• You cannot reply to this topic

Alert Beyond 3NT Level Player Bids 4C and Alerted by his Pd

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-19, 14:42

View PostRMB1, on 2019-October-19, 13:30, said:

EBU Blue Book 4B4
"Once the auction is above the level of 3NT, no calls are to be alerted except for:
(a) Artificial suit bids above 3NT made before the opening bidder’s second turn to call (i.e. the first bid and the next three calls)"

(my emphasis)

So the intent is totally screwed up by a forcing pass ? in that opener has showed values, but not actually bid merely called so his second action after he shows values also falls under this ?

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-19, 15:13

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-October-19, 10:04, said:

OP appears to be in India, so India's regs would apply. The IBF Alerting Policy is at Appendix 3 of this document.

Interesting to see that in India too psych bids are prohibited in lower levels of competition.

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2019-October-19, 20:04

View PostRMB1, on 2019-October-19, 13:30, said:

EBU Blue Book 4B4
"Once the auction is above the level of 3NT, no calls are to be alerted except for:
(a) Artificial suit bids above 3NT made before the opening bidder’s second turn to call (i.e. the first bid and the next three calls)"

(my emphasis)

LOL Cannot work out from this whether a 4NT opening bid is alertable!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2019-October-19, 20:07

View Postpescetom, on 2019-October-19, 15:13, said:

Interesting to see that in India too psych bids are prohibited in lower levels of competition.

This is fine, as long as these lower level competitions have no association with the national body, the regional body or the WBF.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   captyogi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-20, 01:09

Yes, I am From India. So Bridge Federation of India ( BFI ) Regulations Applicable.

Reading All Above Replies I am More Confused.
Things Should Be Simple , Beyond 3NT Level Do Not Alert.
But For Safety Many Prefer to Alert as otherwise after the Bidding is Over Opps Call TD and He Did Not Alert, I Reserve My Right.

#26 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-20, 01:43

View Postnige1, on 2019-October-19, 07:46, said:

This illustrates the chaos caused by unnecessary regulation, especially when local variation multiplies confusion. The only upside is that we can create a "loony trivia quiz", asking which calls are alertable e.g.

• 4 (Gerber)?
  • 4N (Specific ace ask) ?
  • 1 Pass 4 (Splinter)?
  • 1 Pass 2 Pass 4 (Splinter)?
  • 1 4 (Pre-empt) Pass (Forcing)?
  • 1 4 (Pre-empt) Double (Take-out)?
  • 1 4 (Pre-empt) Double (Lead-directing)?
  • Pass (Natural) Pass 1 Pass 4 (Splinter)?
  • Pass (Forcing) Pass 1 Pass 4 (Exclusion)?

No. I don't now the answers. I doubt any player does. IMO...
  • All calls should be announced by the caller's partner (preferably by pointing to relevant boxes in a matrix of common explanations).
  • The only exception being when opponents ask you not to announce.
  • Even then, the declaring side would have to explain their auction before the opening lead.

These suggestions would save rain-forests. They would simplify relevant rules, perhaps enabling some players and directors to understand them. Arguably, they would also make the game more fun, speed it up, and reduce UI.

Rather than discussing the number of angels dancing on a pin I prefer the main rule of the Dutch regulation “Alert when you have reason to believe that your opponents might not be aware of the meaning of a call”. Still, you’re not allowed to alert calls over 3NT with the exception etc., or doubles unless the main rule applies. Overalerting - probably not in the OED - is not considered a serious infraction, but the use of the UI of course is. Problem: many weaker players hate an auction with a lot of alerting, like Puppet Stayman.
Joost

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-20, 03:07

View Postsanst, on 2019-October-20, 01:43, said:

Problem: many weaker players hate an auction with a lot of alerting, like Puppet Stayman.

Those who hate it are usually just resentful that they don't fully understand the auction even with explanations. I don't think that alerts have much to do with it. They hate control bidding or Kickback too and those are not alerted.

#28 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-20, 03:11

View Postcaptyogi, on 2019-October-20, 01:09, said:

Yes, I am From India. So Bridge Federation of India ( BFI ) Regulations Applicable.

Reading All Above Replies I am More Confused.
Things Should Be Simple , Beyond 3NT Level Do Not Alert.
But For Safety Many Prefer to Alert as otherwise after the Bidding is Over Opps Call TD and He Did Not Alert, I Reserve My Right.

With those clear rules things are simple. Do not alert over 3nt except for artificial calls in first round. If opponents call TD he will remind them of the rules.

#29 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2019-October-20, 04:21

9 Pass (Forcing) Pass 1 Pass 4 (Exclusion)?

In the EBU a forcing pass by agreement on the first round is not allowed - so the problem does not arise. (Blue Book 7A2 and 9A2)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#30 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2019-October-20, 04:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-October-19, 14:42, said:

So the intent is totally screwed up by a forcing pass ? in that opener has showed values, but not actually bid merely called so his second action after he shows values also falls under this ?

It is a tacit assumption in the Blue Book that opening forcing pass systems will only be permitted in events with screens (where WBF alerting applies.)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#31 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-October-20, 06:53

View PostRMB1, on 2019-October-20, 04:47, said:

It is a tacit assumption in the Blue Book that opening forcing pass systems will only be permitted in events with screens (where WBF alerting applies.)

I used to play at clubs that allowed them

#32 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-20, 07:07

View Postpescetom, on 2019-October-20, 03:07, said:

Those who hate it are usually just resentful that they don't fully understand the auction even with explanations. I don't think that alerts have much to do with it. They hate control bidding or Kickback too and those are not alerted.

Usually they don’t understand the auction at all. 2NT* (not necessarily balanced and therefore alerted)-3* (puppet stayman)-3* (4-card(s) M)-4 (both M, not alerted but I will warn before the OL less experienced opps that it’s not what they might think) get their heads spinning and quite often irritates them. “We play normal bridge!” or something like that.
Joost

#33 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-October-20, 07:55

View Postsanst, on 2019-October-20, 07:07, said:

Usually they don’t understand the auction at all. 2NT* (not necessarily balanced and therefore alerted)-3* (puppet stayman)-3* (4-card(s) M)-4 (both M, not alerted but I will warn before the OL less experienced opps that it’s not what they might think) get their heads spinning and quite often irritates them. “We play normal bridge!” or something like that.

Happens round here, I once had a system that was legal at all normal licencing levels banned at one local club (1m both //bal big NT lots of potential canapes) because their mainly octagenarian members couldn't cope with it.

#34 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-October-20, 13:51

View Postpescetom, on 2019-October-20, 03:07, said:

While that may be true in many cases, I think even experts find auctions where every bid is alerted to be tiresome. Last week at the club a Precision pair was in a relay auction where it took at least a half dozen rounds before they made it past 3NT and could stop alerting everything.

I wish there were just alerts for "beginning relay" and "ending relay", and we could take it for granted that everything in between is artificial.

#35 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2019-October-20, 14:34

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-October-20, 06:53, said:

I used to play at clubs that allowed them

I suggest that clubs that have regulations for permitted agreements that permit value-showing initial passes should adopt appropriate alerting regulations.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#36 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-October-20, 15:29

"Don't understand" may sometimes be unjust, but at least they find it difficult and resent the fact that it is not "normal". I agree, just don't see what it has to do with Alert, they usually ask for explanations and the outcome is the same in any case.

We play a variant of true puppet stayman over both 1NT and 2NT, so it often goes something like 1NT("15-17") - 2*("asks for 5-card major, does not promise strength or a 4-card major") - 2*("no 5-card major", "has he a 4-card major?", "you know as much as I do", frown) - 2*("asks for 4-card spades") - 3*("denies 4-card spades, shows max HCP") - 3NT - p.
They seem to find this more stressful than 1NT("15-17") - 2*("Stayman") - 2 - 2 - 3NT - p, even though "Stayman" means nothing, 2 may or may not have been forcing and the final contract is exactly the same.
I would have more sympathy if they resented not knowing whether opener has 4-card hearts B-)

#37 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2019-October-20, 19:29

So... your system does not permit to to check for majors and then show diamonds?

#38 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-20, 19:42

View PostVampyr, on 2019-October-20, 19:29, said:

So... your system does not permit to to check for majors and then show diamonds?

It's just normal puppet Stayman, so yes it does. If you had one four card major and diamonds, you'd bid three of the other major over 3, then can show a minor over 3NT.

#39 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2019-October-20, 21:12

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-October-20, 19:42, said:

It's just normal puppet Stayman, so yes it does. If you had one four card major and diamonds, you'd bid three of the other major over 3, then can show a minor over 3NT.

Yes, the trouble is when you were hoping for a 5-card major. You think of bidding 3M as denying that major. If you instead think of it as showing the other major, you will be able, if you wish, to develop better methods.

#40 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-20, 21:15

View PostVampyr, on 2019-October-20, 21:12, said:

Yes, the trouble is when you were hoping for a 5-card major. You think of bidding 3M as denying that major. If you instead think of it as showing the other major, you will be able, if you wish, to develop better methods.

3 by opener has already denied a 5 card major.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users