Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Removing Alert Box During Play

#1 User is offline   n74tg 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-13, 15:35

Over RHO 1NT open I bid 2d (DONT) and alerted diamonds and higher suit. Everyone passes, I play 2 diamonds, but alert box stays visible on screen entire hand, blocking the right 5 cards in dummy from view.

I click on box, and it moves to left side of screen, now blocking left 5 cards in dummy.

At one point two boxes were visible, ie most of my dummy is blocked.

Sometimes the alert boxes go away as soon as opening lead is made, sometimes not, and today even worse with two boxes visible simultaneously.

How do I remove these boxes from view during play phase.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-14, 08:53

The alert box normally goes away when you click on it.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-14, 14:32

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-14, 08:53, said:

The alert box normally goes away when you click on it.

The one that puzzles me is when I have requested and received an explanation, I get a box with an intimidating "Explain" button.
All I would like to do is say thank you, instead it seems that now I owe an explanation B-)
What should I do here?
I once clicked on "Explain" and opponent complained in chat that she could now not see the hand, much like OP here.
Please could you explain the logic of this box and how to handle it?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-15, 18:52

You don't get that box when you request and receive an explanation.

An opponent must have mistakenly clicked on one of your bids, maybe they meant to click on their bid and misclicked.

If you know that your bid is obvious and doesn't require an explanation, just dismiss the box, they'll realize their mistake. Otherwise, enter something.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-15, 19:29

Op's post is correct. It is an annoying thing that sometimes happens during play when opps continually hit please explain during play. The same thing happens at the club when you are trying to think and opps continue to ask questions about your leads and bidding in order to make declarer play difficult.
Non legit hoc

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-April-16, 03:18

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-15, 18:52, said:

You don't get that box when you request and receive an explanation.

An opponent must have mistakenly clicked on one of your bids, maybe they meant to click on their bid and misclicked.

If you know that your bid is obvious and doesn't require an explanation, just dismiss the box, they'll realize their mistake. Otherwise, enter something.

What I was missing is how to dismiss the box, I expected an OK button or a click on the box or something.
I think and hope I found it yesterday - I clicked on the white upper border of an EXPLAIN box and it disappeared.

#7 User is offline   n74tg 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-16, 05:12

I started this thread

Thanks to all for replies

I will try clicking on white border in alert box to try to remove it

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-16, 05:35

View Postpescetom, on 2020-April-16, 03:18, said:

What I was missing is how to dismiss the box, I expected an OK button or a click on the box or something.
I think and hope I found it yesterday - I clicked on the white upper border of an EXPLAIN box and it disappeared.

You can actually click anywhere in the alert box except for the 'Explain' button to make it go away. 'Explain' asks the opponent for more details.

I believe you can also click on the bid itself in the bidding diagram to make the explanation appear and disappear, although I may be conflating interface versions for this functionality.

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-April-16, 14:04

View Postsfi, on 2020-April-16, 05:35, said:

You can actually click anywhere in the alert box except for the 'Explain' button to make it go away. 'Explain' asks the opponent for more details.

Thanks and I confirm, this worked to make the box go away after my own request for explanation.

However I (at least) am back at the starting blocks of this thread, as the same thing as OP happened to me today and I was unable to fix it :angry:

I alerted my 5 reply to 4NT as "2kc + Q", my partner bid 6 and all passed.
Then I could not see the lead due to a dark yellow window which did not go away when I clicked on it (if I remember it contained my explanation).
I asked opponents if they had any problem with my explanation, they said no.
I asked them to dismiss any Explain box by clicking on it, they said they saw no Explain box.
We both called the Director who was equally puzzled.
In the end I logged off and logged on, the yellow window was gone but so was my chance to play the slam rationally.

On other occasions players have complained about two or more windows blocking the screen, as in the OP.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-17, 08:46

There are occasional bugs where pop-ups get stuck on the screen -- I've seen this a couple of times with the mini history window, but never with the bid explanations, but I'm not surprised. Reloading the window is generally the only fix.

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-April-17, 09:10

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-17, 08:46, said:

There are occasional bugs where pop-ups get stuck on the screen -- I've seen this a couple of times with the mini history window, but never with the bid explanations, but I'm not surprised. Reloading the window is generally the only fix.

OK, I advised our players to logoff-login if it happens rather than chat to opponents or call director.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users