BBO Discussion Forums: The bots, they hurt my eyes! (Bidding issue with latest bot update) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The bots, they hurt my eyes! (Bidding issue with latest bot update)

#1 User is offline   bplotkin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-February-15, 02:13

Playing in a Robot Duplicate this morning, I had the following hand occur:

Link to hand diagram

Now, admittedly, my 4H bid sucked. In my defense, that's what I get for playing at 12:45 AM when I've only had an hour of sleep :).

But seriously...NO DOUBLE of 4H from the East hand? EARTH TO BOT?

I've seen this sort of thing at other tables several times since the upgrade. The bots penalty doubles were neutered way too much.

Edited to mention the hand was played in 4H at one other table, and 3H at one other table. NEITHER was doubled.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-15, 08:03

Maybe simulations suggested that 4H scored better than letting you run to a minor.

#3 User is offline   bplotkin 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-February-15, 08:53

View Postpescetom, on 2019-February-15, 08:03, said:

Maybe simulations suggested that 4H scored better than letting you run to a minor.

When I don't have a bid over 2S? How likely is a successful five-level runout???

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-February-15, 09:32

View Postbplotkin, on 2019-February-15, 02:13, said:

The bots penalty doubles were neutered way too much.
Bots were doubling on points without trick taking capability.
Apparently it's too hard to program tricks so increased the points!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-15, 09:46

View Postbplotkin, on 2019-February-15, 08:53, said:

How likely is a successful five-level runout???

Undoubled, no worse than 4h (down 3 double dummy). So not a good deal, but it's a close call and a limited number of simulations might go that way.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-15, 20:50

View Postpescetom, on 2019-February-15, 08:03, said:

GIB doesn't "think" like that. If a contract is doubled for penalty, and it gets redoubled for penalty, GIB won't pull the redouble because it has already determined that the double was correct. The redouble doesn't change the original decision.

#7 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-February-16, 03:58

It seems to me that on the whole, the bots bidding is worse in many auctions because of the way they count points- especially adding short points when that cannot possibly make the hand stronger in context.
The fixes are good but when they start opening 4 card majors and do not come close to playing 2/1 lite then it becomes a crapshoot.

#8 User is offline   mlbridge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-16, 04:04

Sometimes playing with BOT is like shooting craps. You never know what you get in bidding or on defense.

I just hope they improved on that stupid law of total tricks. You can open after three passes in fourth seat a weak 2 and the BOT will still raise you with a minimal hand. Or the BOT will never bid NT even though BOT have the stopper. Instead it will continue to cue bid so you end up in the wrong contract. Or instead of opening with a weak 2, the BOT will open in first seat with 10 HCP and a six card suit headed by the K10. Or instead of a negative double, will overcall with a 4 card suit. So one never know if BOT have a 5 card suit or a 4 card suit.

I have no idea how these simulation routines work. But how many times the BOT will not lead the suit you open or overcall with. Sometimes it seems the BOT deliberately will not lead your suit.

#9 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-February-16, 09:38

Sir,ina lighter vein perhaps the robot on your right hand did not double as it thought that his partner robot would take it as balancing double.After all they have no brains or have not they!

#10 User is offline   IGoHomeNow 

• PipPip

Posted 2019-February-16, 21:00

This morning, I opened 1S. Bot says 2C. I raise. Bot says 4D, splinter.. Lacking any Aces, I raise to 5. Bot passes, down 1
Bot has 3 spades and it is cold barring horrific splits.

Splintering when I may only have 3 clubs in preference to showing 3 spades is nuts.

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-17, 01:49

View Postmlbridge, on 2019-February-16, 04:04, said:

Sometimes playing with BOT is like shooting craps. You never know what you get in bidding or on defense.

I just hope they improved on that stupid law of total tricks. You can open after three passes in fourth seat a weak 2 and the BOT will still raise you with a minimal hand. Or the BOT will never bid NT even though BOT have the stopper. Instead it will continue to cue bid so you end up in the wrong contract. Or instead of opening with a weak 2, the BOT will open in first seat with 10 HCP and a six card suit headed by the K10. Or instead of a negative double, will overcall with a 4 card suit. So one never know if BOT have a 5 card suit or a 4 card suit.

I have no idea how these simulation routines work. But how many times the BOT will not lead the suit you open or overcall with. Sometimes it seems the BOT deliberately will not lead your suit.

Sounds like you have a good understanding about GIB that you learned after hard lessons playing in GIB games.

#12 User is offline   svengolly 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-28, 10:16

The worst part about bot play is that it's going to lead to some bad bridge on the part of human players to compensate...especially with all the ACBL events. I have written the ACBL Bridge Bulletin twice about horrible bot decisions affecting sanctioned event outcomes. They've refused to publish my letters.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-March-01, 10:13

Knowing your opponents and taking advantage of their proclivities is normal bridge play. Who among us hasn't bid touchy contracts against the worst pairs in the club, expecting them to give you an extra trick due to their poor defense?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users