Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another pre-empt poser

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-February-17, 04:36

I don't think either I or my partner handled this one well. Certainly we got a poor result! I'd welcome suggestions should something like this crop up again. I'm South, playing acol, Pairs MPs:

What actually happened, my partner doubled, passed to me. Our agreement says that any double of a suit opener is for takeout. What can I do? If I pass declarer might suppose that the outstanding hearts are in my hand, and be somewhat annoyed when they turn out not to be. How can I bid 3NT with no stop in hearts?

I ventured 4 which was passed, though I saw my partner visibly wince. And managed ten tricks fairly easily for the loss of three trump tricks.

3NT is cold, also probably 5. One table even managed 4+2 for a top. And to rub it in, 3X is an 1100 penalty! Afterwards, discussing with partner, we came up with the idea of double of 3-openers being 'optional', partner can pass for penalties if they have nothing to bid. But on this hand I think North should have bid 3NT, rather than X, despite the singleton .

Suggestions?

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-17, 12:02

North needs to bid 3NT rather than doubling.

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-17, 12:48

North has 20 HCP, an almost balanced hand, and a stopper that can even duck 1 round to cut defenders if need be. Unless partner bids S, Xing will result in bidding above the most likely game, 3NT. So 3NT be it.

I however don’t think that playing optional X so low is doable. What will you do with a « nice » opening and 4144, 41(53), 42(43) if partner is going to pass any nondescript 6-8. Pass? A bit pessimistic while partner can still have 10-14...

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-February-17, 22:43

Yep, North needs to bid 3 NT.

#5 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-February-18, 02:17

Sir,this hand has 1.two suits SandC which can provide the number of tricks, for a game or slam contract 2)only 5 winners for a 3NT contract with the danger of going down if a diamond is led(please do not try and construct hands in advance ).How will one bid if the S hand was not disclosed. A bid of 4C/D which shall convey the bid suit and the other major should be considered.(we play it that way) A TOD is unsatisfactory.I one bids 3nt then one is presuming the club suit will provide 5 tricks and there may be one trick outside.A slam or a grand may be on if S has the right cards.A 4C bid showing C and S will be a more descriptive bid..

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-February-18, 02:52

Sir.you ask what should one bid holding the South hand and N has made a TOD.A TOD shows shortness in opponents suit and guarantees support in the rest 3 suits.There is no guarantee of such a HUGE hand with North.With a normal forced TOD North may have much less.SO ,personally feel that.4D was a correct bid.The other alternative, if at all, is 3 Spade ,because normally a TOD will have the other major. rSouth has to bid as if he does not know the disclosed hand of North.

#7 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-18, 03:47

I agree with MsJennifer. Ideally you have 5 but I think 4 showing a strong two suited hand with clubs and spades is the closest option. Second option that no one has mentioned is to pass. Red v green this is a winning option if game is not there or they are down five

Because of the scoring, partner must know that 4 is not going to score well and should try 5. Unfortunately, 4 or 4N will be taken as agreeing diamonds.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-18, 04:28

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-February-18, 02:17, said:

Sir,this hand has 1.two suits SandC which can provide the number of tricks, for a game or slam contract 2)only 5 winners for a 3NT contract with the danger of going down if a diamond is led(please do not try and construct hands in advance ).How will one bid if the S hand was not disclosed. A bid of 4C/D which shall convey the bid suit and the other major should be considered.(we play it that way) A TOD is unsatisfactory.I one bids 3nt then one is presuming the club suit will provide 5 tricks and there may be one trick outside.A slam or a grand may be on if S has the right cards.A 4C bid showing C and S will be a more descriptive bid..

Non-leaping Michaels is possible if you have this agreement (we don't), but the hand is a bit light to make a game-forcing bid.

Remember, that this is MPs and you really need a very good reason to go beyond a potential 3NT contract. Relying on Hamman's Law ("If you have a bidding decision to make, bid 3NT if it's a plausible choice."), I bid 3NT.

#9 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-18, 07:59

Imo dbl of 3 openings should be take out. That being said, north has a somewhat awkward decision to make. Everything can be wrong. Some pairs play 4 m as m and the other major, but this should be 6-4 or better. 3 NT can be disastrous if partner has virtually nothing. Dbl provokes almost certainly a 4 from and is imo the worst choice. One could correct to 4
and hope for the best.

Maarten Baltussen

#10 User is offline   DCal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:reading, playing guitar, bridge of course

Posted 2019-February-18, 12:32

3NT. Partner probably has at least one good card.

#11 User is offline   amre_man 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-February-18, 15:06

With my F2F partners, that N hand requires an X. Too many points for a somewhat misleading bid, which would deny 4 card suit. And no other suit is appropriate.

The South hand also has a problem, using our systems. It has sufficient hcp to require a jump bid. My appropriate response is 5. But that eliminates all chance of a black suit contract.

I fall back on a bid of 4. Telling partner I have points and support for whatever he selects. I would likely pass any subsequent bid he makes.

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2019-February-18, 18:39

View Postrmnka447, on 2019-February-17, 22:43, said:

Yep, North needs to bid 3 NT.

3NT for me as well.

#13 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-18, 19:28

a real toughie. I think those who insist that North has to bid 3NT instead of X are resulting a bit. I think it’s a coin flip. X wins when partner has spades or a good hand with clubs (reverse partners minors and you have an easy club slam). 3NT wins when partner has diamonds, especially if he also has a H honor

I can’t fault X or 4d. I don’t think I would pass 4d, though. That is almost certainly not the best spot. I think I’d probably try 4h (if partner would take this as tell me more) or 5c. If partner bid 4s over 4h I’d pass and let him play the 4-3 fit as he can take h taps in his hand and I have a side source of tricks.

Just my two cents

Cheers
Mike

#14 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-19, 03:21

Thanks for all the tips.
This was the complete deal, btw:

I have to say, I was puzzled as to how the pair in 4 (by N) brought home 12 tricks, until I saw the lead: J! Presumably North ruffed one , lost the finesse, but then mopped up all the rest of the tricks.

But the penalty would have been even better...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users