BBO Discussion Forums: One, Two or Three (or even Pass!) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One, Two or Three (or even Pass!)

Poll: One, Two or Three (or even Pass!) (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid playing Acol strong two bids

1. Pass (1 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

2. One heart (8 votes [22.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

3. Three hearts (26 votes [74.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.29%

Your bid playing a weak two opening system

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. One heart (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Two hearts (14 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Three hearts (21 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-April-16, 04:26

I admit I don't visit BBO much these days, but I played a few hands yesterday afternoon (in the Acol room playing IMPs) where the standard and slowness of play wasn't inspiring. However...

You pick up this hand with a casual partner playing strong Acol two bids, and are at favourability vulnerability third in hand. Obviously, you can't open a weak two, but even if you could is it the right bid here?

I'll be interested in your views, and thanks in advance for your replies. And would your bid be different playing MPs.

For your information I tried 3.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-16, 04:37

I'd probably open 1. The danger with this hand is that partner has something like QJ10x, x, Axxx, xxxx, and nobody's making anything, or he does have a fit and you push them into a making 4 when they weren't otherwise bidding it. Normally I'm all for blasting as high as I can straight off, but this hand has caution flags all over it with potentially 2 defensive tricks. If I had a constructive weak 2 available I might use it.

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-16, 05:06

I'm not sure that it's legal in England to agree to open 1 with this hand. I would certainly want more shape.

A 3 bid looks normal - even if you had 2 available. But I might judge to open 2, 4 or 1 (notwithstanding my comment about legality), based on my view of the opps.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-16, 05:22

View PostTramticket, on 2019-April-16, 05:06, said:

I'm not sure that it's legal in England to agree to open 1 with this hand. I would certainly want more shape.

A 3 bid looks normal - even if you had 2 available. But I might judge to open 2, 4 or 1 (notwithstanding my comment about legality), based on my view of the opps.

IIRC there is a dispensation for light 3rd in openers

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-16, 06:38

I would use a weak 2 if that was in my system.
If not then 1 would be quite justified, but it probably wouldn't be allowed in Italy even in third seat.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-16, 08:18

View PostTramticket, on 2019-April-16, 05:06, said:

I'm not sure that it's legal in England to agree to open 1 with this hand.

EBU Level 4

BB 7 A 3 Strength of Opening One-level Bids
A one-level opening bid in a suit, whether forcing or not, must by agreement show 8+ HCP and,
in first and second position, follow the Rule of 18. Natural 1NT opening bids must show 9+
HCP.

So, yes, permitted to open this at the one level in any seat at Level 4.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-16, 08:57

4h ok it was not a choice in the polls however p being a passed hand means there is very real danger the opps have a game AND even if we have game (and they do not) p will not be able to bid it xxx Txx Qx AQJxx. I wish to try and make their life as difficult as possible. The decent suit makes a penalty x/conversion very unlikely

#8 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-16, 09:21

View Postgszes, on 2019-April-16, 08:57, said:

4h ok it was not a choice in the polls however p being a passed hand means there is very real danger the opps have a game AND even if we have game (and they do not) p will not be able to bid it xxx Txx Qx AQJxx. I wish to try and make their life as difficult as possible. The decent suit makes a penalty x/conversion very unlikely

4 not ok. mad. too much defense. suit 6 long. very mad. even white/red

#9 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-17, 10:00

I agree with 3 , but I understand your question. The big draw back of bidding properly my self could very well be the opponents bidding properly to: ie a sharp but making 4 , because my 3 enables them to reevaluate their hands. Even pass might be the big winner.

Maarten Baltussen

#10 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-17, 11:21

A weak 2H tells your story best. Six good hearts; a decent offensive hand; short of an opening 1-bid. So that would be my choice playing a standard system; I wouldn't think of doing anything else.

If I didn't have weak 2s available, then I would need to pick between 1H and 3H. 1H is OK if I don't have 2H available; in third seat, partner knows I can be light. 3H has the advantage of making it difficult for the opponents to enter the auction and find their spade fit, but if partner bids 5H over 4S I'm not going to be happy.

I personally almost never open 3 of a major on a six-bagger (3 of a minor is a very different story), so I would probably bid 1H. But I have no problem with 3H at this vulnerability with a stiff spade.

Pass shouldn't even be a consideration. When your hand justifies a bid, you bid. You don't win at bridge by sitting idle and making life easy for the opponents.

Cheers,
mike

#11 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-April-17, 13:36

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-April-16, 04:26, said:

I admit I don't visit BBO much these days, but I played a few hands yesterday afternoon (in the Acol room playing IMPs) where the standard and slowness of play wasn't inspiring. However...

You pick up this hand with a casual partner playing strong Acol two bids, and are at favourability vulnerability third in hand. Obviously, you can't open a weak two, but even if you could is it the right bid here?

I'll be interested in your views, and thanks in advance for your replies. And would your bid be different playing MPs.

For your information I tried 3.

In third seat after two passes and with my meagre pointage its obvious where the strength is. The vulnerability is in my favour so I'll open
3 regardless of the system to make life as difficult as possible for my LHO..
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#12 User is offline   Lorneg 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-April-17, 14:50

test

#13 User is offline   Lorneg 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-April-17, 14:58

Is anyone else having trouble voting on this topic?

#14 User is offline   Rikje 

• Pip

Posted 2019-April-17, 15:06

View PostLorneg, on 2019-April-17, 14:58, said:

Is anyone else having trouble voting on this topic?

Not me Lorneg, voting went smoothly..

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-April-18, 03:29

Sir,I do not know much about ACOL so it was a toss up between Pass and 3H.I chose 3H looking at the vulnerability.3H is at least lead pointing if not ideal.Opening 1H is confusing.Playing standard I have voted for 2H as the Drury convention is not a universal one and partner may not be knowing it.T he HCP could be divided 10=11-9-10 and may have gone ALL PASS IF I TO DID NOT BID.I t is far too preposterous to JUST IMAGINE that opponents have the strength to bid game (which may not be on). 2H solves all these problems and conveys the correct message to partner.I still remember a hand where a similar hand was opened 3S (it was the suit) and it P-P-x minus 500 was a complete debacle losing 11IMP.for no reason when it would have gone ALL PASS just like the other table.When his partner asked the reason for opening 3S the player replied that it was TO INTIMIDATE the opponents.!Curtains !

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-18, 03:41

View PostFelicityR, on 2019-April-16, 04:26, said:

Obviously, you can't open a weak two, but even if you could is it the right bid here?

If you are playing weak 2's, why wouldn't you open a weak 2? 6 card suit, 9 HCP, about average shape for a hand with a 6 card suit. If you are a Marty Bergen disciple, then maybe 3 or 4.

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-April-18, 22:26

View Postjohnu, on 2019-April-18, 03:41, said:

If you are playing weak 2's, why wouldn't you open a weak 2? 6 card suit, 9 HCP, about average shape for a hand with a 6 card suit. If you are a Marty Bergen disciple, then maybe 3 or 4.

Sir,sorry but it appears you have missed a point.Felicity clearly mentioned that all were using only ACOL.In ACOL all 2C/D/H/S/NT opening bids are strong hands much better than normal11-15 hands.As such Felicity had to either Pass or open 3H..As I mentioned ,If one wishes to open this hand 1H then one must be sure that you are playing Drury with a stranger partner(verified from his profile.).THANKS.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users