Thanks for help me.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-31, 02:03

deep, on 2019-July-31, 00:48, said:

what bid now south?
Thanks for help me.

If you mean what does North bid now, I suggest Pass.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-July-31, 05:55

deep asks 'what bid now south?'
+++++++++++++++++++++++

The normal message of 5 is good plain-suit controls but worry about trump () quality e.g.
A x x A x A K Q x x x
so PesceTom's recommendation of Pass seems good advice.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-July-31, 10:57

As Nige1 and pescetom suggest: pass

Now, this is an unusual situation (of course all 1S 4H sequences are rare) in that presumably South could have bid 4N as keycard, assuming keycard is in use. I am in fact struggling to construct a hand where 4N makes no sense and 5H does.

If one is using ordinary blackwood, then the issue disappears, since ordinary blackwood doesn't help (at least immediately) with the heart King and not at all with the heart Q. Now 5H is the only reasonable action for a south with a good hand, and side Aces, and poor trump: how good are your hearts, partner?

In any event, 5H is not forcing, simply on general principles, and this hand is clearly not a 'good' 4H bid. I am not criticizing the call: I am merely pointing out that North will often/usually hold a better suit for the action: KQJ10xxxx being a reasonable example.

If South had keycard available, then the 5H is odd unless he was unsure that you'd understand that 4N as keycard. With an expert partner, I'd infer a void (presumably in diamonds) such that the keycard response of, say, 2 keycards would leave him guessing. Say AKQxxx xx void AKxxx.

In any event, no matter what partner thinks he is asking, I don't have it. So pass
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 11:10

mikeh, on 2019-July-31, 10:57, said:

As Nige1 and pescetom suggest: pass

Now, this is an unusual situation (of course all 1S 4H sequences are rare) in that presumably South could have bid 4N as keycard, assuming keycard is in use. I am in fact struggling to construct a hand where 4N makes no sense and 5H does.

If one is using ordinary blackwood, then the issue disappears, since ordinary blackwood doesn't help (at least immediately) with the heart King and not at all with the heart Q. Now 5H is the only reasonable action for a south with a good hand, and side Aces, and poor trump: how good are your hearts, partner?

In any event, 5H is not forcing, simply on general principles, and this hand is clearly not a 'good' 4H bid. I am not criticizing the call: I am merely pointing out that North will often/usually hold a better suit for the action: KQJ10xxxx being a reasonable example.

If South had keycard available, then the 5H is odd unless he was unsure that you'd understand that 4N as keycard. With an expert partner, I'd infer a void (presumably in diamonds) such that the keycard response of, say, 2 keycards would leave him guessing. Say AKQxxx xx void AKxxx.

In any event, no matter what partner thinks he is asking, I don't have it. So pass

5 suggests that the question is not answerable by blackwood, which strongly suggests a small singleton heart or just possibly a void. KQ empty to 8 is not really enough, the key card is the J. KQ10/KQ109 8th is probably about the border here. And yes, easy pass and because it's in a thread here, partner will have a small singleton and RHO will have AQ so you can't go wrong.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-31, 13:03

Cyberyeti, on 2019-July-31, 11:10, said:

5 suggests that the question is not answerable by blackwood, which strongly suggests a small singleton heart or just possibly a void. KQ empty to 8 is not really enough, the key card is the J. KQ10/KQ109 8th is probably about the border here. And yes, easy pass and because it's in a thread here, partner will have a small singleton and RHO will have AQ so you can't go wrong.

and here I was thinking my partners all grumbling about my pessimism when I passed and of course the AQ was onside doubleton sigh

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users