BBO Discussion Forums: super-accept? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

super-accept?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-31, 05:07

Playing 14-16 I open 1N with Axxxx AKx Qxx Qx

Partner transferred to spades (2H) and I bid only 2S. He felt I should super-accept with this hand because I held 5-card trump support to the ace. He asked what sort of hand I would need to have to super-accept if not this hand,

I ran the knr (Kaplan Rubens evaluator) and it evaluated the hand as 14.1 which is the low end of our range. I had told him a hand such as a 4252 would be a better super-accept but I would also accept other hands of non-minimum strength.

Should I have super-accepted?

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-31, 05:27

If you're not going to superaccept with Axxxx support, it's probably worth just taking them out of your system altogether.

It's really easy to construct poor 7 counts where game is a nice spot, so I would consider it an error to only bid 2S any time this hand is in your NT range.

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-31, 05:52

You just have to superaccept with Axxxx, even in a minimal 1NT opening.
If you dislike confusing such a hand with say a maximal 4252 then consider differentiating your superaccepts, using 3S to show this kind of preemptive raise and lower bids for stronger superaccept types.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-31, 05:54

My understanding of super-accepts after Stayman are that they are evaluated on The Law Of Total Tricks as well as High Point Counts. Here with an extra (fifth) trump to compensate for what you see as a poor 15 count, if you can't super-accept on this hand...

And as sfi said, partner could have a poor 7 count where game is always there. One other way of looking at this (as we play weak NT Acol) is that I would have opened 1 on this hand, and with a poor 7 count and 5s partner would have bid 4 as a straightforward responder's pre-emptive bid.

Actually there is a case for not just super-accepting on this hand, but super-super-accepting and bidding 4 now that you have found a 10 card trump fit. The opponents are unlikely to double, and obviously taking into consideration the vulnerability, even if partner turns up with nowt in his/her hand, the opponents probably have 110/130 their way.

#5 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-31, 06:02

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-August-31, 05:54, said:

Actually there is a case for not just super-accepting on this hand, but super-super-accepting and bidding 4 now that you have found a 10 card trump fit. The opponents are unlikely to double, and obviously taking into consideration the vulnerability, even if partner turns up with nowt in his/her hand, the opponents probably have 110/130 their way.

I follow your LoTT/vulnerability logic, but I can't see a case for jumping to game with spades here - opponents are more likely to double if anything, and you could always bid 4 over 4 anyway.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-August-31, 08:22

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-August-31, 05:54, said:

Actually there is a case for not just super-accepting on this hand, but super-super-accepting and bidding 4 now that you have found a 10 card trump fit.
Is a partnership game. Trust partner to bid 4 when right. Partner can have 0 pts.
The only time i have seen someone go 4 they had 18 and 5 and they are still wrong 1 pt isn't worth a whole extra lev4el. Responder, of course, had a bust.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-31, 10:25

The fifth spade is the equivalent of having the Q of trumps as well. Of course, if partner has that card, it is now a wasted asset.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-September-07, 19:34

Super accepting after opening 1 NT is more about showing the strength of the fit than any thing else. It's possible that the super accept might not turn out so well if responder has a terrible hand with 5 trump. However, those hands will be offset by the times when responder is on the cusp between playing 2 M/inviting and can make a move knowing a big fit exists.

#9 User is offline   jdulmage 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-11, 18:23

I'd say always super accept a transfer with those points and 5 trump. Those who open 1 spade will likely have a partner just bid 4 spades anyway.
Visit our website today at http://www.reginabridge.com for information on loads of conventions, our local club, and bridge hands.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users