BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding table - constraints on both hands - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding table - constraints on both hands Is it possible?

#1 User is offline   sw1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-25, 19:32

A couple of years ago, I thought I knew how to set up constraints on both the North hand and South hand. For example, I might want to have North have a Precision club opener and South have a 1 diamond response. (For simplicity, let's just treat that as North having at least 16 HCP and South having at most 7). I have no trouble setting up North to have at least 16 HCP (and understand how to use multiple constraint sets so that for example I could require North to have a singleton as well). But If I set up constraints on the North hand, I cannot find a way to separately set up constraints on South. If I have North's constraints set up, then change the menu to South, South now has all those constraints and North is reset to no constraints.

What do I need to do differently? I wrote to support@bridgebase.com, and got a response that didn't seem to work for me. I wrote back again, and haven't heard anything more.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-June-26, 03:48

If you create a bidding table, there is an advanced option that allows you to use Dealer scripts rather than the graphical user interface to control the hand generators. You can use this to do pretty much anything you can dream up...
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-June-26, 11:59

And if you need help writing the dealer script, post in the Full Disclosure and Dealer forum.

#4 User is offline   sw1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-July-01, 19:14

Thanks for the responses. I've gotten better at creating the constraints. Now for a different problem: is there any way to have "opponents" bidding?

All I see as options for opponents bidding are Pass Throughout and controlled by host. Does that mean that if I want A and B to be bidding the North-South cards against some opposition bidding, then either I need A or B to be the host (in which case he can see all the hands) or I need another player C to be the host?

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-July-02, 01:11

Although the Advanced options are very powerful, it should be easy to put simple constraints on each direction.

Go to the 'Deal Source' item on the table menu and click on the '+' sign to add a Constraint Set. At the bottom of the screen you will see a single constraint, but it is better to click on the Constraints button and add multiple simple constraints (clicking on the '+' sign to add extra ones) for different directions.

The best way to get the opponents bidding is to add Robots to the East and West seats. When at the table, just click on the East and West seats and select 'Robot'. They are free to use at a bidding table.

The Robots will play their own 2/1 system and assume you are playing 2/1 too, but they are well suited to a bidding table for providing quiet opponents who don't mind if you take your time.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users