• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Continuations after our Redouble

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-19, 01:21

IMPs

(1) Do you agree with the initial Redouble?

(2) What do you expect partner to hold for this jump to 4?

We have agreed that 2 from partner would have been non-forcing showing a minimum opening. But have had no discussions about other bids. What should be the meaning of:

(3) 3? (is it forcing?)

(4) Passing initially then bidding 4?

(5) 2?

(6) 3?

(7) No trump bids?

[Sorry - intended to post this in I/A forum]

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 04:20

What would have been the meaning of 1NT or 2NT instead of XX ?

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-19, 05:45

Agree totally with initial redouble: 10+ HCPs with no interest in partner's suit, looking to penalise opponents. As for variations of partner rebidding s or passing and rebidding s other than at the 2 level, then even I am clueless as I haven't encountered this situation - to my knowledge - ever at the bridge table in over 40 years of playing.

Here, I'm passing 4 as partner knows what you have, and you haven't got any extras to tell him/her about.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 08:27

View Postpescetom, on 2019-August-19, 04:20, said:

What would have been the meaning of 1NT or 2NT instead of XX ?

1NT is natural 8-10, balanced. 2NT is undiscussed - which means natural in the absence of any other agreement.

#5 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 08:57

Most people use 2n here as Jordan, which is a limit raise+ in partner's suit. I completely agree with the XX, especially since they are about to compete at the 2 level in a vulnerable auction. I can envision at least +500 wherever they go and I'm hopeful for more. The only hand that makes sense for partner, is a hand they messed up with the first bid. They should have opened 2s or 3s and got too excited with it.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-August-19, 09:53

View PostHardVector, on 2019-August-19, 08:57, said:

Most people use 2n here as Jordan, which is a limit raise+ in partner's suit. I completely agree with the XX, especially since they are about to compete at the 2 level in a vulnerable auction.

I play 2NT that way too, but suspected that it might be natural here. If so, and that also implies some kind of hearts stop, then I wouldn't discard it automatically. More than anything I wondered if partner would infer anything from the non-use of a natural 2NT, but it sounds like he would not if the bid is undiscussed.

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 10:03

It is (almost) the textbook hand for XX.

Partner’s bids should show weakness (while pass and rebid are at least an average + opening hand). To answer your questions:

- I guess partner has a 7 or 8-cd suit that hesitated between opening at the 1 or 4 level, probably light in HCP (SAK or AKQ plus a side goodie), and the XX convinced him that 4S would be making so wanted to bid them ASAP; I now pass, lacking aces to be looking for 6

- 3S bid undiscussed, there could be merit for having it forcing, close to a 2C opening (strong two with 8 tricks), setting trumps and so on, but it is happening often given a X and XX?

- pass then 4S is stronger than the direct 4S I think, give him a goodie more than the direct 4S, or a goodie less than the strong Acol?

- direct 2C/3C are for weak 2-suiters, at the 2-level 55, and freakier at the 3 level?

- NT bids: should be avoided

All this is of course only valid for opening in 1st/2nd.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 12:29

Most people use 2n here as Jordan, which is a limit raise+ in partner's suit.

I would assume this even if undiscussed.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-August-19, 13:29

View PostVampyr, on 2019-August-19, 12:29, said:

I would assume this even if undiscussed.

Even with someone from Kent?
Would you also assume that 1 (p) 2NT undiscussed was a limit raise?

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2019-August-19, 13:50

View Postpescetom, on 2019-August-19, 13:29, said:

Yes.

No, this is not universal like the above.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 14:25

View Postpescetom, on 2019-August-19, 13:29, said:

No. That looks like Jacoby 2n, GF with spade support. Of course, if I just sat down and started playing with someone without coming up with some basic idea of their bidding structure, I would assume vanilla Goren. That would make 2n natural, balanced, GF.

#12 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-19, 16:58

Most people use 2n here as Jordan, which is a limit raise+ in partner's suit.

Yes, missed the obvious answer (though I've never heard it called Jordan).

#13 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-20, 00:07

Opener is not forced to bid, so 4S has to be weak with long spades.
Any other hand should pass first, except when minimum and unbalanced.
At least this would be consistent with the "mixed" purpose of the XX and would force opponents to show a suit.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-August-20, 01:24

Sir,Personally I can not visualise a hand holding which the opener bids FOUR spade in this situation.I think that there is a grave misunderstanding about the RD,Althogh I consider the RD as an acceptable bid but the defensive value of the hand is not all that good if RHO bids 2C (if it goes RD-P-P-2C).Before making xx I feel one should consider how one is going to describe this holding to partner.I,personally ,feel that if one is playing negative doubles and mandatory reopening (in the absence of a negative double). then why not PASS and take the decision on the next round ?

#15 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-20, 04:09

1 Absolutely textbook xx

2 4 is a hand with 7+ suit that was too good to preempt as opener. Partner knows the scoring and thinks that 620 is a better score than what can be achieved doubling opps at the 2 level.
eg AKQJxxx xx xx Kx
If 4 fails he should apologise to partner and move on.

3-6 I expect partner to pass with any other hand. The redouble is designed to put opps on the ropes, bidding lets them off

If East bids a red suit I will double. If East bids 2, I pass in the hope that partner can double

Dealer's second pass is telling. He cannot pick a suit so he has 4-5 and no other 4 card suit

#16 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-August-20, 13:47

View Postnekthen, on 2019-August-20, 04:09, said:

1 Absolutely textbook xx

2 4 is a hand with 7+ suit that was too good to preempt as opener. Partner knows the scoring and thinks that 620 is a better score than what can be achieved doubling opps at the 2 level.
eg AKQJxxx xx xx Kx
If 4 fails he should apologise to partner and move on.

3-6 I expect partner to pass with any other hand. The redouble is designed to put opps on the ropes, bidding lets them off

If East bids a red suit I will double. If East bids 2, I pass in the hope that partner can double

Dealer's second pass is telling. He cannot pick a suit so he has 4-5 and no other 4 card suit

SIR,he just can't have SJ as then we shall have to ask for a new pack.AND personally I feel such a hand shall be opened 4S .Pray what shall partner do on KQxxx-xxx-AKx-xx after you pass 2C and it goes-PASS-? Should he tamely PASS or double?.or PERHAPS you suggest bid 2D.(2) IF over the Redbl LHO bids 2C and it goes P-P-?

#17 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-20, 14:40

The full deal and auction:

Partner made 12 tricks, but the cards were lying kindly. North/South might scramble five or six tricks in a diamond contract.

I never seriously considered any bid but pass. But I did wonder how much extra I would need to explore a slam.

It didn't matter when we came to score up - our result was never going to have much influence on the result. How to you compete with a score of 2,720 (1 Redoubled making 12 tricks)!!! I will keep the names of our teammates secret to protect the guilty!

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2019-August-20, 16:32

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-August-20, 01:24, said:

I,personally ,feel that if one is playing negative doubles and mandatory reopening (in the absence of a negative double). then why not PASS and take the decision on the next round ?

Mandatory? This is called balancing them into game... but anyway there has not been and cannot be a negative double in this auction.

#19 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-20, 17:23

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-August-20, 13:47, said:

SIR,he just can't have SJ as then we shall have to ask for a new pack.AND personally I feel such a hand shall be opened 4S .Pray what shall partner do on KQxxx-xxx-AKx-xx after you pass 2C and it goes-PASS-? Should he tamely PASS or double?.or PERHAPS you suggest bid 2D.(2) IF over the Redbl LHO bids 2C and it goes P-P-?

My partner will open 1N, but lets assume we play strong NT. they have found an 8 card fit presumably South has x xxxx xxx xxxxx
and North xxxx xxx xxx xxx There are not enough Spades! Someone is lying, so actually partner cannot have this "worst case scenario" hand

The actual hand shown now represents appalling bidding by NS! A double with 13 hcp and a 3442 shape is just wrong and passing the xx with two 4 card suits is equally bad. Neither would be my partner for long.

#20 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-20, 19:18

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-August-20, 13:47, said:

Pray what shall partner do on KQxxx-xxx-AKx-xx after you pass 2C and it goes-PASS-? Should he tamely PASS or double?.or PERHAPS you suggest bid 2D.(2) IF over the Redbl LHO bids 2C and it goes P-P-?

A pass of 2 is 100% forcing, so partner can't pass. Your example isn't possible as mentioned above, but if neither player is capable of doubling 2, then you must surely have a fit elsewhere so there's no risk in bidding even a 3 card suit if you have to.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users