• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBO program

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-03, 10:38

View Postmark_woz2, on 2019-May-03, 04:30, said:

There is a saying with just about everything that works well in this world, and it goes as follows : If it AINT broke, DONT FIX IT.

The old version is broken. It requires Flash, which is going away next year. We have to replace it.

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-May-03, 10:40

View Postnotrump4s, on 2019-May-03, 07:48, said:

How do you find the saved hands. I cannot see them.

Go into the Account tab, and scroll the column headings to the right until you see "Deal archive" and select it.

#43 User is offline   abcabc68 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-May-03, 11:18

I hate the new version,,,,,bring back the old version

#44 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-May-03, 11:45

View Postcarmelbobc, on 2019-May-02, 20:21, said:

If this works for you, please do me a favor: I have requested that BBO us "T" rather than "10" in showing a hand. This way, all the suits line up nicely. That is, a suit with a "10" does not look longer than a similarly length suit without a "10."

Some bridge websites already do this, and it looks much better (for example, "skybridgeclub.com). After all, a T is an honor card just like an A, K, Q, or J.

I strongly second this. Writing "10" makes it difficult to evaluate suit length. If the problem is that some users feel differently, then please let each user choose.

#45 User is offline   brendae 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 11:53

I think it's a fine improvement over the flash program. Sure, it will take a little time to get every little tweak in place, but bravo to the programmers for a fine job!

I think a newcomer coming into this version, with no preconceptions of where things should be from the old, will have no problem finding things. The rest of us just need to take a few moments and look around.

#46 User is offline   peter4j 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 11:59

The performance of the new version seems to be going down hill as more users switch over. I just finished an "Express" tournament where the bidding and play was so slow and jerky that I was having flashbacks to dial-up internet. Not the kind of user experience that I would tolerate for very long.

#47 User is offline   Shamus1234 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 12:49

The new program/format is horrible. Will stop playing if they don't change it back.
How did they come up with this?

#48 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 13:12

View PostShamus1234, on 2019-May-03, 12:49, said:

The new program/format is horrible. Will stop playing if they don't change it back.
How did they come up with this?

They've been beta testing the new version for a year or so. You could have tried out the new version and given feedback and just maybe, BBO would have thought your suggestions were worthy of being implemented.

As it is, the best you can do now is make specific suggestions about what you want changed and hope that BBO thinks they are good ideas that are easy to implement.

#49 User is offline   kenfree 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 13:46

View Postbarmar, on 2019-May-03, 10:38, said:

The old version is broken. It requires Flash, which is going away next year. We have to replace it.

That's understandable, but why trash years of accumulated categorization of players? This makes no sense. You should preserve what was good in the old system, including this accumulated personal data. Just lazy software design, IMHO, probably by someone who doesn't play bridge online.

#50 User is offline   jo4bridge 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 15:44

WHERE ARE THE BRIDGE BINGO GAMES????
JO4BRIDGE

#51 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-03, 16:16

Too much still needs to be done. Many people have stated the new version needs to be more friendly. TRUE!

For example, it needs to have some memory. The old version had no problem with that. When I play a set of hands, I want to see the list of hands I have played. But the sub-frame on the right with that list is far too narrow to show the various columns in that frame. So I need to reset the frame sizes, EVERY time I get in. It cannot remember that? Be serious.

It cannot remember that I prefer to see hands as hand diagrams? Be serious. Yes, I know about Account/Settings. None of this is stored.

What else? The old version had a popup My BBO/Masterpoints, that would give me a complete breakdown of the points earned in each possible category. Surely this is something trivial to provide.

When I'm kibbing a table, I really want to see the bidding, not need to remember where to click to get a new frame that hides half the window, just to see the bidding. There is lots of green space on the page. You cannot allocate a corner where the bidding is shown?

#52 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 16:22

And, did I say, BUGGY?

For example, I just responded to this post, while ribbing a table. I posted my reply. When I did, I am now no longer able to leave the table I was kibbing. I am now frozen to that table. No buttons for back. Not even a logout button. The only way to escape the table is to close down the browser window.

#53 User is offline   arnie123 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 16:43

View Postladyles, on 2019-May-01, 13:23, said:

I played, last night, on the new BBO program … very, very frustrating … many issues. One of many problems was seeing results after each board. I am a left-to-right reader … much more comfortable with results to the right. Please consider returning to the previous, more user-friendly, program.

The old version was the best ever. This new version is impossible. Why would they change the best ever

#54 User is offline   arnie123 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 16:46

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-May-02, 00:14, said:

SIR,my only comment is"THE OLD PROGRAMME WAS MORE USER FRIENDLY"

ITS MORE THEN THAT. THE NEW VERSION IS THE WORST AND THE OLD IS THE BEST. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING GOOD. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY ON THE NEW VERSION

#55 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-03, 17:08

View Postarnie123, on 2019-May-03, 16:46, said:

WHY CHANGE SOMETHING GOOD.

The old version has a dependency on Flash
Flash is being deprecated

Like it or not, the old version stops working in a few months.
This has nothing to do with BBO. Its an issue wrt what is supported by web browsers.

Moreover, Flash and HTML are very different development environments which means that you can't perfectly replicate the previous UI with the new code base.
Alderaan delenda est

#56 User is offline   arnie123 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 17:31

View Postdumm0, on 2019-May-02, 04:59, said:

Until you get used to them, new versions of any system are frustrating. No doubt the niggles will fade over time. However there are just too many silly problems with the new BBO program, not all of them mentioned by previous posters. I can identify one major benefit of having tried the new program - I appreciate just how good the old version is! Please give us the option of sticking with it, at least until a majority of users give you the green light. Finally, a big thank you to all the contributors to the BBO community (and I do include the software writers). Much appreciated.
100% agree. The old version is the best. I have over 700 masterpoints and with the new version, it cant increase. Why change the best

#57 User is offline   arnie123 

• Pip

Posted 2019-May-03, 17:34

Why change the absolute best version for this new version?

#58 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-03, 17:42

View Postarnie123, on 2019-May-03, 16:43, said:

The old version was the best ever. This new version is impossible. Why would they change the best ever

View Postarnie123, on 2019-May-03, 16:46, said:

ITS MORE THEN THAT. THE NEW VERSION IS THE WORST AND THE OLD IS THE BEST. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING GOOD. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY ON THE NEW VERSION

View Postarnie123, on 2019-May-03, 17:31, said:

100% agree. The old version is the best. I have over 700 masterpoints and with the new version, it cant increase. Why change the best

View Postarnie123, on 2019-May-03, 17:34, said:

Which version would you say is the best? :)

#59 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-May-03, 18:20

View Postarnie123, on 2019-May-03, 17:34, said:

This question has been answered.

Did I use words that are too large for you to understand?
Alderaan delenda est

#60 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-04, 01:54

View Postjohnu, on 2019-May-03, 17:42, said:

Which version would you say is the best?

The Windows version was a Rolls Royce.
The Flash version was a Trabant.
The HTML version is, at best, a child's scooter.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users