BBO Discussion Forums: Declarer play - tricky (for me) hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Declarer play - tricky (for me) hand

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-23, 01:05

Hi all

I recently had the following hand. Please dont focus on the bidding too much although 4S was a reasonable contract. I was actully planning to go to 4H but was happy to find a 5-3 spade fit. Based on results I think it was slightly better than 4H on the lay of the cards. However ironically 4S can make an overtrick, more likely to go down on the actual lie and most people's play (posted later). Most people in 4H made it but I think it can be set 1 trick

How would you approach this hand after the following tricks. Im wondering if I missed a standard play or if it was unlucky break, or if I should take account of the chance of such a break and should I have taken more account of the lead of the QH :)

1 HQ led by W, won in N by KH, E followed with small heart
2 4D from N, E followed small, won by AD, W played JD
3+4 Two rounds of spades (AK) followed twice (E had Q) with the J left out after those tricks
5 ????????

I decided to play hearts to the Ace. What would you do and why? How would you plan the rest. I was playing IMPs so not really interested in overtricks, just making the contract safely

Sorry I dont know how to put a partial play diagram

regards P

#2 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-February-23, 11:58

View Postthepossum, on 2019-February-23, 01:05, said:

Hi all

I recently had the following hand. Please dont focus on the bidding too much although 4S was a reasonable contract. I was actully planning to go to 4H but was happy to find a 5-3 spade fit. Based on results I think it was slightly better than 4H on the lay of the cards. However ironically 4S can make an overtrick, more likely to go down on the actual lie and most people's play (posted later). Most people in 4H made it but I think it can be set 1 trick

How would you approach this hand after the following tricks. Im wondering if I missed a standard play or if it was unlucky break, or if I should take account of the chance of such a break and should I have taken more account of the lead of the QH :)

1 HQ led by W, won in N by KH, E followed with small heart
2 4D from N, E followed small, won by AD, W played JD
3+4 Two rounds of spades (AK) followed twice (E had Q) with the J left out after those tricks
5 ????????

I decided to play hearts to the Ace. What would you do and why? How would you plan the rest. I was playing IMPs so not really interested in overtricks, just making the contract safely

Sorry I dont know how to put a partial play diagram

regards P

Outside of the heart suit, the dummy's primary asset is the singleton diamond. I'm still deciding if I would take the finesse or not, my first thought is to go up with the A. I would then ruff a low diamond. On the first diamond, west dropped the J, I'd be looking for the K on the second one. If west had KJ, I'd probably play 3 rounds of spades or 2 rounds and exit with the club. If I didn't see the K, I'd take one spade and ruff another diamond.

I assume you were playing against bots, so the heart lead doesn't really mean anything. If you were playing against someone who knew how to play, the heart lead is very suspicious, I'd assume a singleton. Therefore, the heart suit won't provide any extra tricks as you can't set it up then get to it (no entries). If that is the case, you need to ruff some diamonds.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-February-23, 12:06

Win the first Diamond with the Ace, ruff a Diamond, then lead Club to the King.

RHO is close to being endplayed.

If they lead either a club, win the jack
If they lead a Diamond, let it run to the Queen
If they lead a trump, you'll be able to cover the Queen or Jack and them decide what to do from there
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-23, 16:52

Thanks Hardvector and Hrothgar

Here is the full hand

Sadly I didnt take the finesse with West having all the remaining hearts and holding the J trumps and went down 1

Taking the finesse gives you a chance of an overtrick if played well and playing Hrothgar's line with the diamond ruff is a safe line to make the contract if played well. Note I forgot to mention that W played low over my lead to the Ace. Clearly play of the Jack would mean to take the Ace. Thats what I wondering about "standard plays". It reminded me somewhat of some Bridge Master lessons on breaks, probabilities, and finesses

I dont know how all the probabilities of breaks, distribution of points, lead possibilities (QJxx vs singleton Q) etc play out. However I clearly didnt cover all bases and didnt take the safer line of the diamonds. I dont know if the finesse is a safer line in this case on average too?

Many thanks :)

regards P

PS It should be red red

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users