• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Three Card Raise

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-27, 15:36

View Postcherdano, on 2019-October-27, 15:19, said:

If you partner would almost never double without 4 spades (as is quite common around here), I think 4S is quite a good bid at matchpoints.

In my case you can delete the almost, and partner knows that. It's a close call between spades and diamonds all the same, but those are the choices I think.

#22 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-28, 10:29

View Postnige1, on 2019-October-27, 04:40, said:

I accept that Sven is a legal eagle and many other top directors seem to agree with him but I still find this hard to believe. If this is Bridge law, then it's yet another example of it's craziness.:(

A couple decades ago south summoned claiming damage. It seems that EW were bidding spades and NS were bidding hearts and that NS were given MI. After seeing that the information was corrected I consulted with north then south away from the table. I asked,'what would you have done differently?' she started, 'I might have ….' At which point I corrected, 'What would you have done?' She (wanted a double shot at 5H is what she wanted) hemmed and hawed for over four minutes and confessed she would not have done differently.

My view was that the damage from the MI was S was misled into not bidding 5H- which was why I wanted to know what she would have done differently. Actually, I was looking forward to the warm feeling from adjusting the score to 5HX. Lo, except for south delaying the game 5 minutes Solomon successfully split the baby and south didn't get the score she richly deserved.

#23 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-October-30, 11:26

View Postaxman, on 2019-October-28, 10:29, said:

I asked,'what would you have done differently?' she started, 'I might have ….' At which point I corrected, 'What would you have done?' She (wanted a double shot at 5H is what she wanted) hemmed and hawed for over four minutes and confessed she would not have done differently.My view was that the damage from the MI was S was misled into not bidding 5H- which was why I wanted to know what she would have done differently. Actually, I was looking forward to the warm feeling from adjusting the score to 5HX. Lo, except for south delaying the game 5 minutes Solomon successfully split the baby and south didn't get the score she richly deserved.
It's a pity so few ordinary players understand how legal experts like pran and axman treat cases like these. In axman's example, the South player might be reluctant to advance self-serving hypothetical speculation. A street-wise player, aware of the likely director mind-set, might be less equivocal.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users