BBO Discussion Forums: BBO v. 5.1.6 improvement suggestions - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO v. 5.1.6 improvement suggestions new software improvement ideas

#1 User is offline   antepa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-August-09, 12:04

As a player and TD, I have played and directed tournaments using the new software and enjoyed some of its new features. However, I feel that there's enough room for improvement. Here are a couple of issues that I believe affect the whole bridge playing experience and therefore thre's room for improvement.

1. As a TD, it is far more complicated and less handy to adjust scores at tables. With the new software, a TD has to locate the contract, the declarer and figure out mostly everything, as the new software doesn't compute (at least) the declarer and the original contract. Quite bad.

2. With the new software, it is not very handy and easy to use the chat manager, as it was in the Flash version.

3. Would it be possible to get to choose the color palette of the BBO ?

4. Would it be possible to improve the hand editor experience (like picking more than 1 cards etc.) ?

Please feel free to leave any comment and expand this, if needed.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   super69 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-August-10, 08:22

When playing in the "Just Declare" tournaments, you can't see the full auction if there are more than a few rounds when it appears on the screen. Now, once this disappears, you can click on the contract and the bidding comes up, but you have to scroll to see all of it. It would be nice if you could see the full auction in the box.

#3 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-August-10, 17:09

View Postsuper69, on 2019-August-10, 08:22, said:

When playing in the "Just Declare" tournaments, you can't see the full auction if there are more than a few rounds when it appears on the screen. Now, once this disappears, you can click on the contract and the bidding comes up, but you have to scroll to see all of it. It would be nice if you could see the full auction in the box.

I have a massive screen, yet somehow it lacks the space to display both the play of the hand and the auction at the same time. I feel stuck choosing the Flash version until that is resolved.

#4 User is offline   Mary_hawk 

• Pip

Posted 2019-August-10, 20:55

View Postantepa, on 2019-August-09, 12:04, said:

As a player and TD, I have played and directed tournaments using the new software and enjoyed some of its new features. However, I feel that there's enough room for improvement. Here are a couple of issues that I believe affect the whole bridge playing experience and therefore thre's room for improvement.

1. As a TD, it is far more complicated and less handy to adjust scores at tables. With the new software, a TD has to locate the contract, the declarer and figure out mostly everything, as the new software doesn't compute (at least) the declarer and the original contract. Quite bad.

2. With the new software, it is not very handy and easy to use the chat manager, as it was in the Flash version.

3. Would it be possible to get to choose the color palette of the BBO ?

4. Would it be possible to improve the hand editor experience (like picking more than 1 cards etc.) ?

Please feel free to leave any comment and expand this, if needed.

Thanks.

#5 User is offline   Garyofpgh 

• Pip

Posted 2019-August-10, 20:59

I am surprised that sometimes the bots choose a different opening lead against me than they do at other tables (resulting in a different result) even when the bidding is identical. This seems to interject an unnecessary element of chance in the result. Can that be eliminated? Or would that perhaps make the defense too easily analyzed?

#6 User is offline   Mary_hawk 

• Pip

Posted 2019-August-10, 21:31

As a player/director I find the playing is good but the directing is very difficult. As Antepa stated, the adjustments are very difficult and the chat manager, oh my!!

Also I miss the color coded category for players. The color codes help me find our regular players in the sub list.

The format for creating a tourney does not allow as much information to be posted on the tourney listing or in the greeting at the start of a tourney.

I help direct goulash tourneys and we use the "saved deal" option. The "folder" section where I store my tourneys is about half of the size of V2. I will lose about 100 tourneys I have put together.

I know that V3 is a work in progress and there have been many great improvements on the playing side. Now hopefully the director side will get a little help to make it more user friendly.

Thanks

#7 User is offline   2200 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-August-10, 22:45

My apology if it has been asked before.
Is it possible to add "instant replay” in the robot match?Whether it's personal challenge against robots, or, in the robot tourney(the replay result certainly doesn't count, but just to give you a chance to see how things would go differently)?

#8 User is offline   stacyv 

• Pip

Posted 2019-August-11, 12:11

View PostGaryofpgh, on 2019-August-10, 20:59, said:

I am surprised that sometimes the bots choose a different opening lead against me than they do at other tables (resulting in a different result) even when the bidding is identical. This seems to interject an unnecessary element of chance in the result. Can that be eliminated? Or would that perhaps make the defense too easily analyzed?

I agree...and not inconsistent on opening leads only! I’ve had a bot force me to a ridiculous slam by bidding a 5card suit repeatedly until my options are 7NT or pass. Almost seems like an angry partner with revenge on his mind!?! Other players manage to find a reasonable contract. What’s going on?

#9 User is offline   daniel sav 

• Pip

Posted 2019-August-11, 14:22

When you organize a team match and for different reasons the match is not completed ( one player doesn't agree with the invitation or doesn't answer the invitation in due time) the match is canceled , and the memory is cleared. In order to restart the invitations you have to rewrite all the details of the match. In the old version the initial layout of the match is memorised and in case the macth is not starting, you can resend the invitation with the same players or make any adjustemnt you want, over the initial layout.This feature makes the new version very unfriendly in order to organize a team match.

#10 User is offline   JJE 0 

• Pip

Posted 2019-August-11, 16:56

I've noticed (compared to the flash version) I don't get an audible "dink-dunk" notification when I am asked to substitute in a for a tournament. So if I'm in a different window, or a couple metres away from the keyboard, I'll completely miss the invitation.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-August-11, 23:08

View PostGaryofpgh, on 2019-August-10, 20:59, said:

Bot play is not dependent on which client version you're using (except for using bots in the main bridge club with the old Windows download client -- they run GIB on your PC and it depends on your PC speed).

The above shouldn't happen in a tournament, everyone is using the same bots and they use the same random seed. It can happen if you play with bots at a regular table, since some people use basic bots and others use advanced bots, and we also don't force them to use the same random seed.

Can you provide a link to a hand record where this happened?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users