• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nil Desperandum

#21 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-29, 08:15

View PostPhilG007, on 2019-October-29, 07:03, said:

Since no-one ventured to post a solution I give it here.
West led the K
Declarer ducked the lead and West switched to a heart,taken by declarer's King. He then led the 10covered
by the King and Ace. Declarer then cashed the Aand pitched on it his A The Qand J were cashed and a club was led to dummy's King
and East's Ace(ducking would have served no useful purpose). East could now cash his Q but had no choice but to either concede the remaining
tricks to dummy's diamonds or the clubs in the closed hand. This was the full deal :-

Were you the declarer Phil? How did you come up with this line - I'm interested in your thought processes?

#22 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-29, 09:20

View PostTramticket, on 2019-October-29, 08:15, said:

Were you the declarer Phil? How did you come up with this line - I'm interested in your thought processes?

At the risk of being flippant, what else do you really want to do?

As for why he took this line... He probably took the line for all the reasons in my first post in this thread.

Spades need to be 8-2, and West can't have a minor suit entry or the hand is hopeless. Diamonds blocks and without the doubleton QH, North has no entries. So, it's time to end play East in Clubs or Hearts

#23 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-29, 13:51

1. From memory, "Bridge in the Menagerie" features a similar themed deal. If I recall, Karapet is credited with the beautiful declarer play.

2. How many Wests will find these two plays below? Was West World-Class?

View PostPhilG007, on 2019-October-29, 07:03, said:

West led the K. Declarer ducked the lead and West switched to a heart,taken by declarer's King. He then led the 10covered by the King

3. Instead of 10 at trick 3, isn't it better to lead the J? I feel like the Jack makes it (much?) harder for West to cover, no?

#24 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-29, 16:14

I did post a solution. It doesn't work on this layout. This will sound silly, but I genuinely believe it is more likely for E to have made a psychic 2H bid, with nearly no strength, some support, and 6 bad hearts, than for W to have 8 spades and a weak hand.

On the other hand, I would have gone down, and you made the hand, so it certainly looks like I'm the fool here.

EDIT: well, except for the bidding. I stand by what I said on that score.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users