BBO Discussion Forums: Tricky opening bid decision with distributional weak hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Tricky opening bid decision with distributional weak hand

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-13, 20:22

Dear all

Playing 2/1 would you open with this hand after RHO passes. Unfavourable vulernability

I felt it was almost worthy of 1H on shape but was unsure about point count. I also considered 2H but it isnt really a weak two shape and the points are in the wrong place. So I decided to pass and enter the auction later which worked ok with a double. Other people used the unusual 2NT (after 1D P 1S) which I havent really learned to use yet.

How do you all feel with this hand. I think a 1H would be fine/borderline but wasnt sure. I was happy with the result of sitting out round one and joining later

regards P

Note. In terms of scoring, defending 3 or 4D scored better than getting to a 4H - 2 which was the alternative competitive outcome

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-13, 20:37

The hand has certainly too much playing strength for 2. So the choice is pass, 1 or 3. Maybe 4 depending on partnership style and vulnerability.

Pass is of course the textbook answer but I see lots of experts opening 3 or even 4. I would be happy to open 1 playing Acol or Precision, but playing 2/1 we want the openings to be a bit sounder so 1 is not ideal, although it might still be a reasonable choice.

It may be difficult to show this hand if you start with pass. If you get the chance to make a weak jump overcall later, it may sound more like a hand that is too weak for a 2 opening. If you make a simple overcall, it may sound more like lead directing.

2NT to show both suits is fine. But you don't always get the chance.

OTOH, any opening would be undisciplined and could backfire.

Good hand to discuss with partner :)

Edit: Just noticed that it was unfavorable vulnerability, 2nd seat. 2nd seat calls for the most disciplined bidding. 4 falls out, then. Probably pass then, especially at IMPs.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-13, 21:40

Thanks Helene

P

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-14, 00:05

I've personally had some good results opening these sort of things 2H, then breaking the normal "rules" of weak 2 bidding by self-raising to 4h when partner raises, and/or getting the 2nd suit in if it's at a reasonable level given relative vulnerability if given a chance to do so.

Opening more hearts seems to preclude ever getting to clubs, and works less well when partner doesn't really have a fit and opps defend. Passing, the opps often bid too many spades to get both suits in anyway and you were better off preempting. Opening 1, partner drives to too many misfit games or bad pen doubles.

But it's hard to say, my sample size isn't really large enough to make super firm conclusions. YMMV.

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-14, 04:08

Hi,

assuming I read it right, you are in 2nd position red vs. green.
If this is the case opening 2H is not the worst you could do.
In this position and with this colors your w2 should be "Krupp Stahl" (rock solid),
obviously, partner should know this.

Also if I recall it correctly, Zia Mahmood and Michael Rosenberg played a style,
that would allow them to open this hand with a w2, planning to followup with bidding
the 2nd suit, showing this kind of hand (65).

I usually pass, planning to enter with a 2-suited overcall.

In general: All approached work reasonably well, as long as you are consistent, and
partner knowes your style.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users