BBO Discussion Forums: Unusual distributions became the "norm" - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unusual distributions became the "norm" Cards distribution defies ALL statistics

#1 User is offline   00__0906 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-September-21, 21:24

Guys,

If you do have an RNG (which you must have) let the damn do its job and do not continuously and relentlessly and viciously distort the distributions.
It is getting old, pathetic and quite frustrating.

Obviously, who thinks this is funny is a millennium kiddo with no clue about this great game.

Simple question for the managers: Who wins if we, your customers, are frustrated? I doubt it is your business. We not will continue to be your customers if this persist.

Sincerely,
Mihai Buta

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-September-22, 00:21

View Post00__0906, on 2019-September-21, 21:24, said:

Guys,

If you do have an RNG (which you must have) let the damn do its job and do not continuously and relentlessly and viciously distort the distributions.

Obviously, who thinks this is funny is a millennium kiddo with no clue about this great game.

Simple question for the managers: Who wins if we, your customers, are frustrated? I doubt it is your business. We not will continue to be your customers if this persist.

Sincerely,
Mihai Buta

Hi Mihai

Can you please provide some examples why you believe that the the RNG is biasing the distributions? In particular, are you sure that you are properly differentiating between events like "Ghoulash" tournaments, "Best hand" tournaments, and bidding practice which deliberately bias the deals and other situations that are meant to have unbiased deals?

People have raised these issues a bunch of times in the past and there's never been any evidence that the PRNG / hand generator that BBO is using isn't performing as intended.

However, just in case you've found something new, I'd be interested in seeing

1. The corpus of hands that you claim demonstrates the hand generators as biased
2. The specific way in which you claim that the hand generators are biased
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-23, 15:26

View Post00__0906, on 2019-September-21, 21:24, said:

Guys,

Sincerely,
Mihai Buta

Show your work B-)

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-19, 20:39

Hi there

Just writing with some support for this thread and the other about apparent changes in deals over recent month or two (approx). I have been playing ACBL and BBO best hand for a year and a half. Recently there appears to have been a change in the nature of the hands to be somewhat articifical toy hands.

However, I appreciate this is highly complex and given the discussions I could be biased in noticing them.

But....at least I am not alone in observing an apparent change.

It is getting somewhat annoying to have paid for these tournaments

regards P

PS I'm sure they still are likely to pass the randomness tests - how can you prove they don't. However extremely contrived hands are no fun at all!

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-October-20, 09:03

View Postthepossum, on 2019-October-19, 20:39, said:

Just writing with some support for this thread and the other about apparent changes in deals over recent month or two (approx). I have been playing ACBL and BBO best hand for a year and a half. Recently there appears to have been a change in the nature of the hands to be somewhat articifical toy hands.

At the most basic level, you can inspect the source code and see whether there have been any significant changes in either

1. The PRNG
2. The seeding mechanism for the PRNG
3. The hand generation algorithm

If none of these have changed, then its pretty unlikely the end results of these system really has changed rather than people seizing on a coincidence.

I'm sure they still are likely to pass the randomness tests - how can you prove they don't.

You start with a real, testable hypothesis.

It's not enough to say that there are too many "artificial toy hands"
You need to be able to describe how the hands that you are looking at deviate from expectation.

If you can do this, it's pretty easy to turn this into a testable hypothesis AND to test this against a set of hands that are yet to ge generated.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-October-20, 12:48

We have not made any changes to the deailing code, I promise.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users