one made this contract

#1 User is offline   cencio 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-24, 03:41

West starts with 4
south name : Goren
He discards the K.
East doesn't continue spade fearing the ruff.
And then he squeezed the opps

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-24, 04:22

Very nice! One would have to be very alert to make the critical play in tempo though.

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2019-March-24, 08:00

I found this hand (remembering something like that) in the beautiful book by José Le Dentu "Bridge dei Campioni" in the part dedicated to "The psychological weapon": "4. The force of despair It was at that time of the whist that an unknown champion, to get out of a desperate situation, discovered a remarkable cunning. Since then, it has always been used successfully, especially by Goren and we can say that "there is no adversary in the world that can avoid falling into the trap", as this deal [in post #1] shows. The bidding reported is a slightly different: S 1 W (p) N 1 E (X), p! - (1 ) - p- (2 ), 3 - (p) -4 - (p), 4NT [Blw] !! - (p) -5 [1Ace] - (p), 6 !!! (...) Seeing the opening lead of 4, South realized, in a flash, that West would ruff on the second round of because 2 was on dummy and 3 in his hand, with an extraordinary cold blood and without losing a second, as the minimum hesitation would have been fatal, "he rejects the King of Spades on the Ace" (...) In fact, if East does not play , there is no defense and, when "he decides to fight back with the King of Hearts", S takes with the Ace and run all trumps (keeping all the diamonds to the dummy), while the situation for E gets worse from second to second. Consequently with himself, the opponent discards his last on the last atout, but the 3 turned winner, will make him suffer the anguish of a second squeeze and will procure S the second hold he missed." [From "Bridge A' La Une " by J. Le Dentu pages 362-363].(Lovera)

#4 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-March-25, 02:27

SIRS,On pages 74/75 of the book ENDPLAYS IN BRIDGE which is written by the late George S Coffin, he has described the same hand which was shown to him in 1934 which he passed on to late Milton C Work who published it in his newspaper syndicate column.He credited the hand to Norman BONNEY.who passed on this hand.HOWEVER, Charles W May of Auburn in Maine claimed to have held and played this hand.It appears that Mr.Charles Goren ,who was considered a great player, then modified the hand with only small cards here and there and published it under his name.Mr.Coffin has nicely called it "Poker play develops squeeze.".Leave alone all that ,this hand remains a nice illustrative hand for all of us.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-25, 03:29

View Postsfi, on 2019-March-24, 04:22, said:

Very nice! One would have to be very alert to make the critical play in tempo though.

Agreed. But even I would immediately spot that a ruff is coming, so it is a risk-free play to play the king at trick one and try to work out the details later.

I'm not saying that I would do it - but I can conceive that some might! :)

#6 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-25, 13:18

View Postcencio, on 2019-March-24, 03:41, said:

West starts with 4
south name : Goren
He discards the K.
East doesn't continue spade fearing the ruff.
And then he squeezed the opps

And it’s more than just a straightforward squeeze because S has only ten winners, not eleven. It’s a repeating squeeze that gains two tricks. You don’t see those every day.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users