BBO Discussion Forums: Some suggestions about challenges - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some suggestions about challenges

#1 User is offline   cvcherry 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-21, 05:17

I have some friends but hard to get online simultaneously, so we play friend challenges a lot.
Now I have some suggestions:

1. Can we add a "Classic" option for challenges (also can have more classic tournaments)? Being dummy is part of bridge, we just think when you are dummy, you are forced to declare that's not fair. Although declarer skill is important, but doubled declaring hands isn't the true thing happening on real table, so why should we declare dummy's hands on challenges or tournaments?

2. We have "barometer" options on team matches, and we think it can also be an option in challenge. Of course, if my opponents plays a challenge first, and when I play, I can see the results played, it can affects my strategy and someone may think it's not fair. But at least it adds a fun option, and it can be a checkbox when creating challenge. More options can't be worse, and I think it should be easy to program technically.

3. Is it possible to create a challenge for multiple people? I mean, all players with 3 robots playing same hands, and the result is calculated among all the tables. Just like robot tournaments did. We are glad if this can be implemented in future. Now my friends hold round robin challenges and calculate VPs, but we think if such an options implements, it can only be better. We can all play same hands and after playing, discussing all players' decisions. (Maybe it exists some reason for you not to implement it? If so, explanations please)

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-21, 13:11

View Postcvcherry, on 2019-March-21, 05:17, said:

1. Can we add a "Classic" option for challenges (also can have more classic tournaments)? Being dummy is part of bridge, we just think when you are dummy, you are forced to declare that's not fair. Although declarer skill is important, but doubled declaring hands isn't the true thing happening on real table, so why should we declare dummy's hands on challenges or tournaments? so, explanations please)

What's the point of playing a board if a robot is declarer and there are 2 robot defenders? If the bidding is the same with robots as declarer at both tables, you should get identical results (unless there is a GIB glitch which would be totally random and unrelated to skill) so these boards become bidding contests (and probably beginner level bidding contests since most hands are very straightforward).

Bridge is a partnership game. If your opponent and you have exactly the same partner, how do you differentiate between your performance and your opponents? Certainly not by offloading declarer play to a common partner which has the effect of decreasing the effective number of boards played and increasing variance.

If you are an expert player, you have to dread having GIB declare a hand for you. True, GIB has a great double dummy analyzer, but bridge isn't played double dummy and single dummy, GIB makes some beginner level mistakes that are unbelievable.

If GIB declares better than you, you might enjoy having GIB declare hands, but IMHO you are better off practicing your declarer play and playing as many hands as you can.

#3 User is offline   cvcherry 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-21, 18:36

View Postjohnu, on 2019-March-21, 13:11, said:

What's the point of playing a board if a robot is declarer and there are 2 robot defenders? If the bidding is the same with robots as declarer at both tables, you should get identical results (unless there is a GIB glitch which would be totally random and unrelated to skill) so these boards become bidding contests (and probably beginner level bidding contests since most hands are very straightforward).

Bridge is a partnership game. If your opponent and you have exactly the same partner, how do you differentiate between your performance and your opponents? Certainly not by offloading declarer play to a common partner which has the effect of decreasing the effective number of boards played and increasing variance.

If you are an expert player, you have to dread having GIB declare a hand for you. True, GIB has a great double dummy analyzer, but bridge isn't played double dummy and single dummy, GIB makes some beginner level mistakes that are unbelievable.

If GIB declares better than you, you might enjoy having GIB declare hands, but IMHO you are better off practicing your declarer play and playing as many hands as you can.

But it's against real bridge, in real bridge you don't declare so many hands. Anyway, add a checkbox isn't much, for most of you don't like, just leave the checkbox off

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users