Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Very cumbersome new BBO

#1 User is offline   ccobban 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-August-02, 05:08

I find the new BBO version very cumbersome. I realize that it will take getting used to, but it does need a lot of improvement. Visually, it reminds me of playing on my tablet, which I have done only a few times, since I find it very frustrating and old-fashioned looking. Also, the sound is not co-ordinated with the playing of the cards. It is out of sync. For this reason, I usually turn off the sound. I have read all the other blogs and agree with the complaints, so no use to mention them here.

The one good thing about the new version, however, is the position of the bidding box. Other than that, I beg you to make some improvements. My bridge sessions are not as long as they used to be, since I am not enjoying BBO now.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-August-02, 08:31

View Postccobban, on 2019-August-02, 05:08, said:

Visually, it reminds me of playing on my tablet

There's a good reason for that -- it's essentially the same program.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-02, 09:56

The one good thing about the new version, however, is the position of the bidding box.

But the bidding box is not a bidding box, unless I am missing something - I just get a choice of level then suit.
There would be room for a real bidding box when using Hand Diagram.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-August-03, 20:34

View Postpescetom, on 2019-August-02, 09:56, said:

But the bidding box is not a bidding box, unless I am missing something - I just get a choice of level then suit.
There would be room for a real bidding box when using Hand Diagram.

What's missing from the bidding box? Or are you saying that it should list all the bids, like a physical bidding box, rather than making you do it in 2 steps? This is how we've been doing it in the Flash version, with few complaints. I don't remember how the Windows client's bidding box looked.

It's also less error-prone: the level and suit can be bigger buttons so it's harder to misclick, and if you misclick the level you can easily fix it before clicking on the suit.

Other suggestions have been to more more things out of the hamburger menu into buttons. If we do this, it will most likely eat up the room that might be used for a full bidding box.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-August-04, 10:05

View Postbarmar, on 2019-August-03, 20:34, said:

What's missing from the bidding box? Or are you saying that it should list all the bids, like a physical bidding box, rather than making you do it in 2 steps? This is how we've been doing it in the Flash version, with few complaints. I don't remember how the Windows client's bidding box looked.

It's also less error-prone: the level and suit can be bigger buttons so it's harder to misclick, and if you misclick the level you can easily fix it before clicking on the suit.

Yes I would prefer the image of a traditional full bidding box ( obviously without impossible calls or insufficient bids).
I think a single choice is less error prone, because less stressful to make in a hurry.
It would also be a more pleasant and bridge like experience.

There are many things I strongly dislike about the older clients, as I think you will have realized by now ;)

#6 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-August-04, 16:09

View Postbarmar, on 2019-August-03, 20:34, said:

Other suggestions have been to more more things out of the hamburger menu into buttons. If we do this, it will most likely eat up the room that might be used for a full bidding box.

The Windows version used the same 2 steps arrangement.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-August-05, 07:38

View PostGerardo, on 2019-August-04, 16:09, said:

The Windows version used the same 2 steps arrangement.

Sure. It also had the same confusing display when you are declarer, failed to give decent warning when it is your turn to play or when your time is running out in an automated tournament, left things in the same mess when a claim has been accepted, u.s.w.
That doesn't mean these things shouldn't be improved.

#8 User is offline   Georooney 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-August-14, 00:41

I find the new BBO version very cumbersome. I realize that it will take getting used to, but it does need a lot of improvement. Visually, it reminds me of playing on my tablet, which I have done only a few times, since I find it very frustrating and old-fashioned looking. Also, the sound is not co-ordinated with the playing of the cards. It is out of sync. For this reason, I usually turn off the sound. I have read all the other blogs and agree with the complaints, so no use to mention them here.

The one good thing about the new version, however, is the position of the bidding box. Other than that, I beg you to make some improvements. My bridge sessions are not as long as they used to be, since I am not enjoying BBO now.

I agree entirely. The new version is very frustrating, and I sense it goes beyond just being a learning curve.

#9 User is offline   Georooney 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-August-14, 00:47

View Postbarmar, on 2019-August-02, 08:31, said:

There's a good reason for that -- it's essentially the same program.

But that's the thing, isn't it? Running an app designed for a tablet on a full-size Mac or PC? When it comes to programs, one size does not fit all.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-August-14, 08:05

View PostGeorooney, on 2019-August-14, 00:47, said:

But that's the thing, isn't it? Running an app designed for a tablet on a full-size Mac or PC? When it comes to programs, one size does not fit all.

Unfortunately, we're a small group and don't have the resources to maintain two completely different clients.

The code does have the ability to show differently depending on the environment, that's how we can show the sidebar on the desktop. And in time, once we get all features working, we can add more style differences. But features take priority over style.

#11 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-20, 10:17

Is it only me? If I set to see hand diagram rather than displaying picture of cards, bidding box completely covers one of NS players. That can be a big problem for teaching tables. Also, when using hand diagram, Double Dummy in history is impossible to read. And if friend happens to log at same time, gets very frustrating to say at least.
Another huge problem for teaching tables is that host, ie teacher, has no access to UNDO.

We have tested in IAC new voice feature on teaching tables, and some members can hear ONLY if they are added as speakers too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users