BBO Discussion Forums: Occasional problems with Drury type situations - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Occasional problems with Drury type situations

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-06, 18:20

Hi all

After all these months I would have hoped to have a better grip on 2/1 and the various conventions on the GiB card. I like Rev Drury but sometimes I get into trouble with correct hand assessment or communication via the rebid and end up in the wrong strain or strength of contract

Suppose you have a 5422 hand, two reasonable quality majors and 13 HCPs, possibly 14 distributional

You open 1S after partner passed. PArtner gives a drury 2C

My understanding of the options are

2D is normal opening bid 12+ points (HCP or total?)
2H is natural, 4+ Hearts but not guaranteeing extra strength
2S is weak opening bid

etc

On the above hand I would bid 2H. My hand is strong enough to test my second major

Why would a partner (with 33 majors) jump straight to game in my shorter major when they dont know the strength of my hand. This happened recently. And instead of being in a safe 3S I ended up in a hopeless 4H which should never have been bid :)

Am I doing something wrong

regards P

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-06, 19:15

2 seems like the most reasonable bid

GIB bid 4!H because its simulation suggested that 4!H was the best contract.
Without seeing the actual hand its hard to offer any more concrete explanation.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 19:17

Hi

Thanks Hrothgar

I may post the hand later but it may still be used somewhere so will wait until later

I would hope a responder would either pass 2H, bid 2S, 2NT, or bid 3H maximum and leave a decision to opener

regards P

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 19:50

Hopinh for cooperation from GIB is like hoping a fish will leap out of the sea and into your net - it might happen once in a while, but don't expect it, and don't cater for it. I would never try to introduce hearts here. Once GIB thinks you have a fit, it's never going to play elsewhere.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 20:51

TylerE, on 2019-March-06, 19:50, said:

Hopinh for cooperation from GIB is like hoping a fish will leap out of the sea and into your net - it might happen once in a while, but don't expect it, and don't cater for it. I would never try to introduce hearts here. Once GIB thinks you have a fit, it's never going to play elsewhere.

It knew we had a 5-3 fit in Spades. It didnt know that in hearts. All it knew was 3-4

And as far as I know under almost any bidding system in the world you can bid Spades followed by hearts without it forcing beyond part score

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 21:13

You just are being willfully ignorant at this point. How many times do you need to be told that GIB doesn't bid like a human partner?

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 21:23

TylerE, on 2019-March-06, 21:13, said:

You just are being willfully ignorant at this point. How many times do you need to be told that GIB doesn't bid like a human partner?

You are being wilfully obnoxious Tyler. You are the one who keep showing your ignorance on all my threads. So kindly do not post in response to anything ever again. You never have anything useful to say.I dont know where you ever got the impression you know anything about Bridge

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 21:33

LOL, you have a real ego problem. and you get off on saying people are attacking YOU. POT KETTLE.

#9 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 21:40

If you look at the description of 2, you can see GIB doesn't play it the way you think:

Invite to game: 4+, 5+, 13-14 total points

a) it promises a full opening hand
b) it asks partner to bid game with anything more than an absolute minimum

With 4 hearts, GIB will always bid 4, because:

a) a 4-4 fit is always preferable to a 5-3 fit
b) there's basically no such thing as an absolute minimum because you have a double fit.

If you're saying GIB jumped to 4 with only 3 card support, then that's definitely a bug, unless you're playing with Advanced GIB and it calculated (somehow) this was a better spot, in which case it's bad but just how the robot works.

#10 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-07, 04:05

BBO is the best site to learn bridge but GIB is not the best robot to learn bridge with if you choose a robot to learn from.

I have no conection with any of the following.

Jack is the best robot to learn from. It will play 2/1 and almost any convention associated with it. The only one missing I can think of is 2 way check back. It will play the hands much better than anyone except the very best. Defense and bidding are only ok but better than any other robot. It has a learning feature which will tell you what you did wrong which you might find useful. It is not free but not terribly expensive.

Wbridge is free. It is slightly annoying in some of its methods but it will play 2/1 mostly sanely. Its card play is excellent. You can play a free tournament with wbridge against 2 wbridge and compare scores with other players. It is match pointed though which may be useless to you. last time i looked 200+ people played these each day.

You seem keen enough that you really ought to try to find a similar human and learn the game with them though.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users