BBO Discussion Forums: Play this slam - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play this slam

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,591
  • Joined: 2009-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent (Near London)

Posted 2019-October-08, 01:48



IMPs

How do you play this on the lead of the 4? (4th highest)

If you draw trumps ...

Spoiler


... which hand do you want to finish in? and how do you tackle diamonds?
0

#2 User is offline   sfi 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,551
  • Joined: 2009-May-18
  • Location:Oz

Posted 2019-October-08, 02:07

Can't I claim if I finish drawing trumps in dummy, pitch dummy's losing club and lead a diamond to the Jack?
1

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,591
  • Joined: 2009-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent (Near London)

Posted 2019-October-08, 08:17

View Postsfi, on 2019-October-08, 02:07, said:

Can't I claim if I finish drawing trumps in dummy, pitch dummy's losing club and lead a diamond to the Jack?


Presumably you mean "finish drawing trumps in hand" (West)?

Yes, I agree. I was dummy and that was my reaction.

But why would you finish drawing trumps in hand? Trumps might be splitting 4-1?
0

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,346
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-October-08, 08:54

View PostTramticket, on 2019-October-08, 08:17, said:

Presumably you mean "finish drawing trumps in hand" (West)?

Yes, I agree. I was dummy and that was my reaction.

But why would you finish drawing trumps in hand? Trumps might be splitting 4-1?


Because I can cash K and J and discover they're 3-2 before I decide which hand I'm finishing in
0

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,591
  • Joined: 2009-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kent (Near London)

Posted 2019-October-08, 12:15

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-October-08, 08:54, said:

Because I can cash K and J and discover they're 3-2 before I decide which hand I'm finishing in


Yes good point! So it should always make. Partner finished in dummy and led up to the ace.
0

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,346
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Location:England

Posted 2019-October-08, 13:02

View PostTramticket, on 2019-October-08, 12:15, said:

Yes good point! So it should always make. Partner finished in dummy and led up to the ace.


You should also make if they're 4-1, the hearts appear to be 4-4 or 5-3, and it's very unlikely that NS would keep quiet on a 4450/1408 or 1507/4351 so the spades and diamonds should be in opposite hands and you can play accordingly. If N has the spades, you run the J from hand. If S has them, you play small to the ace and then run the 8 if S shows out.
0

#7 User is offline   maartenxq 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 150
  • Joined: 2013-January-21

Posted 2019-October-09, 08:57

If trumps and are not worse than 4-1 this is non problem. I draw trumps, cash K A of , pitch and claim. As far as i can see with spades 5-0 diamonds have to be 3-2 and I can afford to loose the finesse. If trumps are 4 - 1 I finesse diamond Q over short trumps, playing A or King first depending on shortness.

Now North appears to have 3 spades I can concentrate on diamond 5-0. I end therefore in west and play small diamond to 10. If north revokes I play K, diamond back covering everything throw club and claim.

Maarten Baltussen
0

#8 User is offline   melodyn 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2019-October-09

Posted 2019-October-09, 17:28

View PostTramticket, on 2019-October-08, 01:48, said:



IMPs

How do you play this on the lead of the 4? (4th highest)

If you draw trumps ...

Spoiler


... which hand do you want to finish in? and how do you tackle diamonds?

Finish drawing trump in W hand, tossing C on the Ace of Hearts, play DA and then finesse to to JD. Run Diamonds and claim.
0

#9 User is online   smerriman 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,261
  • Joined: 2014-March-15
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2019-October-09, 18:09

View Postmelodyn, on 2019-October-09, 17:28, said:

Finish drawing trump in W hand, tossing C on the Ace of Hearts, play DA and then finesse to to JD. Run Diamonds and claim.

The key is to not play the DA (thus why you need to end in West). If North shows out on the ace, you're down - but by leading low the first time, if North shows out you can lead back to the 8, forcing another high card out of South.
Feel free to send me a friend challenge of any format as often as you like. I'll always accept :)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users