BBO Discussion Forums: Why in the world does the robot always jump to a 4 bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why in the world does the robot always jump to a 4 bid? 4 bid in most cases is not required?

#1 User is offline   Thorn610 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-06, 10:36

When I open with a major, if Robot has a fit, he jumps to a 4 bid?

In most cases, Robot has no other support and the contract is not made?

Am I missing something or is just the way the 2/1 system is employed?

Thanks
John

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-06, 10:51

You might want to post the actual deal(s) in which you think the 4 bid was not warranted, in the GIB robot discussion forum.
The robot should only be bidding 1H-4H or 1S-4S with typically 5+ cd support and a singleton or void outside, and a hand weakish in high cards. This is standard strategy. The idea is with a massive fit, often game can be made on much fewer than the normal HCP requirement because of cross-ruffing potential. And if not, usually you will find that the contract was a good sacrifice against the opponent's contract (they can make a contract above 3 of your major); the bid is also trying to obstruct the opps from reaching their optimal contract.

If you feel the bid is wrong (maybe it jumped to 4 on a 5332 or 5422 it arguably shouldn't have), post the actual deal.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-July-06, 19:02

Please use GIB Robot Forum for discussion of robot bidding and play. I've moved this thread.

#4 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-07, 04:28

making the contract isn't always the best score.

#5 User is offline   Thorn610 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-08, 08:55

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-July-06, 10:51, said:

You might want to post the actual deal(s) in which you think the 4 bid was not warranted, in the GIB robot discussion forum.
The robot should only be bidding 1H-4H or 1S-4S with typically 5+ cd support and a singleton or void outside, and a hand weakish in high cards. This is standard strategy. The idea is with a massive fit, often game can be made on much fewer than the normal HCP requirement because of cross-ruffing potential. And if not, usually you will find that the contract was a good sacrifice against the opponent's contract (they can make a contract above 3 of your major); the bid is also trying to obstruct the opps from reaching their optimal contract.

If you feel the bid is wrong (maybe it jumped to 4 on a 5332 or 5422 it arguably shouldn't have), post the actual deal.

That is good advice but I am not sure how to post the deals? I know the Robot is wrong, especially after you post the criteria required for a 4 bid!

Thanks
John

#6 User is offline   Thorn610 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-08, 08:58

View Postetha, on 2019-July-07, 04:28, said:

making the contract isn't always the best score.

As a beginner, I am not sure what you mean by that? I know you get more points for NT, but that is not always the case for these unnecessary 4 bids!

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-08, 09:25

View PostThorn610, on 2019-July-08, 08:55, said:

That is good advice but I am not sure how to post the deals? I know the Robot is wrong, especially after you post the criteria required for a 4 bid!

Use the forum code:
[hv=(paste full url here)]400|300[/hv]

Get the URL from www.bridgebase.com/myhands ("movie" link) or the BBO client (find hand in hand history, find menu command export hand to handviewer link), click the movie URL to show the full expanded URL with all the .lin code, then put into the forum using the above syntax putting the url in place of the part enclosed in parentheses, deleting the parentheses.

#8 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-July-08, 14:23

View PostThorn610, on 2019-July-08, 08:58, said:

As a beginner, I am not sure what you mean by that? I know you get more points for NT, but that is not always the case for these unnecessary 4 bids!

As Stephen mentioned, after the auction 1 - 4, you will often get a good score going down, because if you hadn't bid 4, the opponents would have bid and made a higher scoring contract of their own (since 4 is weak, the opponents are often quite strong).

#9 User is offline   Thorn610 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-10, 09:28

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-July-08, 14:23, said:

As Stephen mentioned, after the auction 1 - 4, you will often get a good score going down, because if you hadn't bid 4, the opponents would have bid and made a higher scoring contract of their own (since 4 is weak, the opponents are often quite strong).

I must confess that it appears the Robot is for the most part correct the way he jumps to a 4 bid?

I played a couple of hands on Fun Bridge where they critique your play on the hands and contract that was played?

It appears I have a lot to learn on how to play a hand to get the most books? The Robot seems to glean points that
I just didn't see or figure out how to exploit my cards? The Robot seems to make a 4 bid whether suited or in NT that
I didn't think were possible?

There is an art to play and why you play a card in order to get the best results! I need to learn more on how to do that!

Thanks for the input into my question?

Thorn (AKA John )

#10 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-July-10, 11:07

bbo has its own tool to help declarer play called bridge master from the opening screen.

#11 User is offline   Thorn610 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-11, 08:14

View Postetha, on 2019-July-10, 11:07, said:

bbo has its own tool to help declarer play called bridge master from the opening screen.

Thanks, I will check it out?

John

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users