• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-26, 01:46

https://tinyurl.com/yxu2x5o8

Maybe
p-1
2-2
2-2*

shouldn't be forcing, but the explanation said that 2 and 2 were both forcing to 3. Nevertheless, GIB passed 2.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 02:22

I guess the "reason" for 2 being forcing to 3 is that it knows there's combined strength for that level. But having 2 as forcing makes no sense, so I guess it's just the description at fault.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 16:56

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-September-26, 02:22, said:

I guess the "reason" for 2 being forcing to 3 is that it knows there's combined strength for that level. But having 2 as forcing makes no sense, so I guess it's just the description at fault.

I sortof agree but it isn't logical - if 2 is forcing to 3 then it follows that every subsequent bid below 3 is forcing.

Maybe GIB really means that 2 is forcing on opener to 3, but responder can pass below 3? That would make sense. But I suspect it is just a bug.

A bit surprising, though. While it is very common that GIB passes bids which are unlimited and hence should be forcing, it is rare that GIB passes bids that are explicitly forcing.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 17:15

This is the kind of thing why BBO might want to think twice about answering complaints "GIB is completely horribly awfully bad" with "But GIB is doing well in robot tourneys". Any time an explanation is misleading, it's an advantage of GIB playing with GIB (who can rely on the internal presentation of the bidding logic, instead of the "less accurate", i.e. often completely wrong, explanations) over GIB playing with a human. I.e., to some extent its GIB who are horrible at being a partner with humans.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users