BBO Discussion Forums: Responds 2NT to re-opening double despite 5-card major - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responds 2NT to re-opening double despite 5-card major

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-14, 01:30

https://tinyurl.com/y59cqfmw
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-14, 03:57

Great bid by GIB :) Among other things, 2NT showed 2-5 hearts, 2-5 spades, 2-6 card diamond support, plus possible club stopper, and point count range. What an amazingly flexible and descriptive world class bid. Doubler just needs to bid a 3 card heart suit to get to an 8 card major suit fit. WTP?

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-14, 15:46

It surprises me a bit that it didn't run to 3 when I doubled.

Anyway, the problem presumably it that the hand is too strong to bid 2 yet too weak for 3, but it does have the requirements for a 2NT bid. I am not sure why it can't bid 3.

This is a general problem GIB has with tweener hands. I recall somebody posted a hand that was too strong to raise partner's 2NT to 5NT but too weak to bid 7NT so it passed. I believe that particular issue has been solved, but more generally, GIB will go out of its length to distort distribution in order to get the HCP count right to the fifth decimal.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-August-15, 17:44

View Posthelene_t, on 2019-August-14, 15:46, said:

It surprises me a bit that it didn't run to 3 when I doubled.

Anyway, the problem presumably it that the hand is too strong to bid 2 yet too weak for 3, but it does have the requirements for a 2NT bid. I am not sure why it can't bid 3.

This is a general problem GIB has with tweener hands. I recall somebody posted a hand that was too strong to raise partner's 2NT to 5NT but too weak to bid 7NT so it passed. I believe that particular issue has been solved, but more generally, GIB will go out of its length to distort distribution in order to get the HCP count right to the fifth decimal.

Yet another example of keeping us off balance. Expect the unexpected.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-11, 03:30

Another example on a weaker responder. So maybe it isn't a "tweener" problem but just totally out of order rules prioritizing 2nt.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users