BBO Discussion Forums: Never double for penalty, Never double for penalty, Never double for penalty, - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Never double for penalty, Never double for penalty, Never double for penalty,

#1 User is offline   Tom E 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-October-06, 14:53

The BBO robot will invariably interpret the double as a takeout double and put you in a contract that scores -10 IMPs, when you would have had +10 IMPs if the robot had simply passed your double.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-06, 15:02

View PostTom E, on 2019-October-06, 14:53, said:

The BBO robot will invariably interpret the double as a takeout double and put you in a contract that scores -10 IMPs, when you would have had +10 IMPs if the robot had simply passed your double.

You can hover over it to see the meaning of double before you decide.

If opps in some convoluted auction bid some number of hearts (for example), dbl may turn out to mean
- "biddable hearts". In that case you can be pretty sure that it passes the double.
- "t/o" but no further explanation beyond what your previous bids showed. In that case it's a gamble. I have seen it passing a t/o double at the 4-level with a void in opps suit and 7 cards in one of my implied suits.
- "1+ hearts" or "2+ hearts". In that case it will very often pass, even if it needs you to have more than 2 hearts to justify a pass.
- "t/o" and promising length in unbid suits. In that case it will usually take it out. I have seen it introducing a 3-card suit at the 2-level instead of passing with 5 cards in opps' suit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Tom E 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-October-06, 15:06

View Posthelene_t, on 2019-October-06, 15:02, said:

You can hover over it to see the meaning of double before you decide.

If opps in some convoluted auction bid some number of hearts (for example), dbl may turn out to mean
- "biddable hearts". In that case you can be pretty sure that it passes the double.
- "t/o" but no further explanation beyond what your previous bids showed. In that case it's a gamble. I have seen it passing a t/o double at the 4-level with a void in opps suit and 7 cards in one of my implied suits.
- "1+ hearts" or "2+ hearts". In that case it will very often pass, even if it needs you to have more than 2 hearts to justify a pass.
- "t/o" and promising length in unbid suits. In that case it will usually take it out. I have seen it introducing a 3-card suit at the 2-level instead of passing with 5 cards in opps' suit.

Thank you helene_t! I wish I would have thought of that!

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-06, 17:38

View PostTom E, on 2019-October-06, 14:53, said:

Except when a GIB passes the double and the opponents have an easy make, sometimes with overtricks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users