BBO Discussion Forums: Strong overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong overcall Advancer's cuebid meaning?

#1 User is offline   paulsim 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-September-24, 05:13

1 Double Pass 1
Pass ?

a.- KQJ6 AJT9 AK2 82
b.- K2 AKJ82 AK64 A2

Advancer's 1: Let's say it shows 0-8

With hand a) game is still possible. One possibility would be an invitation with 3
But advancer would pass with a not broken hand, i.e A987 872 Q72 654
So, overcaller could cuebid asking for further details: maximun - high - few - broken

1 Double Pass 1
pass 2? pass 2? or any other bid that says, not maximun and not broken
pass 4

With hand b), double and cuebid seems to be standard approach with strong hands, but then it would be a risk to "accept" because overcaller didnt show spade support.

May advancer answere with a new cuebid? What would be standard meaning for it, if any?
I will accept to play 4 based on spade invitation?

Could this be possible?

a.-
1 double pass 1
pass 2 pass 3 = I would play 4 if your cuebid shows invitational hand with spade support
pass 4

b.-
1 double pass 1
pass 2 pass 3, same.. I would jump to 4 spades....
pass 3 = strong hand, but without spade support

Then advancer could pass, bid 4 or even bid if it were a long suit....

Advancer's cuebid... What standard meanings could have, if any?

How would you handle strong hands without support to advancer's call vs strong invitational hands with support?

Thank very much
Kind Regards,
Paul_S

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-24, 09:54

With hand (a) I think most people just bid 3S inv. Otherwise what are you going to use 3S for, anyway? Denying 4 cd support hands also helps advancer judge to choose alternate contracts.
Cue bid by doubler is something like 18+ with 3 cd support or some huge hand. After cue bid by doubler, according to Lawrence:- 2M or lower by advancer is weak but NF- 2nt is not broke, but NFhigher is FG in principle (I suppose could stop in 4m if no stop, no M fit?)

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-24, 10:19

Not having the luxury of a partner prepared to go into such detail (and remember it) I too would just bid a 3 invite with hand (a).

Hand (b) is a rare beast, but if 1NT is 18+ balanced with no fit then 2NT must be something like this.

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-25, 04:38

The only time I would ever cue is with a huge hand with 4-card support that wants to make a slam try. Hands that want to invite game with 4-card support have to choose between 2, 3 and 4.

With the given hand, 3 seems just right - and partner would have an obvious 4 bid with your A987 872 Q72 654 example - he is near the top of his range, and partner made the strongest possible invite, what are you waiting for?

The prototypical cue bid is a strong hand with 3-card support. Your K2 AKJxx AKxx Ax would also qualify for 2 - it's just too strong for 2 in my view, and the heart suit isn't enough for 3
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-September-25, 09:51

Can't add anything useful to Arend's post. so won't B-)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users