BBO Discussion Forums: opponent preempt interference - part 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

opponent preempt interference - part 2

#1 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 14:50

In part 1 - I did not show north's hand. The bidding actually went - as suggested by responders in part 1 - 1H, 3S, 3N - back to north to bid. I should mention that I had not shown the vulnerability - which is that n/s was vulnerable and e/w nv.

So - as north - having a void in clubs - 2 suited - what would you bid (pass or otherwise) and why?

Any information is very helpful. Thanks so much.

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 15:26

Trust partner. They said don't worry about spades, you have 5 quality diamonds to run, which will be nice when they see the lousy hearts. The defense is unlikely to find a heart lead and is probably going to lead a spade or a club up to your partner's presumed holding. The only reason to continue bidding is because you think a slam in there, and the hearts should dissuade you of that. One of the things I like to say in situations like this, is don't worry about what they haven't shown.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-March-20, 15:54

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-March-20, 14:50, said:

In part 1 - I did not show north's hand. The bidding actually went - as suggested by responders in part 1 - 1H, 3S, 3N - back to north to bid. I should mention that I had not shown the vulnerability - which is that n/s was vulnerable and e/w nv.

So - as north - having a void in clubs - 2 suited - what would you bid (pass or otherwise) and why?

Any information is very helpful. Thanks so much.

Your hand doesn't look too promising for 5 diamonds. You have a spade issue, since on this auction your RHO will often be void, with partner holding, for example, KQx in spades. Your heart suit is likely facing inadequate support....partner could quite properly bid 3N even with 3 card heart support, but most of the time he will have shorter hearts than that, and the heart suit may well break badly on the auction.

So you are likely going to need something in clubs for your side to make a high level red suit contract. Meanwhile, as HV suggested, your diamonds are going to be as pleasant a surprise to your partner (who is probably a bit concerned about that suit) as your hearts will be a disappointment.

Whatever else you do, do not run from a 3N bid like this based on fear...run towards a possibly better contract but don't run from your partner's bid without strong reason to think that running will lead to a better outcome.

Here, had you held, for example, Jxx AKxxx AKQJx void, it is probably ok to run, although my spades still worry me. Bid 4D...one never, ever pulls a voluntarily bid as undoubled 3N to 4m in an effort to play 4m, so 4D shows a 2-suiter with higher ambitions.

Were partner to have bid 3N on, say, AQx xx 10xxx AKJx, we should get to 6D, which rates to make even if they ruff a spade at trick 1.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-March-21, 16:38

Sit for 3 NT. Trust partner. Don't punish partner for taking an unusual action. You don't know what partner holds, but partner has at least some idea of what you hold.

The only time you might pull 3 NT is if it is absolutely clear there is a better contract. But even then you ought to think twice about doing so. Over the
years, I've seen way too many opponents turn great results into disasters because they couldn't sit when partner did something unusual.

Actually, if you think past the shock of having the void, partner has to have pieces. Partner has bid 3 NT so must have opening count. From your hand, you can see that partner has bid 3 NT with nothing in . With pieces and a fit, partner would bid . Without anything in and , partner isn't likely to bid 3 NT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users