• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-15, 07:15

Pairs

Universe 1

2NT is not alerted and is natural.

What do you bid?

Universe 2

2NT is alerted and on inquiry is described as showing heart support and at least invitational values.

What do you bid?

I am particularly interested in reasons for any change of bid in Universe 2

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-15, 07:22

View PostTramticket, on 2019-March-15, 07:15, said:

Pairs

Universe 1

2NT is not alerted and is natural.

What do you bid?

Universe 2

2NT is alerted and on inquiry is described as showing heart support and at least invitational values.

What do you bid?

I think I would bid 3C in the first case and 4C in the second. Expecting the hand on my right to have values in my suits and no fit suggests caution as opposed to when the opponents are known to have a fit.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-March-15, 07:36

Tramticket writes 'Pairs
Universe 1 2NT is not alerted and is natural.
Universe 2 2NT is alerted and on inquiry is described as showing heart support and at least invitational values.
What do you bid?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I might bid 3 in both universes but many players would act differently depending on context.

#4 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-15, 11:44

Universe 1: I pass!. The opps don't have a heart fit that you know of, so partner has 5+ hearts for them to deal with. The opps both are saying they have good hands, so partner has trash. I think I'm beating 2n and I don't want to talk them out of 3n. Even if you can make something in clubs, they are vulnerable and I like going for 200 that way better.

Universe 2: 3c, now a sacrifice may be profitable and I want to get partner involved. 4h may be wrong if partner has say 3-4 decent hearts and a stiff spade. Now spade AK and maybe an uppercut with the A coming.

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-15, 15:19

Universe 1: seems risky to bid given opp’s « misfit » (overcaller probably has extra length so they might be fitted) and overall strength (vulnerable 2-level overcall and 10-12 roughly for advancer)

Universe 2: they have a fit, so we have one, I have good distribution to say the least and good honors on top of that, so bid!

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-17, 01:50

I am a simple man, I have lots of spades and clubs, I bid spades and clubs. 3C both times.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-19, 06:49

For me, the difference is enormous. In case 1, the opponents are on their way to 3NT with horrible breaks. In case 2, the opponents are on their way to 4 and I would like to suggest a save. So, in case 1: I pass, intensing to lead a club. In case 2: I bid 4.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-March-19, 15:18

I'm bidding 3 in both cases.

In Universe 1, there are 9-10 between 2 NT bidder and opener else 2 NT bidder doesn't really have a stopper. So opener's partner is likely to be short and more likely to have a fit.

In Universe 2, the opponents have a fit which makes it likely our side has a fit. If the opponent find game, partner will be in position to make a good decision about saving or defending.

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-22, 08:59

My reasoning at the table was:

Universe 2:
without the alert, I know that opps have strength but not a fit. The opps likely have the balance of the points and RHO has values in my spade suit. But I have 6-5 distribution and lots of playing strength. I am surprised that some are choosing to pass. Bidding 3 seems entirely obvious to me - even at the vulnerability.

Universe 1:
At the table, there was an (incorrect) alert of the 2NT bid. Now the opponents have advertised a heart fit. There seems to be even more reason to bid, but the problem with bidding the shape is that LHO will have an easy 3 bid or 3 game try over 3. I chose instead to repeat my spades and rebid 3 (4, as suggested by Gordon was also considered).

Was this a reasonable tactical choice?

The full hand was:

The director rolled the contract back to 3=, based on my argument that without the incorrect alert I would have bid the normal 3 and we would have stopped in 3. My thoughts are:
1. Partner could be argued to be naive in bidding 4 - she knows that the alert is incorrect!
2. The ruling was non-contentious (we had won on the night, whichever way the ruling went). But there is an argument that 3X and 4X should have been weighted into the ruling!
3. What an ugly 2 vulnerable overcall!

#10 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-22, 12:26

Best bid of the year and best explanation of the year combo for S!

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-22, 17:59

View Postapollo1201, on 2019-March-22, 12:26, said:

Best bid of the year and best explanation of the year combo for S!

Agreed.

This is a competent player that I respect! No idea how he came out with this bid. Apparently 2NT shows support if a two-level cue bid is not available (it was here).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users