BBO Discussion Forums: Another lead question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another lead question

Poll: Another lead question (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What suit do you lead?

1. Club (19 votes [57.58%])

Percentage of vote: 57.58%

2. Diamond (12 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Heart (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Spade (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-February-02, 10:07

Playing in BBO with a good partner, but no previous discussion about the implications of this double. What suit do you lead?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-February-02, 13:35

I would need to know a little bit more about what the opponents' bidding means.

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-02, 13:42

What do you know about opponents' 2 jump bid?

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2019-February-02, 16:39

I have not seen bidding like this. The opponents are almost surely weak players or have some kind of wire on the hand. In theory the double says lead diamonds, dummy’s first bid suit. It should probably show either the diamond Ace and a sure trump trick or a void and reason to believe that he has another trick somewhere.

Why he thinks the diamond Ace is cashing, or that declarer has a pitch for it (so we need to lead it immediately) is a mystery.

Of course, maybe he holds QJ109 in trump and the opponents are as bad as I think them to be.

I would want to know the meaning of 2D but I assume it’s some sort of strong jump. I don’t think I’ve played against anyone who uses this jumpshift, as strong, in more than 30 years.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-February-02, 17:15

View Postmikeh, on 2019-February-02, 16:39, said:

I have not seen bidding like this. The opponents are almost surely weak players or have some kind of wire on the hand. In theory the double says lead diamonds, dummy’s first bid suit. It should probably show either the diamond Ace and a sure trump trick or a void and reason to believe that he has another trick somewhere.

Why he thinks the diamond Ace is cashing, or that declarer has a pitch for it (so we need to lead it immediately) is a mystery.

Of course, maybe he holds QJ109 in trump and the opponents are as bad as I think them to be.

I would want to know the meaning of 2D but I assume it’s some sort of strong jump. I don’t think I’ve played against anyone who uses this jumpshift, as strong, in more than 30 years.

You haven't played over here then recently, jump shift is often strong here, but often strong and fit showing.

This looks like a lightner double, would not surprise me at all if partner has a club void (and also not surprise me if the ruff merely prevents the overtrick) but our best hope would seem to be that partner still has a trump trick after the ruff.

Maybe opps are 1462/2416 or similar and partner has 6 small spades, QJxx of hearts and a club void.

#6 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-02, 21:43

Sorry guys, but there was no more information available about the opp bids. None of the opp bids were self alerted, but West's 2D bid is presumed to be strong after the jump to 4H.

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-February-03, 00:12

if on BBO then it is futile to ask the meaning of 2D.So a small CLUB is my choice.

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-February-03, 00:45

I'm leading 7.

I'm asking myself "What kind of hand can opener have that bids slam after responder shows a suit and raises ". If opener had a short hand, I don't think there's a hand that would fit that bidding scenario. So, I'm giving opener length.

Secondly, I'm expecting a "good partner" to know what a Lightner double is. So I'm leading a expecting partner to ruff.

I'm not leading a low which partner might interpret as a suit preference for . A return might give away the whole suit. I'm also keeping Q10 which might yield a second trick if partner is void.

#9 User is offline   pes_6 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-February-03, 01:46

I can't belive the most choose lead. That's suit of player behind leader. I choose lead, that was unbid suit, if my partner didn't bid x on final contract than my lead is .

#10 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 02:09

View Postpes_6, on 2019-February-03, 01:46, said:

I can't belive the most choose lead. That's suit of player behind leader.

Double specifically asks you to make an unusual lead. If I wanted a spade lead I definitely wouldn't double.

It normally asks me to lead dummy's suit, but I'm going with a club also. But agree with Mike the opponents probably don't know what they're doing.

#11 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 02:31

Maybe I'm thick, but I trust partner. Either it's lightner for a diamond or partner has the contract down whatever the lead.

#12 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 02:33

View Postsilvr bull, on 2019-February-02, 10:07, said:

Playing in BBO with a good partner, but no previous discussion about the implications of this double. What suit do you lead?

I actually suspect your partner's double here is based on something like QJT8 of trump. But if not, then he either has the AKd or a void somewhere. I'd say the latter is far more likely given your hand, so I will try a club.

Cheers,
Mike

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 02:52

I agree with Mike, the opps are presumably very weak. Yes, the jump is presumably strong (very strong since it's a minor), but it is usually either a very good quality single suiter, or showing a good suit and support for partner's suit. An agreement to make a strong jump with a 2-suited hand is curious, to say the least. The 4H bid is inconsistent wigh either of these options.

Subsequent bidding is also inconsistent with the bid being strong. A strong jump 2D is forcing to game, so why has West jumped to 4H, rather than conserving space and bidding 3H? And why has east jumped to slam with no check on controls, but not looked for a geand slam?

The only slightly sensible construction that I could think of is that 1C is precision, 2D is natural and positive, 2H is East's suit (possibly with diamond support) and east has all of the controls and enough to bid slam opposite a positive with heart support and a diamond suit. In this scenario, I lead a diamond.

#14 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 12:34

I guessed that partner's double could be the DA and a slow trump trick (like the QJT). If so, then it is essential to lead a D at trick one before declarer's Ds can be pitched on the high Ss in dummy. The hand I guessed would be something like this:
Note: Example hands edited. Thanks smerriman!

West....East
AKx.....void
Kxxx....Axxxx
Kxxxxx..Jx
void....AKJxxx

Another possibility could be partner having a D void and a trump trick. Those hands would look similar to this:

AKJ.....void
Qxxx....KJTx
AKJxxx..xxxx
void....AKJxx

If partner does not have a C void, leading a C could be costly for us. So I led a D. I posted this to see what other people would lead.

Unfortunately, the actual hands were as shown below. The majority who led a C got this one right.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-February-03, 13:27

Can I throw a bucket of something unpleasant at W for the 2 bid please

#16 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 13:59

In your first guessed hand, the contract goes down half a trick - you tie the third spade and claim stalemate. (If, say, you swap West's Q with the J, and replace a small diamond in East with a small spade, it's down on any lead - throwing all of the diamonds still leaves you with all of the club losers).

Of course, E/W's bidding is nonsense in all three scenarios..

#17 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-February-03, 14:05

Cyberyeti -- You sure can. You could very adequately bid the West hand by bidding 1 and reversing into 2 if available on the 2nd round.

BTW, one consideration in choosing a versus a lead is that a lead may give away the whole suit. If partner has the A, it's unlikely to go away.

#18 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 14:16

It's a Lightner double, which asks for an unusual lead, such as dummy's first bid suit, but the bidding and your hand make it more likely partner has a club void, so lead a club.

#19 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2019-February-04, 03:21

Hi

the X should be a Lightner ... asking for a minor, I pick my longest.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-February-04, 04:52

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2019-February-04, 03:21, said:

Hi

the X should be a Lightner ... asking for a minor, I pick my longest.

With kind regards
Marlowe

Yup, this is to me a much more difficult problem if W just bid 6 rather than 4 and E bidding 6. Now he could be something stupid like 0490 and the diamond lead could be right.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users