BBO Discussion Forums: On-Line Partnership bidding and play practice - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

On-Line Partnership bidding and play practice

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2019-March-15, 21:05

Two friends who are keen learners have asked me whether there is a way where they can play each other on line vs. a robot that can be set to play their system as it evolves. At present their system is very basic, Acol weak No trump, weak 2's, standard Blackwood, but over the next few months they will add Stayman and Transfers (red suit + 2S transfer to 3C). Does such a facility exist on BBO or on Bridge Baron, Jack etc..?

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-15, 21:20

View PostLiversidge, on 2019-March-15, 21:05, said:

Two friends who are keen learners have asked me whether there is a way where they can play each other on line vs. a robot that can be set to play their system as it evolves. At present their system is very basic, Acol weak No trump, weak 2's, standard Blackwood, but over the next few months they will add Stayman and Transfers (red suit + 2S transfer to 3C). Does such a facility exist on BBO or on Bridge Baron, Jack etc..?

Hi Liversidge

Sadly there are not many options. I've been trying to do the same with a friend who plays Basic Acol. We are trying to find some compromise bids to get around the issue without upsetting GiB :)

One of the best sites for choosing systems (Fun Bridge) does not allow two friends to play against the Bots in the Windows version, but I believe its possible with the App. I have been in touch with them

Its a shame GiB only knows 1 system

I've been in touch with the EBU and they arent aware of many alternatives for two players, playing Acol against a bot. They gave me a few links but mostly relate to Acol areas online where you play against humans

Bridge Base advice

Bridge Club Live

The EBU also have their own Fun Bridge games but I dont think you can play a partnership against the bot

Fun bridge games

Hopefully Fun Bridge or someone will add it to their software given the good system choices they have, or maybe GiB can learn different systems :) Its a real shame that the function is not yet available. Would have thought it would be in demand

Sorry I'm not much help

P

#3 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-16, 03:55

If they both buy a copy of Jack they can play against each other and set the opponents CC to anything they will want for a while at least. Jack will play most conventions. My biggest problem is dbls but I think that will be ok for novices too it does play negative dbls and you can specify up to what level for example provided it is not above 4.

Qplus will do what you want aswell. Wbridge which is free might be ok. It's ability to play the hands and defend is good enough, the number of options it has may well not be.

I suggest downloading the Jack demo and seeing if it is what you want by just trying it offline. Qplus also has a free demo.

You may need to understand port forwarding to set up your own connection to each other.

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-16, 06:35

Hi Etha

Thx for the advice

I have Wbridge, havent yet invested in Jack. Not familiar with Qplus. Is there any documentation with the software on how to use it across the internet. I can set up firewall stuff at my end but I think it would be a challenge talking my friend through it from 10,000 miles away, and I dont know if I could set up a virtual desktop arrangement on his PC to manage stuff :( Getting a browser upgrade so bridgebase works was quite a challenge in itself. Hoping Fun Bridge will come to the party

Seems that much of the bridge stuff is still in the 90s with a reasonably high level of computer and netowrk knowledge :)

regards P

#5 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-16, 06:50

For all of these it is trivial for the person connecting they just have to type in the numbers you tell them to, and if their firewall complains click whatever the box is for yes allow this.

Once you have your end set up to allow a connection it is easy.

wbridge actions connection type in ip address and port number and what seat you want to sit in for example.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users