BBO Discussion Forums: What's the Name of this Convention? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the Name of this Convention?

#21 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-April-28, 21:26

View Postjillybean, on 2023-April-28, 20:03, said:

Thanks. I am trying to imagine a hand which can only raise to 2S and now has a gf
Qxxx,AQx,AKxxx,x Holding this hand I am unable to bid 1NT after 1D 1S (playing 12-14NT) to show the strength, is 2S an underbid?

Your example is a 3 bid in my book. But whatever range 2 you play, if partner is inviting, you're going to game when you're on the upper end with 4 trumps - otherwise they would never have invited. So I would describe what you're imagining more as a "game accept" than a "GF" (though it's the same thing).

#22 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2023-April-29, 05:52

View Postprofhsg, on 2019-August-24, 10:11, said:

Playing 5 card majors and 2/1 GF you have the following auction:

Opener Responder

1 minor 1 major
2 of Responder's major 2NT

Responder's 2NT rebid asking the nature of opener's raise. Step responses, 3 3 card raise min. opening, 3 4 card raise sound opening, etc.

Around my club the 2NT rebid is given the name of a local player who uses it. A Google search revealed that the name used at our club doesn't extend much beyond the four walls of our club. Does anyone know what this convention is called?

I realize that given the global extent of this board's users I'm likely to get a variety of answers. That's perfectly OK with me.

Thanks in advance.

I've played this in one partnership. The name we (or my partner, who wrote the notes) used was 'Romex spørremeldinger' (lit. 'Romex asking bids').

#23 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-April-29, 18:10

View Postsmerriman, on 2023-April-28, 21:26, said:

Your example is a 3 bid in my book. But whatever range 2 you play, if partner is inviting, you're going to game when you're on the upper end with 4 trumps - otherwise they would never have invited. So I would describe what you're imagining more as a "game accept" than a "GF" (though it's the same thing).

Well it is more than an accept. 1D 1S 2S 2N* 4S accepts game
1D 1S 2S 2N 4C/4H must show a hand with mild slam interest?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#24 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-April-29, 18:40

View Postjillybean, on 2023-April-29, 18:10, said:

Well it is more than an accept. 1D 1S 2S 2N* 4S accepts game
1D 1S 2S 2N 4C/4H must show a hand with mild slam interest?

Not really - the hand is limited by the 2S bid and can't make their own slam try. It's a descriptive bid just in case partner might be interested in slam opposite what you show.

Something like:

Qxxx
Axx
AJTxx
x

Most of the time responder will just bid game. But if you hit partner with the hand below they can start thinking about slam, while there's no way to do so if opener just bids 4S.

AKxx
Kxx
Kx
xxxx

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users