• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A lot of UI

#21 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-05, 16:41

View PostVampyr, on 2019-August-05, 14:57, said:

No, normally with a stopper you would bid NT to protect the stopper.

3 would normally say that you don't have diamonds stopped as you have shown a heart stop with 1NT, and the concept of protecting the stopper is ridiculous when you have already bid 1NT yourself. However it does not matter what it says; for you to disallow it you would have to say that it is demonstrably suggested over other calls by the UI. I think that bidding on IS suggested over Pass which is an LA, and that is why I would disallow 3, and that is because a slow 2 normally suggests that you would not mind hearing from partner again. I think if you poll Easts with the methods that you have no CC, and think that 1S denies spades, then many Easts would now pass an in-tempo 2.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-August-05, 18:29

View Postlamford, on 2019-August-05, 16:41, said:

3 would normally say that you don't have diamonds stopped as you have shown a heart stop with 1NT, and the concept of protecting the stopper is ridiculous when you have already bid 1NT yourself. However it does not matter what it says; for you to disallow it you would have to say that it is demonstrably suggested over other calls by the UI. I think that bidding on IS suggested over Pass which is an LA, and that is why I would disallow 3, and that is because a slow 2 normally suggests that you would not mind hearing from partner again. I think if you poll Easts with the methods that you have no CC, and think that 1S denies spades, then many Easts would now pass an in-tempo 2.

LOL, yes, he had bid 1NT. Your interpretation is very sensible.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users