• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An unusual squeeze

#21 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-March-06, 10:34

I tried that and versions of it but Kx opposite Jx was a cook.
I think I have cracked it and will post later.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-06, 15:14

Sorry, I meant AQ2 opposite T6543.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-March-07, 06:14

Cherdano's idea for the club pips is ok, but does not "squeeze" as many tricks as one can! I have realised that declarer only needs nine "top" tricks, not ten, to succeed, such is the effect of the exposure of West's hand. The Hexagon squeeze gains four tricks, either all immediately, or in two sets of two(!):

West made the error of showing his hand to his partner while "waiting for South to lead against 6D, but before South had actually passed". He is made to lead the king of clubs, and declarer must play, ace, jack and then queen of clubs and two more clubs, discarding small cards in both majors from South, while East parts with one card in each major. Now the sixth club squeezes East. If he parts with a diamond, then four rounds of diamonds squeeze him again, and West is forced to unguard the same major as East. If he discards a major, then South discards from the other major, and sets up four tricks in the other major, by getting West to discard the other three cards from that major.

I think the West layout is unique now, as if he began with six or seven cards in a major, then he must still be guarding it in the ending.

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-March-07, 15:29

Lamford writes 'Cherdano's idea for the club pips is ok, but does not "squeeze" as many tricks as one can! I have realised that declarer only needs nine "top" tricks, not ten, to succeed, such is the effect of the exposure of West's hand. The Hexagon squeeze gains four tricks, either all immediately, or in two sets of two(!):West made the error of showing his hand to his partner while "waiting for South to lead against 6D, but before South had actually passed". He is made to lead the king of clubs, and declarer must play, ace, jack and then queen of clubs and two more clubs, discarding small cards in both majors from South, while East parts with one card in each major. Now the sixth club squeezes East. If he parts with a diamond, then four rounds of diamonds squeeze him again, and West is forced to unguard the same major as East. If he discards a major, then South discards from the other major, and sets up four tricks in the other major, by getting West to discard the other three cards from that major. I think the West layout is unique now, as if he began with six or seven cards in a major, then he must still be guarding it in the ending
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well done, Paul.
The play is the same as in my construction but the club suit is more interesting.
Hexagon-squeeze seems the right classification because each defender is "squeezed" in 3 suits
(although it's a bit of a fudge with West being told what to play).
The layout does seem unique.
For example, you can manage only 12 tricks with the layout on the left.

#25 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-March-07, 16:47

Deals based on Cherdano's construction might also work :)

#26 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2019-March-08, 06:27

View Postnige1, on 2019-March-07, 16:47, said:

Yes that certainly works, but whether it is unique might take a bit of a time to check.

#27 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2019-March-08, 12:00

View Postnige1, on 2019-March-07, 16:47, said:

I am afraid you can swap J and 9 or similar, and just force West to pitch the four heart honours on the diamonds.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#28 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-March-08, 14:52

A modification of Cherdano's construction that seems to work and have a unique layout.

For example, this attempt at an alternative defensive distribution seems to fail.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users