• You cannot reply to this topic

a new low

#1 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:golf, bridge, opera

Posted 2019-March-06, 17:07

a

a new low as far as im concerned. the 2 h bid is alerted as 10-20 (no kiddiing)
the 3d bid by my bot part is alerted as 4 + diamonds, 3 hs, 15-16 pts
not i know he doesnt have 15-16 pts and may not have any hs so i pass.
i really dont understand why he bids at all. im down 400 vul fortunatedly just a challenge
and not a paid tournament.

#2 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 19:42

If it is alerted as showing 3 hearts, then revert to the suit where you know you have a fit. The point description is a typo, you know that, but you know he doesn't have diamonds sufficient to overcall. The bid shows diamonds and heart support - he bids because you could have a massive hand, because GIB plays a terrible system here, so he does need to show support.

#3 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 20:47

View PostDozyDom, on 2019-March-06, 19:42, said:

If it is alerted as showing 3 hearts, then revert to the suit where you know you have a fit. The point description is a typo, you know that, but you know he doesn't have diamonds sufficient to overcall. The bid shows diamonds and heart support - he bids because you could have a massive hand, because GIB plays a terrible system here, so he does need to show support.

i can tell u he may NOT have 3 hs. in any case why would he bid at all. NO reason whatsoever.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-March-06, 22:11

Good method-catering to those bad 20 point hands you have to pass in the first round of bidding.
:rolleyes: sorry easy target.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 23:01

The bot bid is awful, and its options ill-defined, but in its defense I think your bid is awful also. There is a reason sequences here are ill-defined and not debugged well -- if the hand is worth 2H it was worth it the previous round IMO. Given the multitude of sequences that need fixing it's right to prioritize the sequences that are actually supposed to come up.

#6 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-07, 07:42

View PostStephen Tu, on 2019-March-06, 23:01, said:

The bot bid is awful, and its options ill-defined, but in its defense I think your bid is awful also. There is a reason sequences here are ill-defined and not debugged well -- if the hand is worth 2H it was worth it the previous round IMO. Given the multitude of sequences that need fixing it's right to prioritize the sequences that are actually supposed to come up.

im glad you found something to make u happy stephen. actually i didnt like my overcall either. pass the first time was in case bots bid higher. hope u have a wonderful day and maybe
find other people to critisize . nevertheless the original question (and only question) was about the bot partners 3d bid.

#7 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-07, 14:11

My first thought was the same as Stephen's. What are you suggesting is the correct definition of 2 - I can't think of any. 3 is silly, but GIB often does silly things when you make a bid that it doesn't understand (some definitions of 'impossible' bids are autogenerated; that doesn't mean it's how GIB understands them).

#8 User is offline   etha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-07, 14:19

I'm not convinced this auction is insane. Auction is live when he got to bid the first time and the opps are limited when he gets to bid the second. I can try to create hands for this auction if you want.

#9 User is offline   thomas c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-08, 10:05

:rolleyes: it is always interesting to get comments from intermediates but hey please learn the difference in a live auction and a limited one. merryman i rate to have at least a 5-2 fit in hearts and i really like to compete.

it remains that my question was the 3d bid by the bot.

sigh. maybe i shouldnt post here. seems to be a lot a animosity

thanx for the positive comment etha

me. im. gone

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-08, 13:07

In normal bridge 2 shows a penalty pass of 1 with a heart suit, say 5-5 in the majors.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-08, 13:26

View Postthomas c, on 2019-March-08, 10:05, said:

:rolleyes: it is always interesting to get comments from intermediates but hey please learn the difference in a live auction and a limited one. merryman i rate to have at least a 5-2 fit in hearts and i really like to compete.

it remains that my question was the 3d bid by the bot.

sigh. maybe i shouldnt post here. seems to be a lot a animosity

I was not intending to be hostile in the slightest. I was simply saying that GIB probably doesn't understand what 2 means (often the case when you see an unusual wide-ranging description like that), and when it doesn't understand what a bid means, it goes crazy. Just because the alert says 10-20 points and 5 hearts, doesn't mean it thinks you have 10-20 points and 5 hearts (Some definitions are autogenerated for humans only).

So if you tell GIB what 2 means, then you solve the problem. I couldn't think of a definition since I've always been taught not to balance over a 1nt rebid (eg dbl = penalty etc), but Cherdano's post makes sense.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users