probably the most common situation where the exception in 20G3 is invoked.

#16 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-October-28, 09:16

If 2H is alertable if intermediate but not if weak, then it is illogical that South did not bid 3D because he thought 2H was weak, and I would reject the NS argument.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#17 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-28, 09:16

barmar, on 2019-October-28, 08:36, said:

Have you played in many pro-ams? In all the pro-ams I've played in, the expectation is that the pro is willing to play whatever the am is familiar with -- forcing unfamiliar conventions on the less experienced player will just confuse them. Sometimes the am wants to play something really eggregious and I'll reject it, or I'll try to teach the am a particular treatment to help them improve their game (most commonly that jump raises and jump shifts are weak in competition, when cue bids are available to show good hands).

Also, many pro-ams allow the players to refer to their convention cards. This is probably the most common situation where the exception in 20G3 is invoked.

Makes sense, thanks. Pro-ams are pretty much inexistent here, as are paying clients. If one plays with a pro it is because he's free and you want to improve - while he's not going to force unfamiliar conventions on you he likely won't want to bother with all yours either.

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-October-28, 09:19

The next question arises from my first. If only weak jump overcalls have to be alerted then East has UI - from the failure of West to alert.

We are told that intermediate jump overcalls require an alert, but not weak jump overcalls, so firstly we need to establish that from someone familiar with the alerting regulations in force.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#19 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-28, 09:38

pescetom, on 2019-October-28, 09:16, said:

Makes sense, thanks. Pro-ams are pretty much inexistent here, as are paying clients. If one plays with a pro it is because he's free and you want to improve - while he's not going to force unfamiliar conventions on you he likely won't want to bother with all yours either.

Pro-ams are generally misnamed. As the original poster clarified, a "pro" can be any life master and an "am" is anyone who isn't - the only monetary benefit to the "pro" is typically free entry. It's often set up as a fun game where the partners are randomly assigned, and maybe even swap during the session. Simple system cards are very useful.

A close cousin is a "teams of three" event. Each "pro" plays on a team of three newer players, generally playing one or two matches with each one over the course of the event. It's very helpful when you get a team of three people who all play the same system together.

#20 User is offline   LH2650 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-28, 12:18

blackshoe, on 2019-October-27, 20:40, said:

That he would have bid 3 diamonds (which makes 4 on reasonable play), if he had been properly informed. There is also the issue of whether a new suit by advancer is commonly played as forcing.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users