BBO Discussion Forums: Request a flag? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Request a flag?

#1 User is offline   Adriaantje 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 2005-June-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Leiden, Netherlands
  • Interests:Board games & African culture

Posted 2019-January-26, 09:10

Hi there! Am I able to request a flag? I recently moved to Ghana and wanted to change the flag on my BBO profile, but Ghana is not in the list (the drop-down menu out of which you can select your country of residence). Can it be added in some way? Thanks!
0

#2 User is offline   jdromore 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2019-January-27

Posted 2019-January-27, 03:02

Northern Ireland / Ulster needs one too. None of the countries listed cover this little spot.
Great Britain only covers England, Scotland and Wales. United Kingdom, which does, is not available in the list, and has a political resonance some may prefer to avoid. Ulster is actually an area covering all of Northern Ireland but also some of Ireland.
But it would be nice to renounce my citizenship of Kyrgyzstan so it would.
0

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 862
  • Joined: 2013-February-24
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dundee Scotland United Kingdom
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-January-27, 07:40

I would suggest you address your requests to Uday the owner of BBO and see what he says about this.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)


"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog
0

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,101
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2019-January-27, 08:12

View Postjdromore, on 2019-January-27, 03:02, said:

Northern Ireland / Ulster needs one too. None of the countries listed cover this little spot.
Great Britain only covers England, Scotland and Wales. United Kingdom, which does, is not available in the list, and has a political resonance some may prefer to avoid. Ulster is actually an area covering all of Northern Ireland but also some of Ireland.
But it would be nice to renounce my citizenship of Kyrgyzstan so it would.

It's interesting to note that the options at Funbridge include Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man, but not separate flags for England, Scotland or Wales, although that is how they are represented in international competition. Since Ireland is represented as a whole, it's perhaps less surprising that there isn't one for Northern Ireland.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#5 User is offline   Adriaantje 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 2005-June-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Leiden, Netherlands
  • Interests:Board games & African culture

Posted 2019-January-27, 15:45

View PostPhilG007, on 2019-January-27, 07:40, said:

I would suggest you address your requests to Uday the owner of BBO and see what he says about this.

Thanks, I'll forward it to him.
0

#6 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 18,097
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2019-January-28, 02:25

BBO's policy for adding a flag was posted here:

Quote

1) A person who lives in that "region" must ask for us to add the flag.

2) Either that region must be defined as a "country" by the United Nations or be recognized by the World Bridge Federation (WBF). WBF recognition is defined as participation in a recent World Teams Olympiad.

Northern Ireland is not an independent member of the United Nations, it's part of the United Kingdom. That flag is listed as Great Britain in our country list.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,400
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2019-January-28, 14:32

View Postbarmar, on 2019-January-28, 02:25, said:

Northern Ireland is not an independent member of the United Nations, it's part of the United Kingdom. That flag is listed as Great Britain in our country list.

If UK is recognised by the UN then it sounds like BBO have their answer.
I think the flag is called Union Jack :)
0

#8 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 18,097
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2019-January-29, 09:01

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-28, 14:32, said:

If UK is recognised by the UN then it sounds like BBO have their answer.
I think the flag is called Union Jack :)

BBO flag for Great Britain:

Posted Image

Wikipedia flag for United Kingdon:

Posted Image

What's the difference?

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,400
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2019-January-29, 11:21

View Postbarmar, on 2019-January-29, 09:01, said:

What's the difference?


The difference is that BBO wrongly designates the flag (and the nation) as Great Britain rather than United Kingdom.

The flag of Great Britain was an earlier version of the Union Jack, abandoned long before bridge was born:
Flag of Great Britain
0

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,101
  • Joined: 2009-July-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 2019-January-29, 12:12

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-29, 11:21, said:

The difference is that BBO wrongly designates the flag (and the nation) as Great Britain rather than United Kingdom.

The flag of Great Britain was an earlier version of the Union Jack, abandoned long before bridge was born:
Flag of Great Britain

I’ve just learned something!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK
0

#11 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 18,097
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2019-January-30, 11:14

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-29, 11:21, said:

The difference is that BBO wrongly designates the flag (and the nation) as Great Britain rather than United Kingdom.

The flag of Great Britain was an earlier version of the Union Jack, abandoned long before bridge was born:
Flag of Great Britain

I don't think we ever show country names anywhere, just flags, except in the menu where you select it. I doubt anyone is really confused enough by the difference that this fix should get high priority.

#12 User is online   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,731
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 2019-January-30, 14:39

View Postbarmar, on 2019-January-30, 11:14, said:

I don't think we ever show country names anywhere, just flags, except in the menu where you select it. I doubt anyone is really confused enough by the difference that this fix should get high priority.

I can imagine that some Northern Irelanders may take exception to this. And doesn't it look more professionally to name countries correctly? It's a bit like all those who said "Russia" back in the days when they were referring to USSR. Or "Holland" instead of The Netherlands.
... most of the new ideas I get are pretty "boring", mostly focusing on constructive methods rather than destructive ones --- Kungsgeten
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users