• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Squeeze or finesse (or...)

#1 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-16, 01:18

Unknown auction, but final contract is known. Assume total points or IMPs.

Opening lead 6

A black suit squeeze is fairly simple and the Q might drop while clearing the Vienna coup winners in that suit.
That would succeed if either opponent holds both black aces which seems close to 50%.

Or we could just try a 50% hook. By choosing the finesse, we can still test for an unprotected Q before committing to the finesse.

Is there a good reason to choose one line over the other (other than that a squeeze is sexier).

Today, it did not really matter - RHO held Qx of clubs!
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-16, 08:35

Presumably you will duck a club to rectify the count, draw trumps eliminating the diamonds on the way and play off the two top clubs before running the hearts.

If the queen of clubs does not fall and west holds the length in clubs you have to play west for queen of spades and finesse (the show-up squeeze will reveal). If east has the heart length you reduce to:
KJ - - 4

3 6 - 10

On the last heart you pitch the club from dummy and have to read the position and judge whether wast holds the queen of spades and has reduced to QX or east holds the ace and has reduced to Q Q.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-16, 09:34

View PostTramticket, on 2019-January-16, 08:35, said:

Presumably you will duck a club to rectify the count, draw trumps eliminating the diamonds on the way and play off the two top clubs before running the hearts.

If the queen of clubs does not fall and west holds the length in clubs you have to play west for queen of spades and finesse (the show-up squeeze will reveal). If east has the heart length you reduce to:
KJ - - 4

3 6 - 10

On the last heart you pitch the club from dummy and have to read the position and judge whether wast holds the queen of spades and has reduced to QX or east holds the ace and has reduced to Q Q.

Did you mean duck a diamond ?

#4 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-16, 09:43

View PostTramticket, on 2019-January-16, 08:35, said:

KJ - - 4

3 6 - 10

If I could "duck a club" then I would have my 12 tricks -- unfortunately, the opps would have their 2nd defensive trick first.
For the squeeze, I would duck the opening lead to rectify the count (which is what I did at the table). Draw trumps, cash the top clubs (the 10 in my hand will be the threat), Return to hand with the A and run the remaining hearts (pitching dummies clubs). This will squeeze either opponent holding both black queens and it is automatic -- if the 10 has not become good, then either the Q will drop or the black queens were held in separate hands. If clubs split 5-0 or 4-1 and the Q does not drop, I will know where the Q is but it is not clear that that will give me a useful read on the Q.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-16, 10:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-16, 09:34, said:

Did you mean duck a diamond ?

Yes

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-16, 11:43

View PostBillHiggin, on 2019-January-16, 01:18, said:

Unknown auction, but final contract is known.

It's an insidious auction if N is dealer and you play a natural system: 1 - 1; 2NT - ?
We play that 3 is a game force and then suit by opener is a control-bid, but otherwise it might get tricky.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-16, 14:17

View Postpescetom, on 2019-January-16, 11:43, said:

It's an insidious auction if N is dealer and you play a natural system: 1 - 1; 2NT - ?
We play that 3 is a game force and then suit by opener is a control-bid, but otherwise it might get tricky.

I've a nasty feeling I might end up playing this one in clubs.

1-1-1N(15-bad 19)- now we have a close choice between 2 checkback and 3 forcing.

I think I choose 2 as the same hand with Ax, AKQJx plays better in clubs

So after 2-3(5, 17-bad 19)-3(5+) we get another tricky decision as to whether to agree hearts with AQ.

It's a generally tricky auction.

#8 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-16, 17:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-January-16, 14:17, said:

I've a nasty feeling I might end up playing this one in clubs.

It's a generally tricky auction.

Its a simple auction -- This was a par type contest and the instructions were to play 6H by S with 6 opening lead. So the bidding at the table went just as shown!

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-16, 19:15

View PostBillHiggin, on 2019-January-16, 09:43, said:

For the squeeze, I would duck the opening lead to rectify the count (which is what I did at the table).

If I tried that, the diamonds would break 1-7 :-( You can play safe by taking DA, draw trumps and then exit a diamond, since it's the long trump hand that has the doubleton diamond.

ahydra

#10 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 04:09

One choice= draw trumps then play A K THEN PLAY J Pitching declarer diamond.

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 04:22

View PostdsLawsd, on 2019-January-17, 04:09, said:

One choice= draw trumps then play A K THEN PLAY J Pitching declarer diamond.

Aren't you now locked into taking the club finesse, unless Q drops doubleton? It must be better to play the top clubs hoping the Q drops doubleton and falling back on the spade finesse or squeeze?

#12 Guest_AlphaKappa_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2019-January-17, 08:49

Aren't you now locked into taking the club finesse, unless Q♠ drops doubleton? It must be better to play the top clubs hoping the Q♣ drops doubleton and falling back on the spade finesse or squeeze?

I think this is the right line of play.

Incidentally, the squeeze needs both black queens in the same hand. I don't think that is anywhere near a 50% chance. Take Ace at once, draw trumps, cash A,K and then, last resort, finesse in .

#13 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 11:45

View PostAlphaKappa, on 2019-January-17, 08:49, said:

Incidentally, the squeeze needs both black queens in the same hand. I don't think that is anywhere near a 50% chance.

Yes, the squeeze needs both black queens to be in the same hand, but at the time that we need to make the decision we will already know where the queen of clubs is located. Say the queen of clubs is on our right: as we lead a spade to trick 12 it is theoetically 50:50 who has the spade queen - either it is on our left and we should finesse, or it is on our right and the squeeze has succeeded. You have to guess which opponent holds the queen and may have some clues from the play to date.

#14 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 12:10

View PostAlphaKappa, on 2019-January-17, 08:49, said:

I think this is the right line of play.

Incidentally, the squeeze needs both black queens in the same hand. I don't think that is anywhere near a 50% chance.

The possibilities for the black queens:
A) Both are on your left.
B) The Q is on your left and the Q is on your right.
C) The Q is on your right and the Q is on your left.
D) Both are on your right.

Each of these are as likely as the others -- i.e. 25% .
Therefore, 50% of the time, both Queens will be in the same hand and 50% of the time they will be in opposite hands.
The squeeze is slightly better than a 50% overall chance because of the possibility that the Q will drop. There might be other adjustments (others are suggesting one might read the situation and fall back on the finesse, but my olds-timers restricted head is not quite grasping that yet).

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-January-17, 12:24

The chance that both queens are in the same hand is slightly under 50:50. Once you have one queen, you have 12 vacant spaces for the other while your partner has 13.

If clubs were 3-2, you don't know where the Q is, you only know when they're 4-1.

If W has 4 clubs and 6 small spades you get a show-up squeeze allowing you to drop the Qx opposite.

#16 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 12:44

Deleted - nonsense

#17 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-17, 18:33

Provided RHO never bid diamonds (in which case the opening lead might be a stiff), I suppose the "normal" line is to duck the first diamond; win the second one; draw trump; play the AKc; and if the Q hasn't shown up, then return to your hand with the As and run your trump.

At then end, you'll have to decide whether LHO has the Qs (hook it) or RHO has both the Qs and the Qc (squeeze). Lacking anything else to go on, you should hook the Qs at the end. But sometimes RHO will show up with four clubs and LHO will pitch most of his spades.

Cheers,
Mike

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-January-17, 18:40

BillHiggin writes "Unknown auction, but final contract is known. Assume total points or IMPs.Opening lead 6A black suit squeeze is fairly simple and the Q might drop while clearing the Vienna coup winners in that suit.That would succeed if either opponent holds both black aces which seems close to 50%.Or we could just try a 50% hook. By choosing the finesse, we can still test for an unprotected Q before committing to the finesse.Is there a good reason to choose one line over the other (other than that a squeeze is sexier."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Summarizing:: Win A.
Draw 5 rounds of trumps, discarding 2s and a
Cross to K succeeding when Q is singleton about 6%
Otheriwise exit in s
Ruff the return
If RHO showed out in s then finesse J. (2%)
Otherwise discard a and cash K succeeding when either opponent has Qx doubleton (27%)
Otherwise if LHO has 4 s, play an unlikely show up squeeze.
Otherwise take the finesse (succeeding in 50% of the rest = about 33%)
i.e. You make about 2/3 of the time..

#19 User is offline   ncohen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-January-17, 19:35

If the 6 of D lead is 4th best, then it's likely from 5 (if W has the 2) or 4 (if E does), although perhaps it's from 3. Anyhow, you might get some sort of count on diamonds from the discards. That will help at the end when you decide whether to finesse W or play for the drop.

#20 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-January-18, 11:14

Sir,I shall duck the diamond lead(not fearing that diamonds could be 1/7).win the diamond return and continue to draw two rounds of trumps and cash CK.Return to remove the trumps and then lead a club toward the Ace and now if west shows out I shall finally play on the spade finesse,.If W answers the second club but the Q does not appear then I shall personally fall back on the spade finesse.This keeps the automatic =Vienna Coup on West if he has both Queens.If not then I can fall back on the Spade finesse .I feel that this line is a good one.THANKS ALL.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users