Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smith

#1 User is offline   portia2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-22, 02:03

Playing UDCA, is it better to be consistent and play a low card to encourage when using a Smith signal in a no trumps contract. I notice that many people use a high one instead. What do most top players do, and why? Many thanks

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-22, 02:38

My personal preference is "reverse Smith by the presumed length", regular by the partner. I learned this style from Marshall Mile's excellent "Defensive signals" book which is unfortunately out of print.
E.g. If opening leader with the presumed long suit definitely wants a shift then echo. Low-high is just neutral = I probably just want my suit continued, but it's not a demand, you can use your judgment if something else looks better. Whereas by the other side echo = lead the first suit again, my holding is strong. And low-high is the neutral signal.

Another way to remember this style is "echo is unusual"; high-low means you want partner to do the unusual thing. That means as opening leader, wanting a shift when partner gets in. As not on opening lead, means you want partner to continue his own suit, because you are unusually strong, and he doesn't need to find a side entry for a lead through declarer's strength in the suit because you have it instead. (Reverse meanings if partner was leading your suit trick 1 because you bid it).

Rationale: Smith is an echo in the opponent's suit. Reasonably often you cannot afford to echo in the opponent's suit because not blowing potential tricks, wasting spots takes precedence. So you probably want the low signal to be congruent to do the usual thing, because it will usually be right, if partner doesn't know you were forced to play low due to lack of safe options in the suit.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-March-22, 02:56

View Postportia2, on 2019-March-22, 02:03, said:

Playing UDCA, is it better to be consistent and play a low card to encourage when using a Smith signal in a no trumps contract. I notice that many people use a high one instead. What do most top players do, and why? Many thanks

For us, a Smith-peter in declarer's suit, by the opening leader or his partner, asks for a switch. This agreement has the merit of simplicity and memorability, Refusing to waste a pip when you can stand a continuation is also a sensible policy because continuing the opening leader's suit is usually best, Typically, a defensive switch costs half-a-trick.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users