BBO Discussion Forums: Majors 5=4 - Respomder',s options with support - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Majors 5=4 - Respomder',s options with support Both majors - Forcing 1NT

#1 User is offline   teniente 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 07:41

Hi folks,

Playing 2/1 & forcing 1NT

What do you think is the better aproach? Standard theory? MP ground, not just IMP oriented.

1S 1N (forcing)
2H ?

A.- 2h is still 13-18.
Would it be more limited?

B.- Responder has 4 heart support
Assuming opener is 13-18.

a. Pass with 6-7?
b. Raise with 8-9?
c. Bid game with 10-11?

Something different?

Ty very much

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 08:36

(A) With today's light openers the range is often more like 11-18. Not a great hand for natural systems. It's why some people use Gazzilli type gadgets.

(B) Your ranges are approximately right, but I would downgrade a lot of hands based on poor honor location. Generally you prefer to have quacks in the majors and aces or kings in the minors, which means the points are working, rather than the other way around. So there are a lot of 8s I would just pass, and a lot of 10s and some 11s I'd just invite. Especially opposite a partner who opens all 11 counts with 54 in the majors.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-20, 12:22

Do you need 13hcp to open, or is 12 OK? You are probably unique if you need 13 to open, so let's say 12 is possible. Raising to 3 with 8/9 hcp when opener has 12hcp and there is only a 4-4 fit is not something I would like to do. This is why I (and many) think that the range needs to be limited to something more manageable, but that adds artificiality. Assuming opener would have jumped to 3 with 19, 12-18 is a range that makes life difficult. If you put a split in the range to say that in general if above the line opener will accept a game invitation, then you would say 12-14 declines, but a 15 accepts.

If partner has 15 or 16 then I would like 10hcp to make that invitation, stretch with only a good 9, and all 8s would pass. 12+10 makes 22, so the minimum opener will have a playable (but not good) chance of making 3. 8+12 has no chance.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users