• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tricky Takeout

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-17, 16:41

The conservative combination of Pass and 3 cost me a tournament, although maybe partner could have risked 3NT. Alternatives, such as 3 over the double of unknown partner?

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 17:08

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-17, 16:41, said:

The conservative combination of Pass and 3 cost me a tournament, although maybe partner could have risked 3NT. Alternatives, such as 3 over the double of unknown partner?

If I was your partner and bid 3NT, you still would have lost the tournament because I would have misguessed diamonds and gone down.

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2019-January-17, 17:51

I don't see the initial pass as necessarily a problem. But once partner doubles a weak 2 bid, 3 is a serious underbid.

Even if you play a Lebensohl 2 NT response to double of a weak 2 bid to show bust hands, a 3 response is still a serious underbid. 3 shows something more than a bust according to partnership agreement. I think it show at least a 6-7 count, otherwise you Lebensohl and pass or correct. (One good player I play with insists it shows even more.) The whole point is to avoid making the doubler guess what to do when holding a more than minimum double.

If you don't play it, 3 could be made on a zero count, so can't be right.

3 , for me, remains the bid of choice to get partner to understand that game is likely opposite the double even if partner is an unknown quantity. If partner doesn't field it properly, that's his/her problem. If you bid incorrectly, then it's on partner. Partner is likely to bid 3 NT and, as johnu suggests, likely to misguess the finesse and go down. It may be small consolation, but avoids the wear and tear of recriminations.

Good bidding doesn't always get you to the right spot, just a reasonably good spot.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 18:12

View Postrmnka447, on 2019-January-17, 17:51, said:

I don't see the initial pass as necessarily a problem. But once partner doubles a weak 2 bid, 3 is a serious underbid.

Even if you play a Lebensohl 2 NT response to double of a weak 2 bid to show bust hands, a 3 response is still a serious underbid. 3 shows something more than a bust according to partnership agreement. I think it show at least a 6-7 count, otherwise you Lebensohl and pass or correct. (One good player I play with insists it shows even more.) The whole point is to avoid making the doubler guess what to do when holding a more than minimum double.

If you don't play it, 3 could be made on a zero count, so can't be right.

3 , for me, remains the bid of choice to get partner to understand that game is likely opposite the double even if partner is an unknown quantity. If partner doesn't field it properly, that's his/her problem. If you bid incorrectly, then it's on partner. Partner is likely to bid 3 NT and, as johnu suggests, likely to misguess the finesse and go down. It may be small consolation, but avoids the wear and tear of recriminations.

Good bidding doesn't always get you to the right spot, just a reasonably good spot.

3 tends to be staymanic particularly if you do play leb leading to a VERY tricky 4.

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 18:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-17, 18:12, said:

3 tends to be staymanic particularly if you do play leb leading to a VERY tricky 4.

Wouldn't that be leb followed by 3S (or 3NT, depending on whether you have a stopper or not)?

#6 User is offline   billyjef 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:solitude, bridge, philosophy, evolution, game theory, science, neuroscience, psychology, atheism, mindfulness and the distraction of TV

Posted 2019-January-17, 22:53

South could overcall 2NT, not that I wouldn't want more than the AT, but it ain't Christmas either :). I agree with the rest, pass is fine, 3 is an underbid.
Jef Pratt
Surrendering to existential truth is the beginning of enlightenment.

#7 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-18, 03:34

I would bid 2NT, not X, primarily because I hold the spade ten. That means Jxx opposite is going to produce a second trick. If you X, you're going to have a very awkward call over a 2NT Leb bid by partner.

If you don't play Leb over X of weak 2, you should do so. I disagree with all of the above posters -- after a X, I think 3C is just fine provided you play Leb. That means it's 8-11 or so. Seems like what you have. 3S is a gross overbid; your partner may have something like:

Kx
AJxx
Qxxx
Axx

and now you are in deep doo-doo.

Over a 3C 8-11 bid, you have an easy 3NT call.

#8 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-18, 03:50

Some might say it was "the rub of the green" because the weak 2 bidder held ATxx of hearts and most games go down. There won't be a discovery play available so making a minor part score would often score 60%. Barry
Crane would open the North hand and there they would be at 3 NT making when the diamond queen comes down doubleton on a good guess. I would suppose 2NT in response to the double makes good sense regardless of the meaning...NO reason to beat yourself up over this one!

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-18, 03:55

View Postmiamijd, on 2019-January-18, 03:34, said:

I would bid 2NT, not X, primarily because I hold the spade ten.

I agree with this.

Also, using the same logic. if I chose to double and received a 3 response (playing Lebensohl), I would bid 3NT, hoping that partner's spades are robust enough to provide a second stop. Even XXX in partner's hand might be enough if we hold up the first round and East does not have a side entry.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-18, 04:45

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-January-17, 18:36, said:

Wouldn't that be leb followed by 3S (or 3NT, depending on whether you have a stopper or not)?

2N-3-3 and direct 3 are both staymanic with/without a stop, you can play this either way round.

3N either way says I want to play 3N, I don't have 4 hearts, with/without a spade stop either way round.

#11 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-18, 07:53

You could overcall 2NT and partner would raise to 3NT, but down one is likely.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-18, 08:12

View Postnudnikbp, on 2019-January-18, 07:53, said:

You could overcall 2NT and partner would raise to 3NT, but down one is likely.

Down a lot more than one is likely, they lead a spade, you win, cash 4 clubs as E pitches hearts, a top diamond and then finesse into the presumed short hand for -3

#13 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-January-18, 08:52

not sure why we'd get the diamonds wrong, if east is 6 x x 1 surely 6331 or 6241 are more likely than 6421?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-January-18, 09:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-18, 08:12, said:

Down a lot more than one is likely, they lead a spade, you win, cash 4 clubs as E pitches hearts, a top diamond and then finesse into the presumed short hand for -3

One table did indeed go -3 in this way, but at another 5 tables S made 3NT, usually by cashing A and running the T (whatever their reasoning was).

At another 3 tables N played making 11 or 12 tricks.

Just 4 tables let E play spades, 3 of them being 3SEx-2.

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2019-January-18, 09:34

Thanks to all for the thoughtful comments.

As I said, I had an unknown partner, and for the record Polish too: a fine nation of bridge players, but not exactly mainstream in terms of bidding :) I guessed he would take account of the lack of Lebensohl, but I honestly had no idea how he would take 3, which looked to me a slight overbid anyway. So 3 seemed the only safe option, even if a bit feeble. Interesting to note that one guy bid 3 in the same situation, go figure why but it did work out better.

I looked through the bidding of the other 14 tables. Seven started P P 2 X and five started P P 1, only one started P 1. Most of those who got to 3NT did so after the opponents went to 3, sometimes after 3, so I guess I didn't do anything terribly wrong compared to my peers.

#16 User is offline   billyjef 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:solitude, bridge, philosophy, evolution, game theory, science, neuroscience, psychology, atheism, mindfulness and the distraction of TV

Posted 2019-January-18, 09:53

View Postbillyjef, on 2019-January-17, 22:53, said:

South could overcall 2NT, not that I wouldn't want more than the AT, but it ain't Christmas either :). I agree with the rest, pass is fine, 3 is an underbid.

If you are playing Leb, as now it seems you were, then 3 is not an underbid.
Jef Pratt
Surrendering to existential truth is the beginning of enlightenment.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-18, 09:54

View Posteagles123, on 2019-January-18, 08:52, said:

not sure why we'd get the diamonds wrong, if east is 6 x x 1 surely 6331 or 6241 are more likely than 6421?

Yeah, but E will discard 3 hearts on the clubs, so you can discount 6241, in fact it looks like he has A as he hasn't let a spade go, so you'd have to believe he was not only 6-4 in the majors, but also had a 10 count and not opened 1 with that shape to play him for the Q.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-January-18, 11:45

Sirs,I find it strange that East opted for a bid of 2S holding the given hand, on the given vulnerability, when in my opinion it is a safe 1S opening playing Drury.Leaving aside that, holding the given Hand with a four carder heart suit and only a doubleton SA it is an unwise 2NT overcall .And after a double North has to make a Baron bid of 3C to show 9 plus hand when playing Lebensohl or failing that to bid 3S to deny a 4 carder heart suit but game force asking doubler to bid suits up the line.Knowing that responder does not have four cards in hearts South can start with the lowest minor suit.On a different hand doubler can bid his 5+ heart suit or 3NT etc as the hand warrants

#19 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2019-January-18, 14:16

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-17, 16:41, said:

"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#20 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-18, 15:45

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-18, 09:07, said:

One table did indeed go -3 in this way, but at another 5 tables S made 3NT, usually by cashing A and running the T (whatever their reasoning was).

At another 3 tables N played making 11 or 12 tricks.

Just 4 tables let E play spades, 3 of them being 3SEx-2.

I imagine that most easts opened one spade, not two. If so it’s fairly obvious to play east for the diamond queen. Against a 2S opening it’s much more of a guess.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users