• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

play 4S matchpoints

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-20, 01:47

matchpoints
LHO leads a low diamond, appears to be from 3 or 4 (or stiff).

What's the best line?

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-20, 03:43

I would make further inquiries about the opening lead. What do they lead from 3 small, 4 small? What spot cards get played at trick 1.

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-20, 06:40

4th best leads, so the length is ambiguous.

#4 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-October-21, 04:16

You have 4 losers if spades don't behave, so I don't think there is much else than: win with the K and finesse the SK.
Suppose it doesn't work. You're home if opps don't attack clubs.
Unless you prefer to cash KJ of D and the SA and play the remaining D, hoping that D are 4-3 with Kx of S beside 3 D.
Or do I miss something?

#5 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-21, 14:25

This really requires more information about the opponents leads. This is a principle of restricted choice situation. Why did they lead a diamond? What is the situation in the round suits for a diamond lead to be right? My partner and I consider the 10 to be an honour, and will lead small from a suit headed by the 10. Is this their agreement? This really matters, because, this really screams of a singleton lead. If it's a singleton lead, what honours can West hold here that wouldn't preclude the singleton lead? Surely not AK of clubs for example.

After considering this, do we really think it's alright to take the spade finesse? Maybe we can get opponents to crash their club honours? A and out a spade could be right! If the spade finesse loses, the hand that might have diamond shortness is on lead again, and can't give themselves the ruff, but they can cross in either round suit potentially for a ruff. So, I'm tempted to play East for the singleton K. This would be a very different situation if I had any intermediates in spades at all.... but... I don't.

And then... sometimes... Spades break 2-2, and the diamond lead was from TXXX. :(

I'm probably not taking the finesse, and playing small to the A. It gives me some hope of shockingly poor defense in the event of a 4-0 spade break.

#6 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-October-21, 18:32

I think you have to play for some good breaks.

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-21, 22:07

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-October-20, 01:47, said:

matchpoints
LHO leads a low diamond, appears to be from 3 or 4 (or stiff).

What's the best line?

It's an interesting problem. +1

The 'greed' (for want of a better word) of wanting to make 11 tricks at MPs as opposed to actually making the contract at IMPs (and MPs too) may get in the way here.

Given that many still play Acol with a weak NT in the UK may mean that the contract could have played by North if this hand was played on this side of the Atlantic, and different bidding and a different lead would have occurred. That's a consideration too.

I used to play club bridge with a lovely man (a long-time deceased sadly) who's philosophy was to play to always make the contract first, at IMPs and MPs, and worry about overtricks after.

I guess he might have looked at this problem philosophically that (perhaps) on another lead there were only 9 or 10 tricks available (depending on your line of play) so it was paramount to make the contract at whatever cost. Just because you have been presented with a 'fortunate' lead of a that gives you a chance of making 11 shouldn't mean that you should do so, even though at MPs it could give you a top or shared top.

So I agree with johnu's line of play.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-October-22, 04:06

Stephen Tu ' matchpoints. LHO leads a low diamond, appears to be from 3 or 4 (or stiff)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
3 possible lines...
1. JohnU's line: KJ, A, Q, A
2. Rmnka447's line: K, run Q.
3. Cash KJ. Advance Q to A.

Line 1 wins when
- K is singleton (declarer makes an overtrick).
- Defender has Kx doubleton and 3 s.
- Defender with Kxx tripleton has 4+ s.

Line 2 wins when
- RHO has doubleton Kx.

Line 3 wins when
- RHO, with doubleton Kx, covers (as he should).
- LHO has doubleton Kx and 3 s.
- LHO has Kxx and 4+ s.

If RHO has Kx doubleton (3 cases), then Rmnka447's line 2 makes an overtrick, so might be best at pairs.

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-22, 10:11

"Wins" shouldn't be calculated in terms of "making the contract" at pairs. Rather, the candidate lines should be calculated relative to each other in terms of taking same or more or fewer tricks over all the possible combinations. E.g. line 1 beats line 2 on combos (set A), line 2 beats line 1 on combos (set B), set A has more combos than set B therefore line 1 > line 2.

There is also the question as to if taking the finesse line, if RHO covers, whether one plays for spades 2-2, or just plays off the diamonds. This gives up the overtrick in the Kx onside case, but might be necessary to make if RHO had stiff K or covered holding K??. One also has to calculate how often RHO should be covering the K (perhaps supposed to cover with KT? but not with K98, partner could have stiff A?)

I believe johnu's calculation is correct, unless someone can spot an error.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users