BBO Discussion Forums: Interfering after opponents' 2/1 bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interfering after opponents' 2/1 bid

#1 User is offline   thad3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-June-09, 16:27

The opponents are playing 2/1 GF. Let's say the bidding was 1h-p-2c-?. What calls might you make in 4th seat? Why?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-June-09, 17:21

I think I understand what thad3 implies and, if so, I agree:
If opponents start the 2/1 auction on the left, then
-- you are in a bidding sandwich, so competition risks a large penalty.
-- revealing competition can help opponents make their game.
Hence your objective shouldn't be just to consume their bidding space
-- In addition, you should suggest a profitable sacrifice or direct a good lead.
-- In particular, if you make a 2-suited call (Double, UNT, Cue-bid) then, at the prevailing vulnerablity, you should have reasonable prospects of winning a high-level auction, when partner has any kind of fit

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-09, 19:44

View Postthad3, on 2019-June-09, 16:27, said:

The opponents are playing 2/1 GF. Let's say the bidding was 1h-p-2c-?. What calls might you make in 4th seat? Why?

I don’t get it. What is your hand?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   thad3 

• Pip

Posted 2019-June-09, 20:17

View Postnige1, on 2019-June-09, 17:21, said:

I think I understand what thad3 implies and, if so, I agree:
If opponents start the 2/1 auction on the left, then
-- you are in a bidding sandwich, so competition risks a large penalty.
-- revealing competition can help opponents make their game.
Hence your objective shouldn't be just to consume their bidding space
-- In addition, you should suggest a profitable sacrifice or direct a good lead.
-- In particular, if you make a 2-suited call (Double, UNT, Cue-bid) then, at the prevailing vulnerablity, you should have reasonable prospects of winning a high-level auction, when partner has any kind of fit

What prompted the question was an auction where in that position I made a double. My intent was lead directing, but partner misunderstood. The opponents got the contact and I didn't get the lead I wanted. Partner thought that the double was for takeout, but that didn't make sense to me given the 2/1 at that point. Would you use a double for lead? I would think that a 2-suited bid would have to be very good given the strength shown by the opponents. I suppose a double could be for the other two suits, but at least 5-5. Would you play 2NT for the minors?

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-June-09, 20:47

View Postthad3, on 2019-June-09, 20:17, said:

What prompted the question was an auction where in that position I made a double. My intent was lead directing, but partner misunderstood. The opponents got the contact and I didn't get the lead I wanted. Partner thought that the double was for takeout, but that didn't make sense to me given the 2/1 at that point. Would you use a double for lead? I would think that a 2-suited bid would have to be very good given the strength shown by the opponents. I suppose a double could be for the other two suits, but at least 5-5. Would you play 2NT for the minors?
Lead directing isn't the best use of a double. Takeout is.
The opponents should have 25+ hcp on this auction.
The opponents don't even have to have the majority of clubs to make 2XX. They might be able to make on power.
Worse every once in a while your partner has a void in clubs and you get to find out what redoubled overtricks are worth!

Anyways, if you double your partner will likely assume takeout and bid their suit and you having mostly clubs, the opponents will have an easy double for penalty an collect more than their game.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   thad3 

• Pip

Posted 2019-June-09, 21:36

Thanks for the advice against the lead-directing double.

Obviously if a have a long strong suit I just bid it, assuming that the prospect for a profitable sacrifice outweighs the downside of information provided to the opponents if they play.

The two-suited situation (assume 5-5 or better) seems riskier because it depends more on what my partner has. If he is 1-2 in my suits, but has a stack in the major they would play in he won't be happy if he is forced to bid one of mine if opener chooses to pass my call.

I'm trying to come up with the cases in which an interfering call would make sense after opponents' 2/1.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-10, 07:25

View Postthad3, on 2019-June-09, 21:36, said:

Thanks for the advice against the lead-directing double.

I'm trying to come up with the cases in which an interfering call would make sense after opponents' 2/1.

I think you already answered your own question: a long strong suit or two very long suits.

#8 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-June-10, 09:05

View Postthad3, on 2019-June-09, 16:27, said:

What you are looking for is a profitable sacrifice, or to direct your partner's lead if they should out bid you...particularly if they bid nt.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users