BBO Discussion Forums: MICHAEL'S CUE BID - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MICHAEL'S CUE BID

#1 User is offline   nondas 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 2019-September-23

Posted 2019-October-09, 15:15

Michael's cue bid convention allows you to show your 2 5+ card suits except if the opening is a Minor suit and we hold the other Minor and one Major. Is there a way to show my suit in such a case?

Thank you
Nondas
0

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,540
  • Joined: 2003-May-14

Posted 2019-October-09, 15:38

Unusual 2nt will show hearts and the other minor over a minor opening. There's no way to show spades and the other minor in a single bid (one can always of course bid 1S then try to show the second suit later), with the usual combination of Michaels + Unusual 2nt.
There are other less common conventions that do show these combinations, e.g. "Ghestem" which you can search for discussion on this forum, that each have their own particular advantages and disadvantages (being able to show all 2 suit combinations, not leaving a suit ambiguous, but giving up more natural bids/sometimes pushing auction higher with certain combos).

0

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,585
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2019-October-10, 05:47

Also, some people play a modified Michaels which shows spades and another.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

#4 User is offline   brislboy 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 2017-September-12

Posted 2019-October-10, 07:09

Useful!----better than dbl for 2 Suit holding,,,
0

#5 User is offline   kladenak 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 2010-October-28

Posted 2019-October-10, 08:30

Have a look at this link, I hope you will choose something...

https://www.blakjak.org/two_suit.htm
0

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,137
  • Joined: 2013-August-03
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Variable private
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-October-10, 09:12

 Stephen Tu, on 2019-October-09, 15:38, said:

Unusual 2nt will show hearts and the other minor over a minor opening. There's no way to show spades and the other minor in a single bid (one can always of course bid 1S then try to show the second suit later), with the usual combination of Michaels + Unusual 2nt.
There are other less common conventions that do show these combinations, e.g. "Ghestem" which you can search for discussion on this forum, that each have their own particular advantages and disadvantages (being able to show all 2 suit combinations, not leaving a suit ambiguous, but giving up more natural bids/sometimes pushing auction higher with certain combos).


Sir,We do use this combination of showing two suiters.We also use ROMAN two suited jump overcalls if our partner opts for that method.However ,I feel it is easy for those who are interested to locate articles on either methods online and it is beyond the scope of this column to go into the details here.Thanks.
0

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 909
  • Joined: 2013-February-24
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dundee Scotland United Kingdom
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-October-10, 13:34

 nondas, on 2019-October-09, 15:15, said:

Michael's cue bid convention allows you to show your 2 5+ card suits except if the opening is a Minor suit and we hold the other Minor and one Major. Is there a way to show my suit in such a case?

Thank you
Nondas


The problem with this convention is that it gives away your distribution.. If your side doesn't buy the contract,you've given valuable info
to the enemy declarer. In the same way if you do gain the contract you've tipped off the defenders. This is why I don't like gadgets like these,
They are a double edged sword. They do more harm than good.Posted Image
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)


"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog
0

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,149
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2019-October-10, 14:43

 PhilG007, on 2019-October-10, 13:34, said:

The problem with this convention is that it gives away your distribution.. If your side doesn't buy the contract,you've given valuable info
to the enemy declarer. In the same way if you do gain the contract you've tipped off the defenders. This is why I don't like gadgets like these,
They are a double edged sword. They do more harm than good.


To put it another (and I think more reasonable) way, you only draw a sword if you think you can impale your enemy with it. To some extent this depends upon the skill of your enemy and your capacity to evaluate that.
0

#9 User is offline   3338231 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 2019-October-02

Posted 2019-October-10, 18:07

In my regular partnership, we overcall 2-suited hands this way:
Michaels -- implies majors
-- over a minor, shows both majors
-- over a major, shows other major and unspecified minor
partner bid of 2 NT asks for the minor
Unusual NT -- implies minors
-- over a major, shows both minors
-- over a minor, shows other minor and unspecified major
partner bid of opp suit asks for the major
So in all cases, we can show both of our suits no
later than the 3 level (unless opps bid more)
0

#10 User is online   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,261
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2019-October-10, 18:30

 3338231, on 2019-October-10, 18:07, said:

-- over a minor, shows other minor and unspecified major
partner bid of opp suit asks for the major
So in all cases, we can show both of our suits no
later than the 3 level (unless opps bid more)

This doesn't make sense to me. If you bid 2N and I have support for one major, what do I bid? If I bid the major (or cue-bid their suit), we're forced to the 4 level every time you don't have it. So instead I probably have to give up on ever finding the major fit, which makes the original overcall pointless.
Feel free to send me a friend challenge of any format as often as you like. I'll always accept :)
0

#11 User is offline   3338231 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 2019-October-02

Posted 2019-October-10, 18:55

 smerriman, on 2019-October-10, 18:30, said:

This doesn't make sense to me. If you bid 2N and I have support for one major, what do I bid? If I bid the major (or cue-bid their suit), we're forced to the 4 level every time you don't have it. So instead I probably have to give up on ever finding the major fit, which makes the original overcall pointless.


"partner bid of opp suit"
(1D) 2NT -- 3D (what is your major?)
-- 3H/3S

not at the 4 level

Of course, I assume that when you make that cue bid, you have no desire to defend it (3- in their suit), no desire to play my minor (3- in that), so you've got 7+ cards in the majors. If you don't have 3 in my suit either, then you either have a balanced hand or a longish major suit of your own.
0

#12 User is online   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,261
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2019-October-10, 19:26

You missed the words "every time you don't have it" in my post.

With more than 3 cards in their suit, 'no desire to defend'? What are you going to do, pass 2NT? :)

With 3 cards in your minor (or length in their minor), and 3+ cards in your major, you'll be playing in the minor while everyone else who overcalled the major will be in the better major fit.
Feel free to send me a friend challenge of any format as often as you like. I'll always accept :)
0

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,845
  • Joined: 2006-May-18
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted Yesterday, 10:05

Here is a method that adds complexity but does allow you to show your suits clearly in a way that sometimes adds additional pressure to the opps over most other 2-suited methods:-

(1)
==
2 = WJO in a major; or + , strong
2 = WJO
2 = + , weak
2 = + , weak
2NT = + , any
3 = + , strong
--

(1)
==
2 = WJO in a major; or + , strong
2 = + , weak
2 = + , weak
2NT = + , any
3 = WJO
3 = + , strong
--
(-: Zel :-)
1

#14 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,882
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted Yesterday, 15:11

View PostVampyr, on 2019-October-10, 05:47, said:

Also, some people play a modified Michaels which shows spades and another.

With acquiescent partners, I play
(1M) 2M = ART 5+ OM and 5+ m.
(1m) 2m = ART 5+ s and 5+ other unbid
Together with UNT, this covers the 3 possible 2-suiters.

Advancer replies consistently e.g. after (1) 2 (P) ??
- 2/ = P/C
- 2/3/4 = PRE
- 2N = ASK
- 3 = ART 3+ s.

After the 2N asking bid i.e. 1() 2 (P) 2N (P) ??
- 3 = MIN (and ).
- 3 = MIN (and )
- 3 = MAX (and )
- 3 = MAX (and ) to right-side game.
1

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users