BBO Discussion Forums: Do you ever interfere over a strong 2C opening? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you ever interfere over a strong 2C opening? What criteria do you use?

#1 User is offline   22tango2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-13, 09:53

What do the experts think? Do you interfere after opps open a strong 2C? What criteria do you use? Does this open fairly often or rarely?

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-13, 14:28

View Post22tango2, on 2019-May-13, 09:53, said:

What do the experts think? Do you interfere after opps open a strong 2C? What criteria do you use? Does this open fairly often or rarely?

Didn't you like the answers you got in this thread in the intermediate and advanced forum:

https://www.bridgeba...rong-2c-opener/

or are you assuming that posters in the other thread weren't experts?

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-13, 14:30

View Postjohnu, on 2019-May-13, 14:28, said:

or are you assuming that posters in the other thread weren't experts?

I'm not, but Mikeh certainly is, and I thought it showed in his post B-)

#4 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-14, 13:33

Interference is more effective over a strong 2C than just about any other opening, because responder has no idea what sort of hand his partner has, and now there is less room to describe things. The same holds true over a Precision 1C opener (especially if you can get the bidding up a bit quickly).

This is especially true when you can prevent the opener from making the most common rebid -- 2NT. If you can get the bidding to the three-level, then if opener has the balanced NT hand (by far the most common 2C opener), all his systems are out the window.

Moreover, it's difficult for the opponents to double you. Most pairs play X over interference as a bust and pass as waiting. If responder Xs, opener can't very well leave it in unless he has a stack in your suit (very rare). If responder passes and opener has a one-suiter, he'll bid his suit. If opener has the balanced NT hand, he'll be forced to bid NT (responder will never be able to do so). With a two- or three-suiter, opener probably reopens with a X, but these hands don't open 2C that often, and even if opener Xs, responder probably won't leave it. Bottom line is that it will be a rare day in Hades that the opponents can wield the hammer.

There are two main hand types where you want to bid. One is the sort of hand where you would have opened 3x or 4x. If you would have preempted in first seat, do so after 2C. Even stretch a little if you have to.

The other is a hand where you are two-suited. There are many conventions to address this, but I like CRASH, which stands for Color / Rank / SHape. It was designed to work vs. a strong 1C opener, but it works well over a strong 2C, too. It's really effective if advancer can go to the three level immediately.

Suction, Reverse Suction, and TWERB are also very playable.

Whatever you choose, get in there are fight!

Cheers,
Mike

#5 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-May-14, 13:40

View Post22tango2, on 2019-May-13, 09:53, said:

Speaking for myself the short answer is "Yes I do" If I have something to say. If I have a good suit to show
partly to compete and hinder the opponents bidding and partly to direct a lead from partner.
My decision is even more influenced when the suit in question is spades. The pre-emptive nature
of the emperor suit gives me an advantage that must be exploited to the full
You hold AQJ9876 xx xxQx and 2 is opened on your right.
Only a coward would pass with that hand Non vul i Overcall 3 Vul I overcall 2
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#6 User is offline   vreemde 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-15, 13:07

The ACBL allows Suction vs strong club openings, and it is the best method I've seen. My pard & I try to use it at matchpoints nonvul with moderate shape or vulnerable with extreme shape.

Over 2c, 2d shows either hearts or the blacks, 2h shows either spades or the minors, 2s shows either clubs or the reds, 2n shows clubs and hearts, 3c shows diamonds and spades. Vert destructive at little cost when used judiciously.

Similar structure over Precision 1c.

#7 User is offline   Bob McC 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-15, 17:00

All of what miamijd said.

I've regretted being too timid way more often than being too aggressive in this situation.

#8 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-15, 17:09

TWERB really works well in this situation. In club level play it's rare to encounter a penalty double as opps "know" they have a contract, often getting too high.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users