• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cross-IMP pairs, ruling 1 EBU

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-09, 23:23

Well, I'm not from England, and I've heard of them. I may be "of a certain age" though.

Full disclosure: I did live in England for three years in the early 1990s, and that's where I got back into bridge after nearly 20 years away, but I'm pretty sure that I had heard of Herbert Negatives before then.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-March-10, 13:20

Yeah, I'm in my late 50's, so I'm a young whippersnapper by bridge standards. And I've only been playing for 30 years.

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-10, 13:29

barmar, on 2019-March-10, 13:20, said:

Yeah, I'm in my late 50's, so I'm a young whippersnapper by bridge standards. And I've only been playing for 30 years.

About 5 years younger and been playing 45 years, I didn't really hear about Herbert negatives until a long while after I started and in the context of second negatives to 2

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-March-10, 13:52

Cyberyeti, on 2019-March-10, 13:29, said:

About 5 years younger and been playing 45 years, I didn't really hear about Herbert negatives until a long while after I started and in the context of second negatives to 2

When I started, the popular response method over 2 was HCP steps (2 = 0-3, 2 = 4-6, etc.). After a few years the more common method was cheapest minor = 2nd negative, while more advanced players played control steps. For at least the past 10 years most of my colleagues have used 2 as an immediate negative. But I've never encountered Herbert Negatives.

Actually, I haven't run into lots of things. Bridge Guys has a page listing response systems to 2, and there are about 2 dozen of them, and I'll bet it's not actually complete (it does include Herbert Negative).

#25 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-10, 14:35

barmar, on 2019-March-10, 13:52, said:

Actually, I haven't run into lots of things. Bridge Guys has a page listing response systems to 2, and there are about 2 dozen of them, and I'll bet it's not actually complete (it does include Herbert Negative).

It's an interesting page, but certainly not complete (nor are the suggestions all great ideas). Many pros play transfers here which makes sense although it eats up even more bidding and memory space.
FWIW I endorse cheaper minor as second negative and second suit 4-card, but above all suggest assigning some artificial meaning to the dreaded 2NT response (we play it as both minors).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users