and what is your bid holding
AKQT7 A 975 9543 in responce to the 2!C

Thank you

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-10, 16:14

This isn't really a 2/1 issue since you start with a 1-level response.

But in all modern versions of Standard American, a general rule is that a new suit by responder in an uncontested auction, where neither partner has bid notrumps, does not limit responder's hand.

So 2 is forcing for one round. Some play it as game forcing but I think that's a minority position.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-10, 16:18

A growing number of people play this as a completely artificial bid, something like 3rd suit forcing.

Do you have any agreement what 3 would be in response to 2 ?

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-10, 16:21

It's not really a 2/1 specific question.

Yes, 2d is normally played as forcing. In general new suits by responder are forcing except 1m-1s-1nt-2h. But some play with special agreement that 1c-1s-2c-2h is also nf since 2d is available to force, so called Bourke relay.

In std American based systems, which 2/1 descended from, in old days both 2d and 2h were played as forcing 1rd. These days some continue that while some make 2d gf while 2h nf. Plus other approaches developed within partnerships but not widely played.

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-11, 15:54

As others said, it is some artificial relay to know a bit more from partner. Whether it is GF or not, denies 4H or not depends on agreements and also on what 1C-2D/H means (weak 5+S and 4+H?) and if 2H is forcing or not in this sequence.

FWIW play it as forcing 1 complete round and denies 4H. I expect partner to show delayed S support (at level 2 or 3 with a good hand, partner can still have 16-17 bad HCP with a lousy suit), H guard (or NT if both red suits are covered), repeat C or maybe even show a minor 2-suiter with longer C by bidding 3D.

The bid w/ the hand you give is therefore correct and would also be correct playing opposite persons. I plan to support C next if partner doesn’t have 3 spades. And will avoid 3NT if partner doesn’t convince me it is a right spot.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-12, 18:07

Logic dictates it if at least forcing one round. Artificial or not. If responder had a weak hand with long diamonds and 4 spades they would bid 1d not 1s. If responder has a weak hand with long spades and cannot stand 2c they will bid 2s. The only time there is a problem with this is when responder has a hand like
QJxxx xxx QJxxx void. In the long run it is probably better to just bid 2s (did I hear someone say a NF 2h?) and it is a shame we lose the dia suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users