• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

He who hesitates....

#21 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-15, 16:26

View Postpescetom, on 2019-September-15, 13:50, said:

I've never heard that phrase, is it American?

I think the Director has some fault if players don't understand that it is absolutely normal for him to be present at table whenever it is necessary to decide what to do.

Yes, it is American. It's in the Urban Dictionary. Used of a police officer it means "to commit police embarrassment, presumably for fun." By analogy, in bridge a director who rules against a player on his own motion is "pigging" that player, while another player who calls the director is "pigging" that player. Assuming the erroneous attitude that director calls/rulings are harassment.
The other meaning in the Urban Dictionary is completely different and not relevant to this situation.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-15, 22:28

View Postmikestar13, on 2019-September-15, 16:26, said:

Yes, it is American. It's in the Urban Dictionary. Used of a police officer it means "to commit police embarrassment, presumably for fun." By analogy, in bridge a director who rules against a player on his own motion is "pigging" that player, while another player who calls the director is "pigging" that player. Assuming the erroneous attitude that director calls/rulings are harassment.
The other meaning in the Urban Dictionary is completely different and not relevant to this situation.

72 years I've been an American, and throughout most of them I've lived here. First time I've heard of this term.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-15, 23:44

View PostVampyr, on 2019-September-15, 12:47, said:

A lot of bad feeling is created when people have this mindset of calling the director “on” someone. Similarly, as others have commented, “threatening” to call the director Is bullshit. The directors are not our mummy or our kindergarten teacher.

Using the phrase “pigging someone” should be an offence, as it helps create the attitude above.

IT was a joke strange you didn't get that I even put a smile emoticon in it.

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-September-16, 08:39

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-September-15, 22:28, said:

72 years I've been an American, and throughout most of them I've lived here. First time I've heard of this term.

Not quite 72, but I've also never heard it. But I've also never been part of a community where we calls cops "pigs".

Where was it used here, I don't see anything before Vampyr's response.

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-16, 16:41

View Postbarmar, on 2019-September-16, 08:39, said:

Not quite 72, but I've also never heard it. But I've also never been part of a community where we calls cops "pigs".

Where was it used here, I don't see anything before Vampyr's response.

I have actually heard the term only in the UK.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users