• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what is name of this convention

#21 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-29, 14:00

View PostPhilG007, on 2019-May-29, 13:32, said:

The downside of the ASTPRO convention is if your side doesn't win the contract,you have given away your distribution.
This is why the gadget gradually fell into disfavor..

Every convention that shows length in one or more specific suits (either immediately or in a later round of bidding) gives away distributional information. Basically, that's every defense to 1NT. If giving away distributional informational was a big problem, everybody would be passing and not competing over 1NT.

I've never played Astpro or Asptro, although I did play Astro at one time, but basically, there are so many different conventions (plus natural) out there that there is no "standard" defense. Most bridge players like to jump on the bandwagon and copy whatever the world class experts play. I suspect none top players play Astpro or Asptro (or any number of other obscure conventions) so there is no bandwagon for rank and file players to jump on.

#22 User is offline   rr9000 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-29, 19:20

Another one for the detectives, if I may: what's this one called?

2C majors
2D diamonds plus a major
2H natural
2S natural

Thanks!

RR9000

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-30, 08:40

View Postrr9000, on 2019-May-28, 07:51, said:

Taking the arguments against 2D for majors into consideration, I'm looking at some of the 2C for majors conventions (such as Multi-Landy) and started wondering why 2C can't be *either* majors or a single minor. As it happens, this is what Baker-McCallum play (I expect there are others, but this was one of the first convention cards I pulled up).

Anyone know what that's called?

Is it worth giving up having pard know right away that you have at least 9 cards in the majors to have possibility of playing 2D?

Cheers,

RR9000

Seems sensible to call it Baker-McCallum or just Baker.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users