BBO Discussion Forums: Length or strength - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Length or strength Responding to openings of 1 of a suit

#21 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-March-18, 16:51

View Postbillyjef, on 2019-March-18, 16:09, said:

Wow, didn't expect to strike such a nerve. I agree with you regarding the treatment and despise the treatment as said. Their teaching is that is what fourth suit game forcing is for. Again, not defending them, just saying for some it is an agreement. I respect you, you perspective, experience and qualifications but I think you might be disparaging the ACBL's Barry Crane list a little harshly, IMO.

Hey, writing and pressing send can result in appearing to be more sensitive that I am in fact :rolleyes:

However, I am always amused by the notion that there is any correlation between skill and masterpoint winnings. I've played against clients who would struggle to break average in a club game, if playing with their peers, but who win scores of points, even 100 or more, at Regionals, where they show up with 4 pros and play half the matches. Most clients are unlike the Nickells or the Diamonds of the bridge world B-).

I also have friends who, in retirement, play a LOT of bridge. They routinely finish quite high in the top 500, but they'd be the first to tell you that it is an attendance reward.

In fact, if one is playing mostly regionals, the reality appears to be that the level of competition is way lower than it used to be. Many of the best players are dead or retired from the game. Events are smaller, and the number of touring pro teams, at least in the Pacific NW events, has been dropping for years. Meanwhile the award scale results in vast numbers of masterpoints being awarded for doing reasonably well in an event in which there were very few good players.

Sit in on a discussion amongst really good players, in which they discuss prospective teammates or assess the competition in a serious event, and one is extremely unlikely to ever hear any discussion about how many masterpoints someone has or where they finished in the Barry Crane. I'm playing in our GNT District Final in April. I don't even know approximately how many masterpoints two of my teammates have (lots more than me is about it...I am sure they are both Grand LMs) and the only reason I know my partner's approximate total is that he will almost surely become a Grand Life Master this year.

As for me, my problem is that I bring down my team's average mp holdings, and seeding points. Heck, last month at a nearby Sectional the Director selling entries offered me an entry in Flight C of the Pairs :). My partner (who has 2 NABC wins, 4 Canadian Team wins and about 9800 mps), was very amused. He often finishes in the top 500, so I suspect he would have been offered at least B flight.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-18, 17:43

View Postmikeh, on 2019-March-18, 15:50, said:

However, the thread has veered close to thread jacking with the absurd suggestion that it is remotely popular amongst good players to play that a 2C response denies a 4 card major. There may be some players who win a few points each year who feel that way, but I doubt that any strong pair does, at least in a method that approximates a modern 2/1 method, and is played at imps.

Last I knew, MAFIA (Majors First Always In Answering) was still pretty popular in Poland...
Alderaan delenda est

#23 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-March-18, 17:47

View Posthrothgar, on 2019-March-18, 17:43, said:

Last I knew, MAFIA (Majors First Always In Answering) was still pretty popular in Poland...

Is this in the context of Polish Club? Or a NA type of 2/1? The only Poles I played, as in Poles living in Poland (I know a couple of ex-Poles, who play 2/1 over here) seemed to play Polish Club: a method with all kinds of differences from 2/1, not that I know most of them.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-18, 18:06

View Postmikeh, on 2019-March-18, 17:47, said:

Is this in the context of Polish Club? Or a NA type of 2/1? The only Poles I played, as in Poles living in Poland (I know a couple of ex-Poles, who play 2/1 over here) seemed to play Polish Club: a method with all kinds of differences from 2/1, not that I know most of them.

It doesn't make much of a difference for this debate. 1D is natural, while 1C is semi-natural with clear actions for the artificial strong hands. And you can comfortably play 2/1 with Polish Club, since they are both 5-card major systems with strong NT.

#25 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-19, 05:45

This is in the context of Polish Club, however, that shouldn't matter much for the auctions

1 - 1M versus
1 - 2

MAFIA also applies following a 1C opening, however, these are a bit more idiosyncratic
Alderaan delenda est

#26 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-19, 07:10

Even over one Polish club you don't need to show the major first with a game-forcing hand. Bidding 2m and following it up with the major is playable - I've been doing it for years. If you bid the major first, you need some way to show a strong hand with a longer minor. Easy enough to add but I don't remember it in the basic published versions.

If you don't have a game-forcing hand then you definitely need to bid the major first.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users